Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d40fc3b883aa91061bf1848dde098b68.jpeg
Post-2016 referendum continues to show a country hugely divided by age. 

Actually wonder if Lab-LibDem-Greens created a voting block as happens in many mainland European countries whether you’d ever be able to get them out of power for generations. 

not with FPTP

fwiw, i dont think either party have effectively ben quizzed on large parts of policy 

those numbers above do make me think that labour really have to drop the ball truss style to fail to be re elected in five years time

48 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Genuinely not sure what the point your trying to make is. 

They are dropping the leveling up name, not the leveling up objectives. Or at least that's what I can make of it. 

My point is that many, outside of London and the South East and particularly in the North have complained at every touch and turn that there has been no so-called levelling up.

I can't see the point of dropping a phrase just for the sake of it when then are far for important things to do.

• Sad 1

Just now, David Hankey said:

My point is that many, outside of London and the South East and particularly in the North have complained at every touch and turn that there has been no so-called levelling up.

I can't see the point of dropping a phrase just for the sake of it when then are far for important things to do.

Maybe it is because the name is an abstract concept associated with the Tories that was quite heavily pedalled throughout the last few years and labour don't want to be associated with that phrase?

You said yourself it doesn't matter, it's a bit of paperwork. Why are you bothered?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

All they've done is dropped the name. The objectives remain the same.

A welcome return to naming government departments based on their functions rather than political slogans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I can’t see the point of complaining about a name change when there are far more important things to do.

Who cares? Seriously?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I can’t see the point of complaining about a name change when there are far more important things to do.

Who cares? Seriously?

Exactly, and that's my point. Change for the sake of change!!

• Sad 1

Ahh the levelling up fund 

52% of successful bids that can be allocated to a party were in Conservative constituencies (the Conservatives won 56% of seats in the Commons in 2019)

24% of them were in Labour areas (Labour won 31% of the seats in 2019)

Projects in Tory constituencies were awarded a total of £1.21bn, compared with £471m in Labour ones.

There was one successful bid in a Lib Dem constituency, seven for the SNP, five for the DUP, three for Sinn Fein, and one each for the Alliance Party and Plaid Cymru.

Areas have also been competing for money under the government's Towns Fund. In that contest, of the 56 constituencies that won, 47 had Conservative MPs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64337596 - even old Andy Street called it out 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

FFS,  they are simply going to stop using a phrase,  how the hell is that distracting them from doing anything.  This PM,  unlike the last three,  has every intension to improve the lifes of all of us, rather than using meaningless three word phrases in order to distract from the fact they were doing precisely nothing.  

Edited by Robo61
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's literally Day 4.

Don't let that get in the way of picking the smallest of faults with the incoming administration (with a side order of false equivocation) because ideology.

• Thanks 2

Having finally enjoyed that the Tories have been kicked out after 14 years (it seems much longer) looking right back when Cameron and Osborne somehow convinced a lot of people that austerity was a good medicine. It is surely a fact that there was a concentration to punish poorer areas that were unlikely to vote Labour in favour of what they considered their core.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sampson said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d40fc3b883aa91061bf1848dde098b68.jpeg
Post-2016 referendum continues to show a country hugely divided by age. 

Actually wonder if Lab-LibDem-Greens created a voting block as happens in many mainland European countries whether you’d ever be able to get them out of power for generations. 

There's data emerging to suggest that younger generations - notably Millenials and GenZ - seem to be bucking the trend of voting more conservatively as they age. 

Within 50 years Conservatism as we know it could literally die out. :ph34r:

Edited by RoboFox

I wonder who will do PMQs tomorrow as leader/interim leader of the opposition. Harriett Harman did it in 2010 after Ed Miliband resigned.

10 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I wonder who will do PMQs tomorrow as leader/interim leader of the opposition. Harriett Harman did it in 2010 after Ed Miliband resigned.

Guess it'll be Rayner and Dowden as deputies.  How they lined up before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Exactly, and that's my point. Change for the sake of change!!

It sounds like you're not going to give them a chance and you'll pounce on anything in these first few days/weeks. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Tbf, I noticed some potholes this morning, fully expecting Starmer to get here and bloody well fix them 😡

Thing is they'll still be there next year and the years after.

Posted (edited)

For someone who often claims they don’t vote and aren’t party political, you sure as hell are posting criticisms a minor things way way more often now Labour are in power compared to the Tories @David Hankey

At least admit your political leanings like the rest of us do.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Thing is they'll still be there next year and the years after.

The annoying thing is, I actually saw Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng digging with a pickaxe and I should have said something then. I mistakenly thought they were filling the holes as part of their community service for destroying the economy.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

For someone who often claims they don’t vote and aren’t party political, you sure as hell are posting criticisms a minor things way way more often now Labour are in power compared to the Tories @David Hankey

At least admit your political leanings like the rest of us do.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it's political or not. Incidentally, my "political learnings" as you put it are none of your business so carry on surmising. 

Just now, StanSP said:

When you're stating your political 'leanings' on a public forum, they become everyone's business... 

And likewise when you state an opinion on a public forum, people can and will state their own opinions about it.

• Like 3