Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Employ graduates on graduate salaries do you?

Just because you can’t fill social care roles doesn’t mean there are a wealth of opportunities for physicists or psychologists. 

Your experience does not equal current reality. 

We employ grads, there is a real shortage of them. 

The industries we work in are short in all roles from low skilled to high skilled. Skilled tradesman will be the investment bankers of the future I reckon.

I'm not familiar with the job situation for physicists and psychologists. Perhaps they are the exception in the jobs market, I can only talk from the experience I have in construction which is dire and getting worse.

Just now, kenny said:

We employ grads, there is a real shortage of them. 

The industries we work in are short in all roles from low skilled to high skilled. Skilled tradesman will be the investment bankers of the future I reckon.

I'm not familiar with the job situation for physicists and psychologists. Perhaps they are the exception in the jobs market, I can only talk from the experience I have in construction which is dire and getting worse.

The graduate job market is beyond dead. Stop fibbing. Outside of exclusive jobs for Russell Group grads (or the Forces/police), it’s shelf stacking or burger flipping. 

What you are writing is so foreign to my experience with my kids you ought to start a thread posting your vacancies. My boy has been hunting for 18 months, my daughter is a month in - nothing. 

Name your grad vacancies and salaries. 

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The graduate job market is beyond dead. Stop fibbing. Outside of exclusive jobs for Russell Group grads (or the Forces/police), it’s shelf stacking or burger flipping. 

What you are writing is so foreign to my experience with my kids you ought to start a thread posting your vacancies. My boy has been hunting for 18 months, my daughter is a month in - nothing. 

Name your grad vacancies and salaries. 

We are only small so take 1 a year at £27k.

I want to ditch this and start taking school leavers as high level apprentices to cut the universities out as they learn more in the workplace anyway.

Other businesses in the sector are struggling big time to find staff at all levels. Lots of posts are filled with foreign graduates from India and Pakistan.

I'm not here to provide career advice but I would strongly suggest careers in the construction or quarrying sectors. Salaries have risen 30% since COVID and good people are in very short supply.

https://uniswales.ac.uk/strong-demand-graduates-amid-uk-skills-shortage

Interesting link for clarity.

Edited by kenny

32 minutes ago, kenny said:

That’s complete horseshit and, although I’ve no idea what it was like in 2022, doesn’t even slightly reflect the reality in 2024. 

Teacher training, shop assistant, the Army, the RAF: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate-jobs-results?sortBy=dp&advert_top=17181&size=20&page=0&region=58#results

That is repeated across every agency covering opportunities for the East Midlands. 

25 minutes ago, Daggers said:

That’s complete horseshit and, although I’ve no idea what it was like in 2022, doesn’t even slightly reflect the reality in 2024. 

Teacher training, shop assistant, the Army, the RAF: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate-jobs-results?sortBy=dp&advert_top=17181&size=20&page=0&region=58#results

That is repeated across every agency covering opportunities for the East Midlands. 

I don't use that website and aren't aware of it. Perhaps other employers aren't either.

A similar search on Google came up with 100+ grad jobs in the east midlands and 100+ in Leicester alone.

We have more openings in our business of 13 people than are advertised on that board. Perhaps it's a duffer?

There has been an unofficial pause on spending in the public sector recently, it started around 3 months ago once it was clear there was an election looming. I suspect there will be some relaxing of this in the coming months.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Is it possible there might be more opportunities outside the East Midlands?  I wish them luck!  If it were me I would get on a plane to Australia on a 3 year Working Holiday visa!

You think we’ve got problems in the UK? France is about to vote in a far right party and my prediction is that things are about to get very nasty there and you think they had issues with the Muslim terrorist attacks before? It’s going to get a lot worse..

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is it possible there might be more opportunities outside the East Midlands?  I wish them luck!  If it were me I would get on a plane to Australia on a 3 year Working Holiday visa!

She lives with us in the East Midlands, Mr Tebbit. 

Given the lack of rentable places and the unaffordable cost, she wishes to remain with us in the East Midlands. 

The boy’s living costs outstrip his income and so we continue to supplement him. The girl has no desire to live hand to mouth like that. 

It’s why we are voting the venal shits out of office on Thursday. 

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

She lives with us in the East Midlands, Mr Tebbit. 

Given the lack of rentable places and the unaffordable cost, she wishes to remain with us in the East Midlands. 

The boy’s living costs outstrip his income and so we continue to supplement him. The girl has no desire to live hand to mouth like that. 

It’s why we are voting the venal shits out of office on Thursday. 

I hope that helps but I doubt it in the short term.  Labour in here for a couple of years now and cost of living remains horrible.  Tax cut today though.

30 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Fvcking immigrants coming here.

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I mentioned the other day that people should go and watch Starmer's first conference speech during lockdown. Go and watch any other speech he's done. He has some pretty clear and consistent ambitions but can only react to the immediate skip fire he's about to inherit. 

Not true.

Not true.

Not true.

Not even untrue, these are just downright lies. 

That's your opinion and you're totally welcome to it. I profoundly disagree, and believe from what I have seen of Starmer's leadership and ambitions for power that we are going to see a transformative Labour government over the next 10 years.

