Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

Just now, Parafox said:

I don't think it's lack of vision more lack of understanding. It's an age related thing. Remember when your parents couldn't grasp the concept of computers, automation, even TV remote controls because it was outside of their known experience.

Unfortunately, if it's "new" it's "alien" to what they know and what they expect of the world they've lived in and that's where they struggle.

I think that's true too, but sadly the issues that need addressing aren't going to make allowances for that, as much as we'd like them to.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

You've taken a simplistic and ignorant soundbite and tried to make it political and a criticism of those who exercised their right to vote, a result you clearly disagree with. 

People voted for Brexit for more than this single reason, if you'd care to look.

Brexit vote explained: poverty, low skills and lack of opportunities | Joseph Rowntree Foundation (jrf.org.uk)

I voted Remain FWIW but I have accepted the result of what was a national referendum. 

All this says is people of certain demographics, most notably older people, were more likely to vote leave, which is news to no one. People may have been quite fairly dissatisfied with society, but that says nothing about why multi-millionaires like Farage and Johnson then weaponised this dissatisfaction by blaming on immigrants and quoting 2 or 3 word slogans about taking back control and project fear over and over again:

Hate this “I’ve accepted the result of the referendum” stuff in 2024, in the 2017 fine but the referendum was 8 bloody years ago now, why have you accepted a result that was made years ago as if it’s final. There are 25 year olds now who weren’t eligible to vote then, there are naturalised British citizens who hadn’t moved to the uk then. That’s not how democracy works, Labour aren’t in power because well we voted them in in 1997, so we have to accept that.

Every poll shows now the public are in favour of rejoining the eu and regret leaving. We have had 8 years worth of evidence and a changing world since the referendum happened. I don’t know many people who think the country is a better place now than it was in 2015. I don’t see why people should have to accept a world based on a poll that was done nearly a decade ago and then ignore everything that has happened since.

Edited by Sampson

9 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

My point wasn't that all Brexit voters were racist, my point was that if you did vote Brexit for racist reasons, you've ultimately been let down on that front because instead of immigration from the EU, we're now seeing far more immigration coming from countries where people are not white. I don't think that most Brexit voters were racist, but there's no doubt that there were racist Brexit voters. Let's face it, there was messaging from prominent Leave campaigners that were designed to appeal to people's bigotries. I'll point you to Nigel Farage's 'Breaking Point' poster with a picture of non-EU national on the move. 

I can't help but feel like you've completely got the wrong end of the stick. If you look a few pages back on this thread I openly criticised Labour's 2019 second referendum policy because it was a slap in the face to so many people in the electorate and sent out the message of 'no, you got it wrong. Have another go' . 

Cameron and Osborne's austerity certainly didn't help the case for remain, especially when they were heading the remain campaign. They can't turn around and say 'yeah, sorry. It's the policies that we've been implementing for the past six years as to why your life sucks. Vote for us'. 

Probably true and that is the problem with indirect discussion via social media.  

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

All this says is people of certain demographics, most notably older people, were more likely to vote leave, which is news to no one. People may have been quite fairly dissatisfied with society, but that says nothing about why multi-millionaires like Farage and Johnson then weaponised this dissatisfaction by blaming on immigrants and quoting 2 or 3 word slogans about taking back control and project fear over and over again:

Hate this “I’ve accepted the result of the referendum” stuff in 2024, in the 2017 fine but the referendum was 8 bloody years ago now, why have you accepted a result that was made years ago?? There are 25 year olds now who weren’t eligible to vote then, there are naturalised British citizens who hadn’t moved to the uk then. That’s not how democracy works, Labour aren’t in power because well we voted them in in 1997, so we have to accept that.

Every poll shows now the public are in favour of rejoining the eu and regret leaving. We have had 8 years worth of evidence and a changing world since the referendum happened. I don’t know many people who think the country is a better place now than it was in 2015.

Because I had to. I had a life to get on with. I didn't say I agreed with it.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Because I had to. I had a life to get on with. I didn't say I agreed with it.

It doesn’t mean you should accept it as final and people absolutely should be now bringing it back into the discourse around how shit it’s been, more than enough time has passed now. Thats how democracy works. Brexit has been shit, the majority of people know it, the majority of people want to rejoin the uk and the demographics of the vote show that that feeling is only increasing over time.

The “we should accept it” stuff in 2024 is crap, if you accepted it in 2017 then fine, but we have elections every 4 or 5 years for a reason - so people can change course when evidence has been presented to them. The time at which you can reasonably say  “you should (still) accept the referendum” should’ve long expired by now.

We shouldn’t be still accepting being outside the EU because of a referendum from donkeys years ago, we should be reminding people that it’s been crap and keeping the discourse of how crap it’s been in the public eye so we can reasonably change course, as is the case in a democratic country. 

Edited by Sampson

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

What a load of claptrap blaming the so-called baby-boomers for all our ills.

You should remember we had to live on rations up to around 1953 and this after our fathers had "lost" 6 years of their lives fighting for the freedoms we have today many never returning.

Just look through the history books and you will find many of instances of incompetence where things could and should have been done better.

You were the generation that was handed everything from those who fought in the wars, and you left nothing for those after you. That’s how baby boomers will be remembered, that’s how sunak will be remembered on July 5 2024 onwards. Guilty 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You were the generation that was handed everything from those who fought in the wars, and you left nothing for those after you. That’s how baby boomers will be remembered, that’s how sunak will be remembered on July 5 2024 onwards. Guilty 

Just like your earlier missive you have confirmed you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Like 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

You don't know individual circumstances. I have to wonder what jaundiced relationships some have with their own parents if from that age group. As for the war time generation my baby boomer wife spent years as a carer with poor pay looking after them making their last years as comfortable as possible. Not guilty.

• Like 3

:dunno: While the critique going on here may be unjustified, it's rather tame compared to the judgement that might come in the future. And that won't be just in the form of words, either.

Perhaps a little more focus on solving the issues might be better than focus on what age group may or may not be mostly responsible for them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: While the critique going on here may be unjustified, it's rather tame compared to the judgement that might come in the future. And that won't be just in the form of words, either.

Perhaps a little more focus on solving the issues might be better than focus on what age group may or may not be mostly responsible for them.

Would hope this generation isn’t as sensitive and a massive snowflake like @David Hankey and faces up to their responsibilities instead of blaming others. We still have time. Starting on July 4 by delivering a historic and unanimous rejection of the status quo 

"Every week someone comes up to me and says I saved their family with furlough during the pandemic".

Like when Rodgers claimed that Rangers fan went up to him and said he was great for Scottish football.

• Haha 1

This is already chaos. She’s lost control early lol

I really, really dislike Starmer and how he speaks. 

I actually don’t mind Sunak but he’s leading a broken team that can’t continue like it has.

I’ve no idea what his answer is. 

I don’t think either of these two should

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1