Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

18 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Angela Rayner is literally deputy PM. 

but to be fair I do slightly agree but not compared to the last government 

It’s the same as people making strident comments about a manifesto they clearly hadn’t read, anyone saying it’s a cabinet of middle class MPs is just advertising they’ve done zero research. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I would love for that to be true but like, reform and Tories combined votes would have seen a pretty comfortable win. reform will cannibalise the tories, particularly if they go for Badenoch as leader, and Tory politics will come back with a different branding at most. We're seeing what happens when a weak centre right leader comes up against a fascist in France and the route is set clear for Starmers labour to be macron-ed if he doesn't take heed.

Hopefully safe for next 5 years 

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Wonder if a study has been done to see what Labour's majority would've been had reform not existed and their votes split,. say, 75 to Tories and 25 to labour. 

I read earlier it was only 20 odd extra seats for the Tories 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It’s the same as people making strident comments about a manifesto they clearly hadn’t read, anyone saying it’s a cabinet of middle class MPs is just advertising they’ve done zero research. 

Some fair points.

I went to the costings, not the manifesto and they are mostly a fabrication. I have listened to Rachel reeves interviews over the past 12 months and am disappointed that the figures don't add up. I thought that labour under starmer would be  unremarkable but competent. Unfortunately, their manifesto is uncoated or poorly costed.

I've looked at the the labour back bench and maybe my Leicester insecurities are at play. But they mostly have the sorts of backgrounds that I was jealous of when I went to university.

I was unaware of the sorts of people that had 2 parents that went to university and considered themselves working class as being normal.

My background is most akin to Angela Raynor's or David lammys though my parents were older before becoming single parents. 

Please keep up the condescending attitude you excel at it. I am always keen on encouraging people to do what they are good at 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Angela Rayner is literally deputy PM. 

but to be fair I do slightly agree but not compared to the last government 

She is an odd one. On the one hand she is all that my parents taught me not to be growing up in social housing in Leicester.

On the other hand, she bought 2 houses which is beyond my upbringing aspirations whilst growing up.

I'm lucky that I have done well for myself and can start to provide for the rest of my extended family. But listening to her, I dont feel that she is a brilliant example for people to follow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, kenny said:

She is an odd one. On the one hand she is all that my parents taught me not to be growing up in social housing in Leicester.

On the other hand, she bought 2 houses which is beyond my upbringing aspirations whilst growing up.

I'm lucky that I have done well for myself and can start to provide for the rest of my extended family. But listening to her, I dont feel that she is a brilliant example for people to follow.

Obvious troll is obvious. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Obvious troll is obvious. 

No trolling just my opinion.

My upbringing was more stable than hers, despite coming from a single parent family and growing up in a council flat. I would have loved my parents to own their homes but they aren't of that mindset, let alone 2 of them

I am the first to own a property or go to university and hope to be able to secure their futures. 

Posted (edited)

What this election has shown us is how flawed the first past the post system is. Whilst the tories had every right to be chucked out on account of their incompetence, corruption, and duplicity - the fact that we now have a Labour landslide (equally incompetent and dishonest) with just 35% of the public vote May i add. Nearly 70% of the country did not vote for this government. With the next 5 years of globalism and neoliberal politics, keep an eye on the smaller parties - something is changing out there and Rome wasn’t built in a day. Now Starmer can’t play the Mr hindsight card every week, and finally realises he actually has to make decisions himself for a change, he may get a swift wake up call when he realises he can’t deliver his false promises 😬 

Edited by Kisnorbo fox
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Kisnorbo fox said:

What this election has shown us is how flawed the first past the post system is. Whilst the tories had every right to be chucked out on account of their incompetence, corruption, and duplicity - the fact that we now have a Labour landslide (equally incompetent and dishonest) with just 35% of the public vote May i add. Nearly 70% of the country did not vote for this government. With the next 5 years of globalism and neoliberal politics, keep an eye on the smaller parties - something is changing out there and Rome wasn’t built in a day. Now Starmer can’t play the Mr hindsight card every week, and finally realises he actually has to make decisions himself for a change, he may get a swift wake up call when he realises he can’t deliver his false promises 😬 

Mr Hindsight, christ, you sound like Boris

15 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Oh dear, I see Reeves, the new Chancellor, is already saying "there's not a huge amount of money there" and that's in her first day in Office!!

I’m not sure how long Reeves will last. Her ‘faction’ is seen as the pro-austerity one. 

7 hours ago, kenny said:

Sorry but what were your parents teaching you, and do you think they may have been wrong? 

There's a problem in this country where some don't like those from poorer backgrounds doing well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Sorry but what were your parents teaching you, and do you think they may have been wrong? 

There's a problem in this country where some don't like those from poorer backgrounds doing well. 

Not sure really.

I think it's brilliant when people do better for themselves. It shows that this country has opportunities for anyone regardless of background.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Good post. We all know the country’s bankrupt and services are decimated. You’d hope people would be smart enough to realise it’s not gonna be turned around tomorrow.

And this whole narrative that ‘labour didn’t win the election, the tories lost it’ is so cringey and spurs-esque. People really have no shame. 

This is it for me. Every challenging party "wins" an election. If it were that easy to just "lose" one then the shower that the Tories were in 2017 and 2019 would have done just that. They didn't, because the opposition failed twice to beat them.

Labour won this one because they gamed our system spectacularly well. As, to a degree, did the LDs and Greens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I read earlier it was only 20 odd extra seats for the Tories 

Poll done yesterday that said 36% of reform voters would have voted Tory if reform didn’t exist 

25% undecided

so not likely to be more than 50% in any case 

would still have been a three figure majority 

9 hours ago, kenny said:

Some fair points.

I went to the costings, not the manifesto and they are mostly a fabrication. I have listened to Rachel reeves interviews over the past 12 months and am disappointed that the figures don't add up. I thought that labour under starmer would be  unremarkable but competent. Unfortunately, their manifesto is uncoated or poorly costed.

I've looked at the the labour back bench and maybe my Leicester insecurities are at play. But they mostly have the sorts of backgrounds that I was jealous of when I went to university.

I was unaware of the sorts of people that had 2 parents that went to university and considered themselves working class as being normal.

My background is most akin to Angela Raynor's or David lammys though my parents were older before becoming single parents. 

Please keep up the condescending attitude you excel at it. I am always keen on encouraging people to do what they are good at 

Just out of interest, if you were basing it on costings, who's manifesto did you think was properly costed then!??! 

Just now, Greg2607 said:

Just out of interest, if you were basing it on costings, who's manifesto did you think was properly costed then!??! 

I didn't check the others.

Only one was going to be in charge!!!