Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Considering how “clear” this “plan” for saving our economy supposedly is from the Tories, I sure wish they’d actually be clear about what the plan actually entails.

1) Vote conservative 

2) as yet undecided second stage

3) save the economy 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

One only has to look at our press, the malign influences on general worldwide political discourse, the finanical interests involved and how easily a total fraud like Johnson came to power to see that it IS happening here, whomever wins the upcoming election.

Totally agreed. It is happening here. This thread is the perfect example. It’s bursting at the seams with tweets. No policy notes, guidance or informed ways to vote. Tweets 

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Totally agreed. It is happening here. This thread is the perfect example. It’s bursting at the seams with tweets. No policy notes, guidance or informed ways to vote. Tweets 

Or X’s or whatever else they now call the thing that makes dirty money clean for Elon 

Posted (edited)

Big fan of the multiple Simpsons references on the last couple of pages.

Reckon Sunak's 48 hours from saying "When I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball" in a speech.

Edited by Voll Blau

7 hours ago, reporterpenguin said:

And he's standing to fail to win a seat for the 8th(?) time

Got to be his best chance I would think.  The worry is if he is elected he might just be able to perform a reverse takeover of the Conservative party.

22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Reckon Sunak's 48 hours from saying "When I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball" in a speech.

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Next Tory broadcast:

”Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Labour, but deep down you secretly long for a cold-hearted Conservative to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!”

• Haha 1

It's darkly amusing that immigration/migration appears to be high in the minds of many in this election cycle, and yet the only party seemingly giving any thought to the issue that will cause a truly unimaginable level of migration in the near future if not addressed adequately is the Greens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There’s a book called The Wall by John Lanchester where the UK builds a wall round it. Every citizen has to do mandatory military service guarding the wall from people coming in in dinghies. If people get in they’re allowed to stay but those guarding that section of wall where they get in are kicked off the island and cast into the sea as a punishment in a “1 in 1 out” system. 

Reading some people online today fawning over Nigel Farage makes me think there’s plenty in the UK who would genuinely welcome this system. 

Edited by Sampson

At this point I'm thinking that Natalie Elphicke was traded for her batshit craziness into Labour so Tories think she's getting shot of her, in exchange for Labour sending over their social admin junior to fvck up the Tories from the inside. 

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Best. Election. Ever.

I’m still wary that Labour have been won over by the right on some of their arguments though. Seeing Starmer talk about immigration recently was quite depressing, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in their actual manifesto.

I’ll give myself a week of relief and celebration when the Tories are finally kicked to the curb and hopefully it’s the most humiliating defeat in living memory as the polls show no question. And I totally understand that Labour need to stop the bleeding before they can start the surgery, but I hope they actually offer some genuine change and not watered down versions of Tory policy. I thought Starmer had some good ideas a couple of years back but he seems to have backpedaled on a lot of it and I am worried that he’s not really even offering New Labour solutions but going to govern from a place that’s noticeably to the right of Tony Blair and quite a way right of Gordon Brown. But I’ll reserve judgement on that for now and enjoy the Tory demise.

• Like 2

I can understand why people in this country want less immigration. However, I do wish that political parties would be honest with the public about what the potential drawbacks of that would be. We have an aging population and a low birthrate. If they want to increase the size of the workforce whilst lowering the number of immigrants, it means that we need start having a lot more children and the issue with that is that we are generally having fewer children because we can't afford it. It also means that the retirement age will probably have to go up again. If people have been warned about the potential and still want immigration greatly reduced, then at least the public have made an informed choice. 

image.png

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I would’ve agreed with you until 2016.

People tried to say this during the EU referendum, people tried to make economic and social arguments about the need for immigration, people tried to argue it might actually increase immigration as you’d make it harder to get in short term workers from abroad so people would have to hire longer term instead, people tried to argue they’d be making their children or grandchildren’s life into an anxiety and beurocratic ridden hell if they fell in love with a non-British person, people tried to argue our universities would start losing highly skilled talent, people tried to argue highly skilled workers would start choosing Germany or France instead.  

Problem is every time they were met with “project fear” “we’re taking back control” “you don’t believe in Britain” “you’re unpatriotic” and 3 word slogans and blind calls for patriotism and “Brits vs the world” mentality won out. 

Then we were told we couldn’t call a bigot a bigot and remain only lost because they called people racist. 

I just can’t see where this “informed debate” would genuinely happen and it wouldn’t be flooded with 2 word slogans and calls of patriotism. I remember the optimistic days of the 90s and 00s where it felt like that could happen, this isn’t how politics works in 2024 sadly.

Yeah Brexiters really shat the bed on immigration by moving the debate so far from reality people are now unwilling to engage in any kind of discussion about it even when the numbers have got so large.