Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

A population of 60 million and these two are the best we can offer. Sad times.

Whatever you do, don't look across the pond. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Disagree, I'm afraid. I find the bullet points of manifestos are usually pretty clear and put in reasonably clear language.

I'm all for making politics more accessible, but this kind of shouting match doesn't do that. It disenfranchises, rather than engages.

They are accessible to some, but not to as many as it should be.

My main point is people aren't able to understand what it means for them or their loved ones. I guess accessible can be interpreted as different things, yes they're available to be read by most, but the % to actually understand what it means is much fewer.

But I do agree, what I've taken from the bickering is that we aren't in for a good ride whoever is voted in 

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I wish public affairs were better taught in schools. That'd be a start.

Absolutely. It should be so much more about what it actually means, what each party/policy means for the normal. 

But politics isn't on the curriculum, and schools need to hit grades to get funding, so it's axed.

Realise I've quoted you a few times in a short space here!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Anyone know who introduced the furlough scheme and which politician's father was a tool maker? 

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Anyone know who introduced the furlough scheme and which politician's father was a tool maker? 

You can say that again

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They are accessible to some, but not to as many as it should be.

My main point is people aren't able to understand what it means for them or their loved ones. I guess accessible can be interpreted as different things, yes they're available to be read by most, but the % to actually understand what it means is much fewer.

But I do agree, what I've taken from the bickering is that we aren't in for a good ride whoever is voted in 

And that's why it's such a dreadful format. It always resorts to slanging matches and isn't a true reflection of either candidates's policies or personalities.

If the Tory advisors had any sense, they'd let Sunak just be himself (ie a geeky bit intelligent dullard) and go for it on detail. 

He actually landed some punches on climate policies and immigration and national service, when he let himself go a bit. 

Tories have no other choice but to go for a hail.mary and, against an appallingly vanilla Starmer, it could still bring about a more eldest defeat or even hung parliament 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

And that's why it's such a dreadful format. It always resorts to slanging matches and isn't a true reflection of either candidates's policies or personalities.

We should have done a reverse naked attraction, where they stand in a box and if they talk out of turn, the screen drops! 

on seconds thoughts …. :S

Sunak was predictably woeful, but Starmer has missed an open goal, there. You need more than to just point out how shit the opposition are - everyone knows that already. He's just so woolly about everything.

Posted (edited)

Watching Ed Davey’s interview and he comes across as so much better than Starmer or Sunak. Still voting Labour inspite of Starmer, he’s a Labour leader, he shouldn’t be scared to say he’s going to raise taxes ffs, it’s supposed to be a Social Democratic Party, not a neoliberal one.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Etchingham was poor.  Worse than the commons speaker.  Just let Sunak butt in continuously without challenge.  Didn't question his nonsense 2k tax claim either and when Starmer attempted to give an answer, she shut him down.

Sunak comes across as little, angry man.  There's no substance to his plan for anything either. His costly planes will only deal with 2% of the people coming in and he thinks this will be a deterrent?  Nonsense.

Just now, Sampson said:

Watching Ed Davey’s interview and he comes across as so much better than Starmer or Sunak. Still voting Labour in spite of Starmer, he’s a Labour leader, he shouldn’t be scared to say he’s going to raise taxes ffs, it’s supposed to be a Social Democratic Party, not a neoliberal one.

That's where we are with the Overton Window and the Americanisation of our politics, I'm afraid.

I do think the country will become a bit more serious and honest if he gets in, but right now he's got to go for the lowest common denominator stuff because it's the only way you get in here.

Format was awful, ref was shite and no VAR.

I learnt nothing and spent an hour feeling irritated.

Agree with others that this actually turns people off politics rather than helps inform. Need to go back to a proper debate rather than this 45 seconds shite

• Like 2