Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If you want good public services you need higher tax. It’s not difficult to understand why, the fact politicians have long used the opposite as a vote winner is shameful.

Yep.

But then short term self interest at the expense of the future has always been an easy vote winner. It's hard to take the better pathway, so I see why so many don't.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Yep.

But then short term self interest at the expense of the future has always been an easy vote winner. It's hard to take the better pathway, so I see why so many don't.

Hard to criticise people for looking after them and theirs, I agree. Watched an interesting article about how a wealth tax could/couldn’t work, the death of the middle class and how wealth is in itself captive to us, those who generate it. Wealth is here but accessing it in a meaningful way is challenging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Hard to criticise people for looking after them and theirs, I agree. Watched an interesting article about how a wealth tax could/couldn’t work, the death of the middle class and how wealth is in itself captive to us, those who generate it. Wealth is here but accessing it in a meaningful way is challenging.

Interesting.

There's been reams written about such economics and it's fascinating to see so many viewpoints on it.

The way I see it though it just plays into a bigger picture where money buys you the most precious resource of all - time for yourself in luxury. And even the self interested must know that for all their money, without money into certain big infrastructure projects, their own time in the comfort they enjoy is limited.

Interesting.

There's been reams written about such economics and it's fascinating to see so many viewpoints on it.

The way I see it though it just plays into a bigger picture where money buys you the most precious resource of all - time for yourself in luxury. And even the self interested must know that for all their money, without money into certain big infrastructure projects, their own time in the comfort they enjoy is limited.

The point was that when the wealth is embedded in services people rely on, be it supermarkets, fuel, anything we believe we need for everyday life, then people are in essence empowering it whilst at the same being captive to it, so any attempt to apply a levy upon such wealth will self restrict or risk damaging the living costs of the Everyman.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The point was that when the wealth is embedded in services people rely on, be it supermarkets, fuel, anything we believe we need for everyday life, then people are in essence empowering it whilst at the same being captive to it, so any attempt to apply a levy upon such wealth will self restrict or risk damaging the living costs of the Everyman.

I see the point.

Difficult issue to address, but addressing it to progress is a necessity.

• Like 1

I see the point.

Difficult issue to address, but addressing it to progress is a necessity.

It is paramount we address it, how is rather more frustrating, as the mantra of how much is too much refuses to apply when it comes to wealth, yet nevertheless finding how to apply it is a critical requirement of a truly just society I would suggest.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

It is paramount we address it, how is rather more frustrating, as the mantra of how much is too much refuses to apply when it comes to wealth, yet nevertheless finding how to apply it is a critical requirement of a truly just society I would suggest.

Agreed.

And not only a just society, but one that actually lasts long enough to mean anything at all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Mate the average uk citizen is already taxed to high heaven, and the country is still bankrupt.
What are you afraid of in tightening non-Dom rules and taxing carried interest???? 

Mate, if you think the "working class" i.e. the ordinary people of this country are not going to be taxed further you are in for a rude awakening.

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Mate, if you think the "working class" i.e. the ordinary people of this country are not going to be taxed further you are in for a rude awakening.

Of course they are going to be taxed further, that’s fairly obvious under any ruling party. Hence I initially said the country is bankrupt and I will not be in for a rude awakening, mainly because Im not tax resident in the uk. 
But setting about the many loopholes is a great first start. Having Margaret hodge in the lords is another good sign 

37 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Of course they are going to be taxed further, that’s fairly obvious under any ruling party. Hence I initially said the country is bankrupt and I will not be in for a rude awakening, mainly because Im not tax resident in the uk. 
But setting about the many loopholes is a great first start. Having Margaret hodge in the lords is another good sign 

It's alright for some then.

As for Hodge, I thought Labour wanted abolish the House of Lords not so long back. Now they appear to be stuffing them in just like the Tories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

It's alright for some then.

As for Hodge, I thought Labour wanted abolish the House of Lords not so long back. Now they appear to be stuffing them in just like the Tories.

It’s alright for you too. British passports and citizenship give us the right to live in a lot of places should we choose too. 

Don’t hate the player, hate the game re the lords. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

which is why I think they are also looking a private investment..... as an example... I suspect Octopus Energy will be a forerunner in driving onshore wind... Greg Jackson was fairly visible post election.   

Labour have been planning for at least 6 months around all of this stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have private sector partners lined up to drive some of the investment around things like infrastructure.  

whether that is the right or wrong approach (Hospital PFI springs to mind) remains to be seen.... but it's clear we can't afford to do it all off of the back of pure Government spending.... 

I'd like to think they've learnt from the PFI experience and can use the private sector in a better, cheaper way.  But having a GB energy, GB rail etc is eventually the only way for a sustainable future.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Reform fake candidates is taking legs and legal advice being sought

This could result in an increase in Tory seats

Edited by FoxyPV
Update
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Well, for a start, one that perhaps, just perhaps, has a higher band for the highest (let's say seven figure gross) earners.

Of course, actually directing that tax income towards where it is needed rather than into already deep pockets involved in public projects is another problem, one that really does need addressing too.

NB. It would just be nice to see a massive scale long term public infrastructure project that ends up like the Korean KTX network and not like the British HS2.

You know there aren't not that many people earning that much right?  You won't raise many billions that way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If you want good public services you need higher tax. It’s not difficult to understand why, the fact politicians have long used the opposite as a vote winner is shameful.

Or you could encourage people who can afford it to use private services like they do in Australia.  You know, like schools and healthcare.

2 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

The Reform fake candidates is taking legs and legal advice being sought

This could result in an increase in Tory seats

Taking legs on twitter, in the real world it's not.

It's ridiculous. Guardian has already spoken to the supposed AI candidate.

• Like 1