Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 hours ago, izzymuzzet said:

Starmer is not popular - albeit he is still the most popular party leader. 

It’s just not true to say Labour isn’t popular amongst 18-24 year olds. They’re polling the same as they did in the 2019 election amongst that age group. They are very unpopular amongst a small group of very online young people, but the polling suggests that group is not representative of your average teen/early 20-something. 

Obviously it’s likely that if elected they will become less popular with all demographics, because that’s what happens to every government. 

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg

this is the problem with voting intention polls - how much of that support for labour is "they're the only option to get the tories out" vs actual support for labour? like my experience as a 30 year old - I don't know a single person who actually likes starmer, which is reflected by his abysmal approval ratings (being in opposition while the government commits drawn out ritual suicide should be pretty damn easy). "I'm not rishi sunak" will work for this election sure, but eventually you have to say who you are, and starmer has nothing going for him. 

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

He might not be wildly popular, but this simply is not true.

what does he offer then? he's abandoned every single one of his pledges made thus far and he's less than a week into the campaign and already pissed off the unions:

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

what does he offer then? he's abandoned every single one of his pledges made thus far and he's less than a week into the campaign and already pissed off the unions:

A climate plan that actually takes the issue vaguely seriously, but then I'm happy to be proven wrong there.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A climate plan that actually takes the issue vaguely seriously, but then I'm happy to be proven wrong there.

Far from being happy, I would be very dismayed if you are. 

40 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Far from being happy, I would be very dismayed if you are. 

Well, happy from the point of view of learning a new matter of fact, rather than being happy at the corollary that no party of import in the UK has any idea of dealing with the biggest issue our species faces by far.

Just now, Daggers said:

buT HEs a ReaL fAn 

Bet he's probably a big cricket or rugby fan, but is scared to say that he hates the game in case he upsets the working class..:whistle:

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

then you'll be very sad to hear that labour are taking money from climate sceptic groups and dropped their green investment pledge: https://news.sky.com/story/rachel-reeves-accepted-donation-from-lord-donoughue-linked-to-climate-sceptic-group-gwpf-13072147

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

buT HEs a ReaL fAn 

I mean with Brooks going off injured yesterday, Southampton are in need of a new right winger, and he'll be out of contract just as preseason starts. works for everyone, get it done Russell

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

You said 'he has nothing going for him', which I will answer.

Whatever his merits as a leader or mistakes made, this is a guy who has not come from privilege, has had a hugely (and deserved) successful career in law, and thus has proved competence at the highest level - there are many politicans of all colours who fall short in that alone. 

You are of course welcome to your dislike of him, but it reeks of absolutism (dogma), and the sort of thing the left does to itself time and again, turn on their own harder than they turn on the real enemy. They did it to Corbyn too, which I found equally despicable and depressing. But to say he offers 'nothing' is pure BS.

sorry, should have been clearer, he offers nothing in a political sense, on account of how he keeps ditching and watering down every pledge and policy suggested. the whole "working class kid done well for themself" stuff is no more something he offers than something Thatcher offered and if it's the biggest selling point for someone to be PM we might as well go back to 2021 and have Marcus Rashford as prime minister again.

while the lefts favourite hobby might be infighting, it's not exactly relevant here because starmer isn't left wing? the positions he's taken in office thus far is that of a small c conservative, the sort that would have been welcomed in the coalition era when Cameron was doing the whole liberaliser, "big society" schtick. it's that the tories have, over the past 5 years, gone full throttle down the far-right pipeline that positions him as separate from the tories.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

then you'll be very sad to hear that labour are taking money from climate sceptic groups and dropped their green investment pledge: https://news.sky.com/story/rachel-reeves-accepted-donation-from-lord-donoughue-linked-to-climate-sceptic-group-gwpf-13072147

...hence the use of the word "vaguely" in my OP.

But again, though, I know that "not as bad as the Tories" is not good enough for a lot of people and that's entirely their prerogative.

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Why doesn’t everyone reply to him with a picture of an attractive pig?

Hmmm "attractive" pig... So you're saying there is a chance 🤣

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

10.39, and TRIPLE LOCK PLUS because apparently pensioners are the ones struggling.

A demographic also known for being active on social media at 2230.

• Haha 3

Labour are a bolt on who will largely have SNP and Green support if climate shut down and generous funding is available. We know Sir Keir is 99% certain he knows what a woman is and is humbled enough to take the knee to foreign inspired activist groups. As for policies, those will maybe come to pass later.