Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

6 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I don't know much about him. He was due to lose pretty heavily so he's turned it around somehow 

He was an adviser to Theresa May. Parachuted into a safe seat. No connection to the area from what I gather. He was highly thought of in the Tory party when he first came in a couple of elections ago and has served as a junior minister but appears to be out of favour a little. People talk about him as a good constituency MP but he’s backed everything bad the tories have done the last few months.

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I don’t think FPTP survives another 10-20 years 

There isn't enough interest in politics outside of the general election cycles to change it. The vast vast majority of those wailing about it today will have forgotten about it by Monday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I don’t think FPTP survives another 10-20 years 

As long as it suits the two main parties it stays. It's not going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

He was an adviser to Theresa May. Parachuted into a safe seat. No connection to the area from what I gather. He was highly thought of in the Tory party when he first came in a couple of elections ago and has served as a junior minister but appears to be out of favour a little. People talk about him as a good constituency MP but he’s backed everything bad the tories have done the last few months.

None of that should ingratiate him to the electorate  - I think there was a last minute swing back to the Tories here as Labour are still not trusted 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
21 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I don't know much about him. He was due to lose pretty heavily so he's turned it around somehow 

It was a 50/50 call has decent local support. He's absolutely useless on real issues in the area.

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'll be honest mate, I wouldn't trust most of Asia to be LGBT friendly for the moment, given what I've seen. Perhaps I'm wrong on that score, though.

NZ would be another fair option.

yea. it's making strides in the right direction from people I know who live there, but realistically it's Canada or Aotearoa for me

• Like 1

Labour gained 1.6% more of the voting share (But critically gained them 209 seats)

Tories obviously screwed it losing 23.7%

Lib Dems only gained 0.6%

Reform gaining 12.3%, Green gaining 4.1% and SNP losing 1.3%

Strange times.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

It’s a bit of mindblower some of those results. 

This morning though people will have hope. If you were a disabled persons who had their benefit turned down and told they must work in pain, think of how they feel this morning 

Possibly still in pain :ph34r:

• Haha 4

Can’t really moan much at the Tory football chants can we lol stick out like a sore thumb as you scroll down the constituency list. 

I only really come back for the football these days. But it’s hard to understand how it’s a city that’s still so blinded to vote Tory when you look at the state of some of it.

Even the parties that have had an impact elsewhere haven’t got anywhere near in Leicestershire. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adam said:

Lovely to wake up to a Labour NW Leics!

Leicester, what a let down but no surprises. Shame for Jon Ashworth. People voting for an independent because of Gaza. Not sure what that will actually achieve.

Lemmings.

Not surprised considering the demographic of people around that area and the amount of Palestine flags.

Just now, AjcW said:

Can’t really moan much at the Tory football chants can we lol stick out like a sore thumb as you scroll down the constituency list. 

I only really come back for the football these days. But it’s hard to understand how it’s a city that’s still so blinded to vote Tory when you look at the state of some of it.

Even the parties that have had an impact elsewhere haven’t got anywhere near in Leicestershire. 

I think the problem with it is a lot of the locals in Leicester East and South are more concerned about Gaza than worrying about the state of the local area. Pretty depressing stuff.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

I’ve never seen so much single issue voting in one election. Whether it over Gaza or Small Boats, it’s had a big impact.

Mad how little the real issues are being discussed.

1 minute ago, adam said:

I think the problem with it is a lot of the locals in Leicester East and South are more concerned about Gaza than worrying about the state of the local area. Pretty depressing stuff.

Brainwashed.

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

I’ve never seen so much single issue voting in one election. Whether it over Gaza or Small Boats, it’s had a big impact.

Its a straight vote against the Government (deservedly so) I mean just look at the swings in the voting share

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Mad how little the real issues are being discussed.

Said this earlier, these days it's really easy for a single issue to get magnified into a massive cause celebre.

Shame that isn't happening with the really biggest issues, right.

Well...   we have a new Government.   Turns out, my vote may actually have counted, lol.   In my area, there were inly 1000 votes in it!

Also, the most Conservative place in the country is no longer.  THAT is how bad this lot have stuffed up our country.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Yup Braverman in particularly had promoted  Hindutva policy, which is basically an anti-Islam approach imported from India. Leicester east has the biggest Hindu % of any constituency. Then you have the Muslim population who would not vote for Labour. It makes a lot of sense why this has happened. 

I can see this actually. There was a drive the last election for the Hindutva vote to be with the Tories but what the **** do they align with in terms of policy ? Being ****ing useless!! Crazy election