Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Did we beat Germany 5-1 away during the Blair years ? 

True, a rare highlight. Never got further than a 1/4 final. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think you been completely delusional to the point of needing medical or psychological help which ironically neither of which is easy to come by anymore.

eh, as the forums foremost Blair hater (man needs to be silent unless it's in the Hague begging for mercy), the current state of the country and economy is not significantly better than it was in 2010 and that's without the mitigating circumstances of a global financial crash caused by American bankers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In the spirit of positivity that only someone that occasionally talks about themselves in the third person like Bellend Sebastian can bring to the table, when you don't get the outcome you want, do you want them to do well?

I've been disappointed by outcomes many times, but I also like being proved wrong, mainly because if I predict correctly that things will be bad they'll probably be bad for everyone. I thought leaving the EU was a terrible idea but I didn't KNOW that it was, and there's zero satisfaction saying I told you so after the event. Imagine if it had been great! I'd be the first to say I've been an absolute f***wit. Similarly, if Boris Johnson had been an inspiration and led the nation to greatness, and hadn't acted in pretty much exactly the way you would expect someone who'd had multiple affairs and been sacked from jobs for lying, I'd have been going "ha ha, good old Boris" like some people still do now, instead of thinking that the world has gone f**king mad (or at least not done the absolute bare minimum of due diligence).

My parents simply cannot bare to admit that the Blair years did not really cause them any problems - when I got in on Thursday and they'd been watching the election coverage while babysitting for us, they were naturally crushed by the evening's events, and their reference point for explaining to me the evils of the Labour movement was Harold Wilson.

They think Starmer is evil and a big shit, and I dare say that however obvious it becomes that that isn't the case, I don't think they'll ever concede that. But why not?

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
Harold not Howard Wilson FFS
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

So much can happen in 5/6 years.Spring 92 Labour on the floor.Autumn 98 the Conservative Party declared officially dead.Winter 19 Conservatives likely to see out a quarter of century in office.Summer 24 Labour landslide 

Edited by Heathrow fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's always a note with a little joke on it. It's a thing that they do. Only this time the Tories went public with it and tried to convince morons that it actually meant something when it was actually a normal thing.

I think that's worked on at least one count anyway....

39 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I never realised until reading this thread that there is actually a cupboard in 10 Downing Street where all the country’s money is kept 

It's quite a small cupboard but not as small as the cupboard left for the Tories on 2010 if I understand the last few pages of this thread correctly 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think you been completely delusional to the point of needing medical or psychological help which ironically neither of which is easy to come by anymore.

Questioning someone’s mental health is always a really good quality post on a forum where you have no idea who you’re addressing or who is reading. 

What a decent person you must be. 🙄

If you hold genuine concerns then address them by DM and include a list of support organisations. 

If you were just making the post in order to belittle then I have no words to describe the paucity of your character. 

We both know which one applies. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

It's quite a small cupboard but not as small as the cupboard left for the Tories on 2010 if I understand the last few pages of this thread correctly 

The tories were only left a matchbox and it wasn’t even a swan vesta 

6 hours ago, SMX11 said:

I think this is the last hurrah for the current managerial elite to try and fix some problems in this country or else they will be swept away with more radical politics by the end of the decade. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon period with be. 

That "radical politics" has already been trialled several times in the last Parliament.

There is no "current managerial elite".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

eh, as the forums foremost Blair hater (man needs to be silent unless it's in the Hague begging for mercy), the current state of the country and economy is not significantly better than it was in 2010 and that's without the mitigating circumstances of a global financial crash caused by American bankers.

Are you forgetting the mitigating circumstances of the Covid pandemic where large chunks of the economy where closed for the best part of a year. 

11 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Now the smoke's cleared a bit and I've calmed down about the insanity on show in the city yesterday, I've taken a look at Shockat Adam's credentials and, to be fair to him, he seems like a decent fella. I didn't realise he has an NHS background, or that half of his campaign was about the state of it.

Obviously he's only in power because of the Gaza thing but who knows, he sounds like a decent human being with strong local roots, maybe he'll work constructively with the government on stuff.

Which is more than can be said for the new representative for Leicester East, who get exactly what they deserve for choosing a Tory - at least 4-5 years of yelling into the void while the adults get on with trying to fix a broken country.

He was the Leicester chair of Muslim Engagement and Development, an Islamic NGO that Labour have a policy of non-engagement with due to their extreme views. Figures within this organisation have said that the 2017 Westminster attack was not terrorism, opposed the blacklisting of the terror group Hizb ut-Tahrir and legitimised the killing of British troops.

I can't find anything on him working in the NHS, on Companies House he is listed as the director of multiple private opticians and a property investment company.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/fK7MKfS-r3PwOSupNuYiQQcrzzI/appointments

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Delighted that Truss, Coffey and Rees Mogg no longer MPs

Even when you step away from the bigger names you remember total plonkers like David Kawczynski. Not just a nasty piece of work once warned about bullying but who managed to claim £22k for Polish lessons. This despite his mother tongue being Polish. There was also him promoting Putin and cozying up to Saudis for a consultancy role. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Novara are having a normal one

Given her histrionics on the stage during the declaration, I sincerely doubt anyone would pigeon her for the leadership of a pub quiz team let alone a nation. 

7 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Are the ‘friends of Al- aqsa’ anything more than a pro Palestine pressure group?  is there any evidence of them acting outside of the law or wanting the destruction of Israel? 

If he really did use their offices then he couldn’t really distance himself from them.  

there’s way too much equivocation given to people who are simply protesting for a Palestinian state within a two state solution with those who want the removal of the Israeli state completely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Given her histrionics on the stage during the declaration, I sincerely doubt anyone would pigeon her for the leadership of a pub quiz team let alone a nation. 

What did she do? 

You look at the Tories now who find themselves in the position Labour found themselves after the last election. Perhaps after the Cameron/Brown election. 

It’s imperative for us as a country to have a genuine opposition. Majorities like the one we have the one we have with the previous government is not a good thing. Accountability is key for the democracy to work. 

You see some of the names touted as next leader and you just look at them and think, these ****ers could **** themselves even harder. Cleverly is the only grown up out of the lot but with the one vote per member, it’s clear with the obsession with Johnson and the idiocy of Truss, most of those members haven’t got a clue. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

You look at the Tories now who find themselves in the position Labour found themselves after the last election. Perhaps after the Cameron/Brown election. 

It’s imperative for us as a country to have a genuine opposition. Majorities like the one we have the one we have with the previous government is not a good thing. Accountability is key for the democracy to work. 

You see some of the names touted as next leader and you just look at them and think, these ****ers could **** themselves even harder. Cleverly is the only grown up out of the lot but with the one vote per member, it’s clear with the obsession with Johnson and the idiocy of Truss, most of those members haven’t got a clue. 

The size of majorities make no real difference neither does the size of the opposition. 

Even if you argue more discenting voices provide more convincing arguments, the government votes with the whip anyway so it makes no difference if they actually convince a few MPs. 

Besides, if you think the Tories are useless, don’t you then think it’s a good thing the LibDems have got way more seats so the voices come from a wider array of opinions and not just from the Tories?

13 hours ago, Otis said:

Are you forgetting the mitigating circumstances of the Covid pandemic where large chunks of the economy where closed for the best part of a year. 

Liz Truss' suicide budget was long after that happened and caused a mini crash. it's not comparable to labour 2010

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Liz Truss' suicide budget was long after that happened and caused a mini crash. it's not comparable to labour 2010

Plus the massively self-inflicted Tory mess that is Brexit that is costing the UK around £25-100billion per year depending on which figures you look at.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3