Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It is therefore highly likely that during PMQ’s if Farage (or fellow MP’s) wants to catch the speakers eye… he will catch it.

Ok, he (or fellow MP’s) will only get one question as opposed to the six the official opposition get - but one’s enough for a sound bite.

But of course PMQ’s is just one part of Parliamentary business. 

As a party leader, Farage will get the right to respond to set-piece events like the King’s Speech and Budgets - he’ll be further down the line, but again, he’ll get the opportunity to make a sound bite.

The other area I expect Farage will become active in is one of the many scrutiny committees - which again, will guarantee him exposure, TV time, column inches.

He would have to turn up to work to do any of this, and, experience to date would indicate that this is not one of his strong points

45 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Well let’s consider here;

Trump is head of a fiercely tribal and loyal Republican Party - to many it doesn’t matter who leads their party of choice, they get their votes 100% of the time.

To date he has stood against Hillary Clinton - a divisive candidate herself - and Joe Biden.

He is one for two from those elections - the election he won featured Hilary constantly referencing him as X, Y, Z - there was very little push back on policies.

Trump also created a carnival atmosphere around his candidacy at that time - it was box office entertainment.

He then gets into power, gets the economy performing pretty well, yet loses as the incumbent - no doubt because the crucial floating voters saw more of him and his cheerleaders including the likes of MTG and Giuliani and just decided - “nah, can’t be part of that.”

Of course, he could possibly win this time around - but this probably says more about the Democrats and they’re ridiculous Biden situation than anything Trump has done.

Fair to say, but I would add to this that right now, I think there are precious few voters who are now not committed one way or the other - Trump has made that "with us or against us" environment very clear since he started and it's also been clear in terms of actions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It is therefore highly likely that during PMQ’s if Farage (or fellow MP’s) wants to catch the speakers eye… he will catch it.

Ok, he (or fellow MP’s) will only get one question as opposed to the six the official opposition get - but one’s enough for a sound bite. 

Only the opposition and third largest party are allocated a set number of questions at PMQs. Beyond that there isn't a specific allocation by party. If you look at the Lib Dems in the last Parliament who were the fourth largest party they only occassionally had MPs selected to ask questions. So you'd expect to hear from Farage at PMQs maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most.

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It’s like someone in the press pack was reading my posts this morning!

"Others said the former Conservative government was "intentionally COLLAPSING Britain" as part of a conspiracy."

This is a pretty mainstream view no? Especially amongst liberals/remainers. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

"Others said the former Conservative government was "intentionally COLLAPSING Britain" as part of a conspiracy."

This is a pretty mainstream view no? Especially amongst liberals/remainers. 

I suppose it depends on what you mean by as part of a conspiracy? I think that indicates there’s higher powers at play than the Conservative Party like some kind of deep state which I don’t think is a mainstream opinion at all.

It is a mainstream opinion that they are intentionally trying to sew division to hold power, especially with regards to “the culture wars”. But that’s just political “divide and conquer tactics”. I dunno if many would say it is part of a conspiracy. 

Edited by Sampson

16 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

😂 Wonder if hes one of Hamzas mates?

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjk3j4r0v7zo

It's Majid Freeman, same guy who previously released misinformation about a kidnap during the Muslim-Hindu riots, inciting the situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-63009009

He posted a video of himself following and shouting questions at Ashworth on the streets while canvassing, so no surprise Jon is airing this. 

... And yes, Hamza follows Majid Freeman on X. :dry:

Screenshot_20240711_004422.jpg

Edited by brucey

1 hour ago, brucey said:

It's Majid Freeman, same guy who previously released false misinformation about a kidnap during the Muslim-Hindu riots, inciting the situation

‘From the river to the sea’ and follows a bloke charged with terrorism offences.. Hamza on the path to radicalisation?.. 

Edited by South Shire Fox

6 hours ago, brucey said:

It's Majid Freeman, same guy who previously released misinformation about a kidnap during the Muslim-Hindu riots, inciting the situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-63009009

He posted a video of himself following and shouting questions at Ashworth on the streets while canvassing, so no surprise Jon is airing this. 

6 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

‘From the river to the sea’ and follows a bloke charged with terrorism offences.. Hamza on the path to radicalisation?.. 

The matter of Gaza and foreign policy associated with it was already a tinderbox but now it really appears to have caught fire. I don't envy those having to find a solution when both relevant parties seem entirely fine with the death of noncombatants.

46 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The matter of Gaza and foreign policy associated with it was already a tinderbox but now it really appears to have caught fire. I don't envy those having to find a solution when both relevant parties seem entirely fine with the death of noncombatants.

It’s a tad more nuanced than that mac

but on the basis that noncombatants are dying on both sides you have a basis 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s a tad more nuanced than that mac

but on the basis that noncombatants are dying on both sides you have a basis 

Probably so tbh, but the way I see it in this case intent is far secondary to deed and quite frankly given the levels of historical enmity I don't think there's much reason to trust what is said regarding avoiding civilian casualties all round anyway.

(Bear in mind this is coming from someone who thinks that, horrific Japanese war crimes aside, General Curtis LeMay himself committed a war crime with Operation Meetinghouse but got by with it because of reasons also used now and because winners don't commit war crimes.)

From today’s Beeb website:

“At least six Reform candidates have ties to Swadlincote in South Derbyshire.

A further three candidates live, or have lived, just 10 miles away in Coalville.”

Fame at last.