Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Happy Annihilation Of The Tories And Their Ideology Day to everyone who celebrates.

I just hope that folks aren't celebrating too early on that score, seeing as an... upgraded version of that ideology appears to be waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seen an interesting thread on twitter. What's your most iconic/rememberable photo/moment from the last 14 years of Tory Government? I'll start. 

image.jpg?id=28045211&width=1200&height=

Edited by EnderbyFox
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Seen an interesting thread on twitter. What's your most iconic/rememberable photo/moment from the last 14 years of Tory Government? I'll start. 

So many heartbreaking ones from that thread.

Mine, seared into my mind forever, is of sitting alone and apart from my family as my grandma was cremated, juxtaposed with the pictures of those utter fvcking cvnts partying their way through the most miserable time in all of our lives.

Fvck the lot of them.

39 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGespUtPC/

The video is too large to post here and I can't find it anywhere else but tiktok so had to post a link. 10 photos that sum up the tories 14 years in power.

10 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

So original, you must be a long blue/pink haired libtard.

liberals are right wing as far as I'm concerned, and last time I dyed my hair it was purple, but you got the length right at least so... 33%, failing grade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:

Not going to focus on that today. We know what a bunch of incompetent shitehawks they’ve been for 14 years.  

Today is a new dawn. I’m looking forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

This is far too much a good balanced/nuanced post.       What are you doing on this thread?     It's supposed to be full of ranting nonsense!

Thanks 😉

I do try - I guess in a world of sensationalist views being balanced appears refreshing rather than boring 😂

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Thanks 😉

I do try - I guess in a world of sensationalist views being balanced appears refreshing rather than boring 😂

The thing about politics threads, that makes then stand out from almost all other threads ... is that they're generally a complete waste of time!    By that I mean, opinions tend to be set in stone, and no one ever changes any opinions or gives any credit to any opposing opinion.   And it's also the quoting of opinions as though it's fact.   Does anyone actually understand the difference between fact and opinion?    

At least in football threads, you can have opinions which you might read and think "yeah, that's a fair point.  I'd not thought of that."   So it feels like there's some point to giving (or reading) an opinion different to your own.   

I used to browse the politics threads a bit, but gave up a couple of years ago.  It really did feel like wasted time, you'd never get back.   I thought I'd have a quick look a couple of days ago.   And yep, as you were, I won't bother for another couple of years!

Anyway, fwiw my opinion is that those who think the last 10-20 years have been terrible and that things are going to get better ... are going to be in for quite some shock over the next 20-30 years.

External pressures, be it from global warming, fanatics with nuclear weapons, revanchist/belligerent states, European polarised fascist/communist politics, USA/Europe NATO funding, and a whole host of other problems ... will dwarf any micro actions any Labour/Conservative/LibDem/Other government tries to follow.   History never repeats itself exactly, but the 2020's are looking too much like the 1930's for my liking.     Just my opinion and, of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

The thing about politics threads, that makes then stand out from almost all other threads ... is that they're generally a complete waste of time!    By that I mean, opinions tend to be set in stone, and no one ever changes any opinions or gives any credit to any opposing opinion.   And it's also the quoting of opinions as though it's fact.   Does anyone actually understand the difference between fact and opinion?    

At least in football threads, you can have opinions which you might read and think "yeah, that's a fair point.  I'd not thought of that."   So it feels like there's some point to giving (or reading) an opinion different to your own.   

I used to browse the politics threads a bit, but gave up a couple of years ago.  It really did feel like wasted time, you'd never get back.   I thought I'd have a quick look a couple of days ago.   And yep, as you were, I won't bother for another couple of years!

Anyway, fwiw my opinion is that those who think the last 10-20 years have been terrible and that things are going to get better ... are going to be in for quite some shock over the next 20-30 years.

External pressures, be it from global warming, fanatics with nuclear weapons, revanchist/belligerent states, European polarised fascist/communist politics, USA/Europe NATO funding, and a whole host of other problems ... will dwarf any micro actions any Labour/Conservative/LibDem/Other government tries to follow.   History never repeats itself exactly, but the 2020's are looking too much like the 1930's for my liking.     Just my opinion and, of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

You're spot on about the nature of the threats, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for some optimism.

Because of history, we know how this pathway plays out, so the way I see it is that we don't have to take it. And there's time to bring things back from the brink.

NB. Opinion being expressed as fact is a curse on Internet discussion and I wish folks would qualify their remarks more, too.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well @worth_the_wait - I do hold some hope in Starmer for a few reasons;

• He seems like the first adult Prime Minister we’ve had for a long time.