I did, what with being a labour member at the time, problem is that was 4 years ago and he's spent 4 years making a convincing case for the existence of invertebrate mammals.

even ****ing Suella De Vil has had more to say on child poverty than labour: https://www.bigissue.com/news/social-justice/suella-braverman-two-child-benefit-cap-limit-labour/

labour have watered down their workers rights policies to nothing to appease bosses: https://news.sky.com/story/more-holes-than-swiss-cheese-unite-union-attacks-labours-rebrand-of-workers-rights-plan-13142963

if labour are gonna reverse the damage done to the NHS, do you wanna let Streeting, the shadow health secretary, know: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/12/wes-streeting-defends-labour-plan-private-sector-cut-nhs-backlog

in that case why did labour stand aside and let the tories push through extrajudicial crimes (spy-cops), why did the shadow immigration minister support storing migrants on floating prisons, why are they spending more energy attacking David Tennant for saying he wished politicians would shut up and leave his kid alone than they have fighting those attacks...

labour under starmer are a cameronite Tory party and 'moderate' toryism has never fixed anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

I did, what with being a labour member at the time, problem is that was 4 years ago and he's spent 4 years making a convincing case for the existence of invertebrate mammals.

even ****ing Suella De Vil has had more to say on child poverty than labour: https://www.bigissue.com/news/social-justice/suella-braverman-two-child-benefit-cap-limit-labour/

labour have watered down their workers rights policies to nothing to appease bosses: https://news.sky.com/story/more-holes-than-swiss-cheese-unite-union-attacks-labours-rebrand-of-workers-rights-plan-13142963

if labour are gonna reverse the damage done to the NHS, do you wanna let Streeting, the shadow health secretary, know: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/12/wes-streeting-defends-labour-plan-private-sector-cut-nhs-backlog

in that case why did labour stand aside and let the tories push through extrajudicial crimes (spy-cops), why did the shadow immigration minister support storing migrants on floating prisons, why are they spending more energy attacking David Tennant for saying he wished politicians would shut up and leave his kid alone than they have fighting those attacks...

labour under starmer are a cameronite Tory party and 'moderate' toryism has never fixed anything.

I can certainly see the case of the folks who will make a stand and insist on "this far, and no further" for their candidates. I just don't see how well it works in practice in terms of effecting change. Corbyn embodied that change, and look how that turned out in terms of having the power to enact it. (That the system and establishment have turned on him is irrelevant imo, the only thing that matters is that it didn't work - the system is broken but the only way you fix that is git gud enough to have the power to change the board.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MPH said:

You think we’ve got problems in the UK? France is about to vote in a far right party and my prediction is that things are about to get very nasty there and you think they had issues with the Muslim terrorist attacks before? It’s going to get a lot worse..

Seeing as the Euros are on now, imagine how a big chunk of the French team feel now that their citizenry might be about to elect a parliament that would never have let them be French in the first place.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I can certainly see the case of the folks who will make a stand and insist on "this far, and no further" for their candidates. I just don't see how well it works in practice in terms of effecting change. Corbyn embodied that change, and look how that turned out in terms of having the power to enact it. (That the system and establishment have turned on him is irrelevant imo, the only thing that matters is that it didn't work - the system is broken but the only way you fix that is git gud enough to have the power to change the board.)

I see your argument, but I would say that you have to draw that line at some point otherwise it becomes a straight up ratchet effect, nothing ever gets better and the centrist party just exists to normalise the changes before another round of right wing advances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I see your argument, but I would say that you have to draw that line at some point otherwise it becomes a straight up ratchet effect, nothing ever gets better and the centrist party just exists to normalise the changes before another round of right wing advances.

I don't disagree, but again I don't see a good way to fix it that actually works, either.

Guest Col city fan

Nothing to predict 

Labour will secure a huge majority, based not so much on people really believing in Starmer but because the Tories aren’t a viable alternative.

Akin to why the Tories won the last few elections I suspect.

23 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Nothing to predict 

Labour will secure a huge majority, based not so much on people really believing in Starmer but because the Tories aren’t a viable alternative.

Akin to why the Tories won the last few elections I suspect.

I don't think the Tories won the last couple of elections because people didn't really believe in Starmer, tbh.

The Electoral Calculus poll aggregator actually now has the Lib Dems as more likely to be the official opposition than the Tories.

Regardless of where you stand in the whole matter, a shift like this is seismic, almost unprecedented.

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Why are you taking Cruella's comments more seriously than Labour's? Why does Labour have a higher threshold of believability than someone who thinks homelessness is a lifestyle choice? Labour have so far ruled out the 2 child benefit cap, which I do believe is a mistake, but there are plenty of other methods to alleviate poverty that they have outlined in their manifesto. 

Sharon Graham has been a vocal critic of Starmer for years, which is her right. She was endorsing Labour as of a few weeks ago: 

Most 

Streeting has categorically, repeatedly ruled out more privatisation of the NHS. He has simply said he would utilise the private sector to bring down the record high waiting lists.

When did Labour "stand aside"? They've had no power in anything for 14 years. Especially after Corbyn left them with just 200 seats - it has been absolutely impossible for Starmer to actually stop the Tories doing anything. 

At this point I'll just have to take your word for it. I'll take my chances with Labour, vote for whoever you want.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
59 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I don't think the Tories won the last couple of elections because people didn't really believe in Starmer, tbh.

You know what I meant didn’t you

:giggle: