Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

All I can say about Leicester's city seats in the wake of it all is - thank god for Liz Kendall.

The decisions in East and South just mean that with the country now getting a labour government, the city decided now was the time to throw out MPs who could have worked with them to make it a better place. That all falls on Liz now. It could be a good thing to not have to bother with the other two when sourcing investment and funding, but there are now cities up and down the country with a far stronger voice to get the attention of the Starmer administration in parliament.

Yes, I know Soulsby is still in charge (for now), but his day-to-day interaction with the Westminster party is going to be far more limited than MPs will be. And he's blown the city's finances so badly that any requests for funding to improve things are going to be secondary to merely keeping basic services afloat. They've already jettisoned Special Needs transport for 16-18 year olds to the County, for example - vital services are down to the bare bones of what are legally required.

Honestly, I despair for the city. It's felt like a lost cause for a few years now, and last night really confirms that it's disappeared entirely up its own arse. The decay, the homeless epidemic, the antisocial behaviour, the racial tensions, the looming bankruptcy of the council, all of these are things which are now going to either take far longer to fix, if they even get addressed at all, ahead of other cities around the country (and even within our region - both Nottingham and Derby are fully Labour).

I guess the only positive outcome would be that the new government works extra hard to win those voters back by trying to help it improve but I think it's more likely they just abandon it as a lost cause and focus on other cities that didn't jump ship because of either insane individual candidates or international issues our country and city has zero sway on.

After 14 years of Tory rot, I frankly think the government will have far more important things on its mind than what people in Leicester think about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Well he won’t have time for that now, as he looks to serve the people of Saffron Lane and Eyres Monsell. 

He’s rather short sighted if he thinks he going to have any joy with the monsellites😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

All I can say about Leicester's city seats in the wake of it all is - thank god for Liz Kendall.

The decisions in East and South just mean that with the country now getting a labour government, the city decided now was the time to throw out MPs who could have worked with them to make it a better place. That all falls on Liz now. It could be a good thing to not have to bother with the other two when sourcing investment and funding, but there are now cities up and down the country with a far stronger voice to get the attention of the Starmer administration in parliament.

Yes, I know Soulsby is still in charge (for now), but his day-to-day interaction with the Westminster party is going to be far more limited than MPs will be. And he's blown the city's finances so badly that any requests for funding to improve things are going to be secondary to merely keeping basic services afloat. They've already jettisoned Special Needs transport for 16-18 year olds to the County, for example - vital services are down to the bare bones of what are legally required.

Honestly, I despair for the city. It's felt like a lost cause for a few years now, and last night really confirms that it's disappeared entirely up its own arse. The decay, the homeless epidemic, the antisocial behaviour, the racial tensions, the looming bankruptcy of the council, all of these are things which are now going to either take far longer to fix, if they even get addressed at all, ahead of other cities around the country (and even within our region - both Nottingham and Derby are fully Labour).

I guess the only positive outcome would be that the new government works extra hard to win those voters back by trying to help it improve but I think it's more likely they just abandon it as a lost cause and focus on other cities that didn't jump ship because of either insane individual candidates or international issues our country and city has zero sway on.

After 14 years of Tory rot, I frankly think the government will have far more important things on its mind than what people in Leicester think about it.

I imagine they won't try too hard because ultimately the situation in the Middle East will determine whether those seats come back, which is absolutely incredibly stupid but it is what it is. It's not a problem the UK Government is in any position to solve or even particularly influence any more - but apparently it's the most important issue affecting Leicester South :S

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The biggest disappointment for me regarding Starmer was that he didn’t acknowledge the local authority funding crisis, across the country. I personally don’t view the finances as Soulsby’s fault. But that’s a debate for another day.

However, the city’s leaders, whether that be MP’s, councillors and unelected officials, always paint this city as a great place to live because of its diversity. In truth it should be because it makes the city far more interesting and I am a believer in multiculturalism enriching lives. Nonetheless, this city is so incredibly poor at the moment, we are also seeing unofficial lines where only certain communities will live and the huge riots/fighting issues that happened in the Autumn of 2022 have not been addressed. Last night was an opportunity to show the incoming government that we’re ready to improve, instead we have about 10 dividing candidates in Leicester East and a protest vote about a matter that is not only irrelevant to many within its constituency but I bet they haven’t even heard of. 

-The point is, I believe this city is fractured!

Edited by westernpark
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yes, I'd left Welford Road out as that's clearly Mosque heavy now.  But just felt that was one ward.

Stoneygate has Asians, but not necessarily muslim.

The rest of south Leicester is white af

No it isn't? Do you live in the South Leicester constituency? 

17 minutes ago, Raj said:

About Me – Shockat Adam

"serves the community Through my award-winning optical practice":rolleyes:

Why does he use the surname Adam when it's Patel? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Sunak looks pathetic. 

Am surprised in how many blunders he had made in the weeks to the lead-up to the election.

Quite possibly he scuppered under the pressure.

He didn't seem a leader for the 'ordinary' people at all really.

Edited by Wymsey

9 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Fair play - the opportunity for a little in forum joke was too good to pass 😉

I’m here for it mate! lol 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, westernpark said:

The biggest disappointment for me regarding Starmer was that he didn’t acknowledge the local authority funding crisis, across the country. I personally don’t view the finances as Soulsby’s fault. But that’s a debate for another day.

However, the city’s leaders, whether that be MP’s, councillors and unelected officials, always paint this city as a great place to live because of its diversity. In truth it should be because it makes the city far more interesting and I am a believer in multiculturalism enriching lives. Nonetheless, this city is so incredibly poor at the moment, we are also seeing unofficial lines where only certain communities will live and the huge riots/fighting issues that happened in the Autumn of 2022 have not been addressed. Last night was an opportunity to show the incoming government that we’re ready to improve, instead we have about 10 dividing candidates in Leicester East and a protest vote about a matter that is not only irrelevant to many within its constituency but I bet they haven’t even heard of. 

-The point is, I believe this city is fractured!

It's absolutely fallen to pieces in the past few years. I used to be very proud of this city and would always say that it's an example of "multiculturalism done right", but nowadays it's fast becoming another Bradford / Luton-type basket case beset by community tensions. There are even blatant cultural divides between established migrant communities from the 60's to 2000s, and more recent arrivals, most tellingly in Belgrave and its surroundings where first-generation arrivals are increasingly arriving with minds poisoned by nationalist Hindutva rhetoric - which is always going to turn any shared space with Muslims into a tinderbox. Maybe it was always there under the surface, but I don't remember any notable issues between folks of different religions there until the past 5-10 years?

It's easy to say as a football fan, but the last time I genuinely felt the city was united was 2016, when we won the league. Everybody was in good spirits and we were proud to be from this city regardless of our background. Everything since has descended into something unrecognisable and very, very ugly.

Edited by OntarioFox

Posted (edited)

So when we play Liverpool at home and our room temperature IQ fans start singing "feed the Scousers" again.

What do they sing back? "Fvck the independents"? :ph34r:

Edited by RoboFox

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

So when we play Liverpool at home and our room temperature IQ fans start singing "feed the Scousers" again.

What do they sing back? "Fvck the independents"? 

In fairness, the city of Leicester has a Conservative MP now for the first time in a long. However, that's because Webbe and Vaz are next level morons lol

36 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Total UK electorate = 48.2M

Turnout was 60% which means 40% did not bother to vote, that's an awful lot of people.

That is terrible turnout, sadly i think most is the younger generation. Most dont like talking about politics, im 30 now and cant say people younger than me dont have much interest on politics. To them its rich snobs in suits.

• Sad 2