Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

9 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

What a load of claptrap blaming the so-called baby-boomers for all our ills.

You should remember we had to live on rations up to around 1953 and this after our fathers had "lost" 6 years of their lives fighting for the freedoms we have today many never returning.

Just look through the history books and you will find many of instances of incompetence where things could and should have been done better.

All the more reason we could have expected them to do better I would have thought

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Big fan of the multiple Simpsons references on the last couple of pages.

Reckon Sunak's 48 hours from saying "When I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball" in a speech.

image.jpeg.2c50c6cc7b7ddfb1649b290cd5730d25.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

David hankey’s post is a great example - still going on about WW2 as if it was him who won it. 

Listening to our parents experience would leave an impression. We also grew up with threat of nuclear war with the iron curtain firmly in place across Europe. Therefore WW2 cast a long shadow across our youth. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Listening to our parents experience would leave an impression. We also grew up with threat of nuclear war with the iron curtain firmly in place across Europe. Therefore WW2 cast a long shadow across our youth. 

Again, true.

It's just unfortunate that those with power, often those of that generation, sometimes lack the vision to address the shadow crossing now, which would be as devastating as nuclear war - indeed, may hasten one, depending on how sparse resources get as a result.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Again, true.

It's just unfortunate that those with power, often those of that generation, sometimes lack the vision to address the shadow crossing now, which would be as devastating as nuclear war - indeed, may hasten one, depending on how sparse resources get as a result.

It can't all be laid at the door of a single generation. Lots of UK baby boomers affected by leaders like Thatcher who was born in 1925. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

I’m still wary that Labour have been won over by the right on some of their arguments though. Seeing Starmer talk about immigration recently was quite depressing, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in their actual manifesto.

I’ll give myself a week of relief and celebration when the Tories are finally kicked to the curb and hopefully it’s the most humiliating defeat in living memory as the polls show no question. And I totally understand that Labour need to stop the bleeding before they can start the surgery, but I hope they actually offer some genuine change and not watered down versions of Tory policy. I thought Starmer had some good ideas a couple of years back but he seems to have backpedaled on a lot of it and I am worried that he’s not really even offering New Labour solutions but going to govern from a place that’s noticeably to the right of Tony Blair and quite a way right of Gordon Brown. But I’ll reserve judgement on that for now and enjoy the Tory demise.

Best bit of corporate speak I've heard for a long time. 

That's not to say I disagree with what you say.

Who said Sikh's lost there bravado

Jailed Sikh separatist Amritpal Singh wins from Punjab’s Khadoor Sahib Lok Sabha seat
Singh, who fought the election as an independent candidate, is currently in Assam’s Dibrugarh jail.

Scroll Staff
12 hours ago
Updated 3 hours ago

Amritpal Singh, the jailed Sikh separatist and chief of pro-Khalistan group Waris Punjab De. | Narinder Nanu/AFP
Amritpal Singh, the jailed Sikh separatist and chief of pro-Khalistan group Waris Punjab De, won from Punjab’s Khadoor Sahib Lok Sabha constituency, data from the Election Commission showed.

Singh, who is fighting the election as an independent candidate, is currently in Assam’s Dibrugarh jail.

Singh won with a margin of 1,97,120 votess and secured 4,04,430 votes of the 10,47,165 total votes. Congress leader Kulbir Singh Zira was trailing at 2,07,310 votes.

On April 23, 2023, the Punjab Police arrested the self-styled Sikh preacher from Moga after he had been on the run for over a month. The 29-year-old was flown to Assam on a special flight and sent to the Dibrugarh Central Jail.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Punjab Police began cracking down on members of Waris Punjab De, or heirs of Punjab, days after Singh and his supporters stormed a police station in Amritsar on February 23, 2023. This came after one of Singh’s aides was arrested for alleged assault and attempted kidnapping.

Singh had garnered a significant following with his speeches centred around Punjab’s youth and the Sikh religion. He had also publicly supported the demand for Khalistan, an independent state for Sikhs.