I’d say May was probably the last one previous to that but that she was hamstrung by her party and trying to balance conflicting wings of her party rather than being decisive.

• Starmer doesn’t appear to have that ‘conflict’ issue within his party - and a strong majority will help further with that.

Note: Owen Jones can’t stand the guy - which has to be a good sign! 

• If you look at various aspects of what Starmers done - it’s all meticulously planned out.

He’s set up his front bench, his campaign was clearly ready to go as soon as Rishi said ‘go’. 

Even the leaflets and various campaign material were planned and templated with colour coding for the different policy areas.

• He’s not tried to promise everything - which fits with the reality of the situation the country faces.

• Yet there are still interesting policy aspects being proposed.

Getting the railways back into public hands seems sensible and if the government is going to spend loads on ensuring energy security going forward (it feels like it has to either way), owning it under GB Energy seems sensible (private companies are always designed to take profit out so it’s no surprise that these privately owned monopolised industries have proved poor value for money).

• Farage will be in the background to keep him honest.

The only real downside I can find is he’s an avid Gooner.

But he’s clearly a decent, intelligent person that I can believe will ultimately have good intentions at heart in whatever decision he makes - so I far from dread what Starmer might have instore.

I’d also say this is where the Conservatives strategy of foretelling doom and gloom under Labour could backfire further still.

It’s clearly a message that’s cut through - but that just means all Labour need to do is ‘not be shit’ to look like a reasonably capable government in 5 years time.

Edit: obviously this assumes he gets in… but unless Nigel pulls a huge rabbit out of a hat, I don’t see how Labour doesn’t.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1

This time tomorrow then Sir Keir Starmer will likely be the new prime minster... if your labour, tory, lib dem etc... think everyone can agree on one thing... can't do any worse than Sunak. Tories have certainly made labour look good over the years. This labour party is far from perfect and for years I refused to vote whilst some MP's were part of the party namely Corbyn being one. I won't be suprised in five years there will once again be another party change, especially if Nigel chooses to go Tory and goes for the leadership.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Well @worth_the_wait - I do hold some hope in Starmer for a few reasons;

• He seems like the first adult Prime Minister we’ve had for a long time.

I’d say May was probably the last one previous to that but that she was hamstrung by her party and trying to balance conflicting wings of her party rather than being decisive.

• Starmer doesn’t appear to have that ‘conflict’ issue within his party - and a strong majority will help further with that.

Note: Owen Jones can’t stand the guy - which has to be a good sign! 

• If you look at various aspects of what Starmers done - it’s all meticulously planned out.

He’s set up his front bench, his campaign was clearly ready to go as soon as Rishi said ‘go’. 

Even the leaflets and various campaign material were planned and templated with colour coding for the different policy areas.

• He’s not tried to promise everything - which fits with the reality of the situation the country faces.

• Yet there are still interesting policy aspects being proposed.

Getting the railways back into public hands seems sensible and if the government is going to spend loads on ensuring energy security going forward (it feels like it has to either way), owning it under GB Energy seems sensible (private companies are always designed to take profit out so it’s no surprise that these privately owned monopolised industries have proved poor value for money).

• Farage will be in the background to keep him honest.

The only real downside I can find is he’s an avid Gooner.

But he’s clearly a decent, intelligent person that I can believe will ultimately have good intentions at heart in whatever decision he makes - so I far from dread what Starmer might have instore.

I’d also say this is where the Conservatives strategy of foretelling doom and gloom under Labour could backfire further still.

It’s clearly a message that’s cut through - but that just means all Labour need to do is ‘not be shit’ to look like a reasonably capable government in 5 years time.

Edit: obviously this assumes he gets in… but unless Nigel pulls a huge rabbit out of a hat, I don’t see how Labour doesn’t.

To an extent I agree, but realistically there's little in the coffers to change anything much unless there are going to borrow more. However, just a slight change of attitude and culture will be a relief.

5 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

To an extent I agree, but realistically there's little in the coffers to change anything much unless there are going to borrow more. However, just a slight change of attitude and culture will be a relief.

I get the sense Starmer knows this - which is why stuff like Planning Reform will be a focus early on, something that could have a big long run impact but realistically doesn’t cost much to implement. 

32 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

It’s been Newcastle the past 2 elections, Sunderland won everyone between 1992 and 2015

That’s was when Di Canio did the knee slide wasn’t it?