Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Lots of people think immigration is the biggest threat to their existence here when the real challenges are people moving up from London and driving the house prices up. Its genuinely mind boggling what people will believe.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Leicester East went to the Tories by default.

Both major parties took an absolute kicking, speaks volumes about peoples opinion of main stream politics.

Yep, the wonders of "alternative" information sources.

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know next to nothing about this but I'm guessing it's something to do with Hindu nationalists, who see their interests overlapping with a Conservative agenda. I don't think this is as big a surprise as it looks, Tory support in the city has been growing for a while, and add in lack of enthusiasm for Labour over Gaza and here we are

I think this might be close to the mark. Hindutva BJP types likely have a social stance closest to Tories and they will of course oppose Muslims politically however they can.

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Labour candidate in Harborough Oadby and Wigston loses out to Tories by around 2000 votes. 6000 + people voted for Reform. What are they doing

Neil O'Brien is a good MP in fairness. He has been covering for Claudia Webbe in Leicester East and helping the people there whilst she was indisposed, which appeared to be for the majority of her time in post.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Scandinavia or Canada?

Can't think of many other places seeing as there appear to be quite a few nutjobs with homophobia as part of their policies springing up everywhere.

thats the option in the west, Aotearoa New Zealand was under consideration but I'm a bit cooler on it since National won. honestly might look outside the west, as places like Thailand are making strides in the right direction 

Just now, The Doctor said:

thats the option in the west, Aotearoa New Zealand was under consideration but I'm a bit cooler on it since National won. honestly might look outside the west, as places like Thailand are making strides in the right direction 

I'll be honest mate, I wouldn't trust most of Asia to be LGBT friendly for the moment, given what I've seen. Perhaps I'm wrong on that score, though.

NZ would be another fair option.

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Leicester East I can understand having a big Muslim vote - and extraordinarily given to the Tories...but Leicester South?!

Where tf has that come from?  Stoneygate? Aylestone? The Saff? 

I’m in Leicester south, huge amount of Muslims here. Go down Welford Road on a Friday when everyone is out for prayers. You can hear the call for prayer in Knighton some Fridays.

There were Muslims outside of all the polling stations near me trying to get people to vote for Adam as they went in, he ran a pretty intense campaign. Shame for the people of Leicester South as he doesn’t seem interested in Leicester South. Along with the Green candidate here the campaign was all about Gaza, which I’m not sure a UK MP will be about to help with or affect. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know next to nothing about this but I'm guessing it's something to do with Hindu nationalists, who see their interests overlapping with a Conservative agenda. I don't think this is as big a surprise as it looks, Tory support in the city has been growing for a while, and add in lack of enthusiasm for Labour over Gaza and here we are

Yup Braverman in particularly had promoted  Hindutva policy, which is basically an anti-Islam approach imported from India. Leicester east has the biggest Hindu % of any constituency. Then you have the Muslim population who would not vote for Labour. It makes a lot of sense why this has happened. 

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It will be a continuing trend for the next ten to fifteen years. 

Bit like how Tories have been trashed in the South as graduates move away from cities due to housing prices. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, danny. said:

I’m in Leicester south, huge amount of Muslims here. Go down Welford Road on a Friday when everyone is out for prayers. You can hear the call for prayer in Knighton some Fridays.

There were Muslims outside of all the polling stations near me trying to get people to vote for Adam as they went in, he ran a pretty intense campaign. Shame for the people of Leicester South as he doesn’t seem interested in Leicester South. Along with the Green candidate here the campaign was all about Gaza, which I’m not sure a UK MP will be about to help with or affect. 

“Dear local MP, I’m really worried about the homelessness, poverty and suffering in my area, can you help?” 

“Sorry no but now you know how the people of Gaza feel”. 

8 minutes ago, kenny said:

Neil O'Brien is a good MP in fairness. He has been covering for Claudia Webbe in Leicester East and helping the people there whilst she was indisposed, which appeared to be for the majority of her time in post.

I don't know much about him. He was due to lose pretty heavily so he's turned it around somehow 

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Maitlis constantly going for Dorries is content I'm here for. 

I'm really hoping one of these people with too much time on their hands makes a compilation. 

Maitlis getting more attractive the longer she's awake lol

31 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

pretty much irrelevant whether I respect the spineless prat tbh. he's gonna be in government for however long before the press, having gotten tired of kicking the SNP and Tories to death, find a new target, like say a relatively unpopular incoming prime minister who despite winning a landslide with his party, saw his majority in his constituency cut in half. I would feel pretty safe betting he is not still leader come 2029. in the meantime, he'll do what he wants and I'll continue to put together contingency plans to flee the UK because it's becoming an increasingly unsafe place to be visibly queer in and he's not indicating a desire to reverse that.

Well, at least you have him a chance.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Every time I tune in to C4, everyone in the studio is awestruck by another bonkers statement by Dorries. She never fails to deliver.

Seriously bonkers but added absolutely nothing - It was like having an errant child in a room of grown ups 

Hope that's the last we see of her 

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I lived the the Land of the Long White Cloud. Beautiful place, although like here, the rivers are ****ed. There are still large pockets of prejudice and bigotry, particularly in more remote parts of the South Island. Auckland is the most liberal city - but expensive now.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Lots of people think immigration is the biggest threat to their existence here when the real challenges are people moving up from London and driving the house prices up. Its genuinely mind boggling what people will believe.

Bang on. How many local kids can afford to live in that constituency these days?

Edited by Voll Blau

16 minutes ago, The Quick Brown Fox said:

I'm still getting ads to vote 😂

No surprise to wake up to a labour landslide. Let's see how long it takes for the country to turn on them. It is a cycle after all. 

Neil Ferrari on LBC has turned already. Banging on about reform and Calais migrants celebrating in their tens of thousands at the labour victory.