Watch: Elections Online – the election results coverage by five independent newsrooms

Khadoor Sahib is one of 13 Lok Sabha seats in the state. The constituency comprises nine Assembly segments. In 2019, Congress candidate Jasbir Singh Gill won the Khadoor Sahib constituency with a margin of 1.4 lakh votes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Polling for the seat this time took place in the seventh and final phase of the election on June 1.

The counting of votes for the 2024 Lok Sabha election is underway. As per the trends at 3.30 pm, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance was leading in about 242 seats, data from the Election Commission showed. The Opposition INDIA bloc was ahead in about 236 seats.

Polling across 542 parliamentary constituencies was held across seven phases between April 19 and June 1. The Lok Sabha has 543 seats and a party or coalition needs 272 seats to form the government.

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

If you voted Brexit because you thought there were "too many brown faces in Sainsbury's", as one person said on a national radio call-in show, you have now ended up with far more brown faces as a result of us leaving the European Union. 

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

You've taken a simplistic and ignorant soundbite and tried to make it political and a criticism of those who exercised their right to vote, a result you clearly disagree with. 

People voted for Brexit for more than this single reason, if you'd care to look.

Brexit vote explained: poverty, low skills and lack of opportunities | Joseph Rowntree Foundation (jrf.org.uk)

I voted Remain FWIW but I have accepted the result of what was a national referendum. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

It can't all be laid at the door of a single generation. Lots of UK baby boomers affected by leaders like Thatcher who was born in 1925. 

And nor did I say or imply so.

That being said, as per before, if things go sideways then those left aren't going to be choosy about who they blame anyway.

Edited by leicsmac

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And nor did I say or imply so.

That being said, as per before, if things go sideways then those left aren't going to be choosy about who they blame anyway.

I agree you didn't but someone else did

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

David hankey’s post is a great example - still going on about WW2 as if it was him who won it. 

That's very unfair. My parents lived through it and it was a great hardship on them and a great cost to the nation. I'm not suggesting the survivors are owed by us all that have come into this world since but the memories of that time in our history has a profound effect on those that lived on. They deserve more respect from the likes of you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

You've taken a simplistic and ignorant soundbite and tried to make it political and a criticism of those who exercised their right to vote, a result you clearly disagree with. 

People voted for Brexit for more than this single reason, if you'd care to look.

Brexit vote explained: poverty, low skills and lack of opportunities | Joseph Rowntree Foundation (jrf.org.uk)

I voted Remain FWIW but I have accepted the result of what was a national referendum. 

My point wasn't that all Brexit voters were racist, my point was that if you did vote Brexit for racist reasons, you've ultimately been let down on that front because instead of immigration from the EU, we're now seeing far more immigration coming from countries where people are not white. I don't think that most Brexit voters were racist, but there's no doubt that there were racist Brexit voters. Let's face it, there was messaging from prominent Leave campaigners that were designed to appeal to people's bigotries. I'll point you to Nigel Farage's 'Breaking Point' poster with a picture of non-EU national on the move. 

I can't help but feel like you've completely got the wrong end of the stick. If you look a few pages back on this thread I openly criticised Labour's 2019 second referendum policy because it was a slap in the face to so many people in the electorate and sent out the message of 'no, you got it wrong. Have another go' . 

Cameron and Osborne's austerity certainly didn't help the case for remain, especially when they were heading the remain campaign. They can't turn around and say 'yeah, sorry. It's the policies that we've been implementing for the past six years as to why your life sucks. Vote for us'. 

Edited by BenTheFox

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

That's very unfair. My parents lived through it and it was a great hardship on them and a great cost to the nation. I'm not suggesting the survivors are owed by us all that have come into this world since but the memories of that time in our history has a profound effect on those that lived on. They deserve more respect from the likes of you.

Agreed. However, respect goes both ways, and the points above wrt the future still stand.

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Again, true.

I don't think it's lack of vision more lack of understanding. It's an age related thing. Remember when your parents couldn't grasp the concept of computers, automation, even TV remote controls because it was outside of their known experience.

Unfortunately, if it's "new" it's "alien" to what they know and what they expect of the world they've lived in and that's where they struggle.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Nigel, Nigel, Nigel.

Theres only one Nigel Pearson, one, Nigel Pearson, theres only one Nigel Pearson....

Corrected your spelling mistake :D

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1