Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

What an excellent, honest, open, transparent, press conference this is.

I'm rapidly turning into a Starmer fanboy I'll be honest.

Finally, a no BS PM I think I can trust.

Less worried about Starmer and more curious about the rest of the cabinet.

Seems a lack of intellectual weight (not that intellectualism is always a good thing, but it doesn't hurt to have some big brains in there challenging a view) 

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Exactly, so the team that have won a landslide have acknowledged, understood and decisively won the system that we’re playing under. That doesn’t render their victory moot. 

John Curtice is amazing btw 

it doesn't render their victory moot, facts are they've got 5 years. however, as a party with a 172 seat majority, and a party who could lose 80 seats and still pass the 326 seat mark, we should be looking at a comfortable two elections (10 years) minimum for this labour to be in government. we're not, they're at risk in 2029, because they've made no gains in support over the last 5 years and the difference between worst defeat in 80 years and a landslide is down to Tory and SNP implosion. labour need to recognize that and use the next 5 years to shore up support, because all it takes is the SNP and the Tories to shake off the stench of corruption (admittedly probably easier for the SNP as it's more attached to the fall of Sturgeon and Yousafs collapse, Swinney can draw a line under it more easily than the tories given the next leader will likely be one of sunaks cabinet) and labour are back in catastrophic defeat territory 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I hope it lasts, genuinely.

I’m kinda hoping it doesn’t - in the sense that I hope we see the return of long-term appointments who actually achieve things in office rather than frequent rotations who do nothing but disrupt and move on. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Seems a lack of intellectual weight (not that intellectualism is always a good thing, but it doesn't hurt to have some big brains in there challenging a view) 

I guess we'll see. That presser just hammered home how much work there is to do and clearly he can't do it all himself.

I like his collaborative approach though and his trust in the relevant experts to have the right answers. The challenge I see is how the hell to prioritize everything and then pay for it.

Early days but I'm very impressed with his start.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Really ?

Its a cabinet made up of Lammy, Mahmood - both previously successful lawyers.

Vallance - a highly skilled Dr.

Yvette Cooper is an Oxford, Harvard AND LSE grad.

Rachel Reeves another PPE Oxford grad.

Darren Jones has a degree in flipping bioscience.

And Starmer himself another highly successful lawyer. 

There’s intellect there in abundance

(and that’s assuming we are basing intellect on academic achievement, people like Steering, Rayner add value and intellect for other reasons - something significantly missing by the previous regime).

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Really ?

Its a cabinet made up of Lammy, Mahmood - both previously successful lawyers.

Vallance - a highly skilled Dr.

Yvette Cooper is an Oxford, Harvard AND LSE grad.

Rachel Reeves another PPE Oxford grad.

Darren Jones has a degree in flipping bioscience.

And Starmer himself another highly successful lawyer. 

There’s intellect there in abundance

(and that’s assuming we are basing intellect on academic achievement, people like Steering, Rayner add value and intellect for other reasons - something significantly missing by the previous regime).

Yeah it genuinely feels a much more intelligent cabinet,  with actual life experience.  Not simply appointed because of what school they went to.

Also experts appointed into briefs they have experience of (e.g. CSO as Science Minister rather than the previous incumbent who used to work for Marie Claire!).

Positive stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nnfox said:

It's called progress... When the Tories took power last time, didn't Labour leave a note saying "There's no money"?

"Not a huge amount" is better than nothing, so at least she has something to work with!

And that's my point. At least Labour have been left some rather than the cupboard is bare.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

You’re delusional if you think that they’ve left things in better shape than Blair/Brown 

It's very different to 2010. Work wise we are all busy rather making people redundant or working part-time. People are getting pay rises not pay cuts.

The tax take is the highest it's ever been so I think Starmer and Reeves have some room to do things, just not as much as they would like.

I think this is the last hurrah for the current managerial elite to try and fix some problems in this country or else they will be swept away with more radical politics by the end of the decade. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon period with be. 

59 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

You’re delusional if you think that they’ve left things in better shape than Blair/Brown 

I think you been completely delusional to the point of needing medical or psychological help which ironically neither of which is easy to come by anymore.

15 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

I think this is the last hurrah for the current managerial elite to try and fix some problems in this country or else they will be swept away with more radical politics by the end of the decade. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon period with be. 

This is entirely possible.

And, let's be absolutely certain on this, more radical politics will lead nowhere good and will go there fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Delusional? I was merely quoting what Reeves has said and comparing it to the note Byrne left in 2010.

Sounds as though you're too young to remember.

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why are people still banging on about the note? It's been well documented that every outgoing government has left a note very similar, yet there is some kind of fixation on just one of them, it's bizarre.

I think that's reasonably obvious tbh - they need a reason to disparage current and past Labour governments and considering the faults of the last 14 years, stuff like that is pretty much all they have to go on.

As a bonus, throw in the "they're all the same" false analogy moniker as similar.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why are people still banging on about the note? It's been well documented that every outgoing government has left a note very similar, yet there is some kind of fixation on just one of them, it's bizarre.

The fact is that if politicians kept their gobs shut and just got on with job there would be nothing to "bang" on about,

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Delusional? I was merely quoting what Reeves has said and comparing it to the note Byrne left in 2010.

Sounds as though you're too young to remember.

You sound old enough to know better than to recycle myths but here we are.

Edit - I’m old enough to remember seeing Len Glover play for us 

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

You see all the employees in Timpsons? They’re ex-cons being given a chance to make something good with their lives. I know it was a joke, but this is an outstandingly sensible appointment - the best to the post in an absolute age. 

So...

You're saying I left my front door key with an ex-con?

• Haha 1