Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

I’m very pleasantly surprised that a politics thread on FT has made it to 169 pages without being locked. 

There’s been disagreements but largely respectfully handled. I’m sure there’s a few flare ups (@Daggers :ph34r:) that I’ve missed, but it’s been very refreshing to read and occasionally contribute to. I hope these sorts of discussions are able to continue and will stay mostly civilised. 

Well played FT :appl:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

They will never, ever understand or acknowledge this, nor will they ever take responsibility for their failures.

Worse, given the chance, they’ll do the exact same thing in a few decades time.

Absolutely thick as pigshit.

come off it, last nights results are a complete repudiation of that. labours vote share basically remained unmoved from 2019, the difference between a historic defeat and a landslide was nothing to do with any changes Starmer made and everything to do with reform splitting the Tory vote and Tories generally staying home. as to why, that was because the press no longer felt the need to prop up the Tories and so they collapsed under a mountain of scandals. now, I don't think even his wildest critics could claim that Corbyn is responsible for media regulation in this country 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

sure, let's look at some of Ecos 14 characteristics of fascism.

Cult of tradition, rejection of modernism, call for action for actions sake, fear of difference and contempt for the weak.

and for good measure, some of Britts 14 defining characteristics 

Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism

Disdain for the importance of human rights

Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause

Obsession with crime and punishment

Rampant cronyism and corruption

I think anyone can see how easily these all apply to reform?

Get away with you with your facts and informed arguments. We’ll have none of that here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

sure, let's look at some of Ecos 14 characteristics of fascism.

Cult of tradition, rejection of modernism, call for action for actions sake, fear of difference and contempt for the weak.

and for good measure, some of Britts 14 defining characteristics 

Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism

Disdain for the importance of human rights

Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause

Obsession with crime and punishment

Rampant cronyism and corruption

I think anyone can see how easily these all apply to reform?

The thing about Eco's 14 features of fascism is that some of them can, admittedly with some effort, be applied to almost any political party or movement. Such as:
Appeal to social frustration. “one of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups"

- The cult of action for action’s sale. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

The thing about Eco's 14 features of fascism is that some of them can, admittedly with some effort, be applied to almost any political party or movement. Such as:
Appeal to social frustration. “one of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups"

- The cult of action for action’s sale. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”

yep, that's why I don't rely solely on them, because they can become a bit abstract.

• Like 1

If we weren't living in the Times that we are I would feel really encouraged by this labour government. 

A real working class streak running through it and imo a team that seems dead set on delivering better for a country that has been utterly shit on for too long. 

As it is we live in the age of culture war and outright lies in politics. 

A game being changed by loud mouth, ignorant, self serving scum like Farage. 

I fear but hope desperately that a government for the people isn't wasted because the general public are more interested in charisma and accents than work ethic and delivery. 

Good luck 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Raj said:

image.png.40ebff38baa2040c5bbe619c55b91f1e.png

I would have voted for her if i was Leicester east- don't know why!:kissing:

She could easily sell me an industrial washing machine. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

She could easily sell me an industrial washing machine. :ph34r:

Parafox's wife: this washing machine is enormous, I would almost say it's too big for domestic use. How on earth did you end up buying this one? 

Parafox: I can explain

Parafox's wife: Can you really? 

Parafox: No

• Haha 4

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Parafox's wife: this washing machine is enormous, I would almost say it's too big for domestic use. How on earth did you end up buying this one? 

Parafox: I can explain

Parafox's wife: Can you really? 

Parafox: No

Parafox: It definitely didn't involve cocaine and rent boys, though.

51 minutes ago, reporterpenguin said:

I’m very pleasantly surprised that a politics thread on FT has made it to 169 pages without being locked. 

There’s been disagreements but largely respectfully handled. I’m sure there’s a few flare ups (@Daggers :ph34r:) that I’ve missed, but it’s been very refreshing to read and occasionally contribute to. I hope these sorts of discussions are able to continue and will stay mostly civilised. 

:blink:

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

If Choudhury loved the city so much, he’d live here rather than in Nottingham.

I mean it doesn't, you wouldn't apply that to anyone normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reporterpenguin said:

Jeez. Toadying to @Mark to avoid a ban in the future lol :P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Sorry, been working since your post.

If the Fashbasts are not, in your opinion fash, I'd take a different view, considering that the party:

- concentrates on immigration as it's number one issue

- is led by the guy who stood in front of the '"look at all the brown skinned people queueing to get in" poster, who was described in his younger days as singing nazi songs and holding nazi views

- has had to, within the last few weeks, kick out several members because their abhorrent views coming to the surface.  

- has a leadership which is pals with the very right wing leader in the USA who denies the truth and wants to overthrow elections

- unlike any mainstream party is funded in opaque ways, as a private company.

- has leaders who have previously benefitted from Russian online intervention (Cambridge Analytica, anyone?) and has expressed support for the Big Bad Nationalist in Russia who invaded its neighbour.

- seems to concentrate on the most deprived areas of the UK, by telling people that foreigners cause all their problems.

I mean, I'm not Hannah Arendt, but they are, at the very least, Fash-adjacent. :ph34r:

Oh, and look, I made my answer about the thing we were actually talking about, rather than belittle the other guy's opinion, which you could always try.

By all means, try and convince me that my view is incorrectly held, though.

https://hopenothate.org.uk/2024/06/26/far-right-rally-behind-farage-and-reform/

• Like 1