Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

45 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm gonna take a more sympathetic view. I kinda got the tone of what she meant, but she didn't quite articulate it as someone 'educated' might. And,.of course,.she isn't a seasoned professional in front of a.camera..all of us may struggle to articulate our thoughts when put on the spot with a mic and camera

She's likely concerned at the pace of change. Older people always have been, it's not new. The old city working class neighbourhoods she'd have known would now be,.in some cases, 99% non white. 

I'd imagine that she also feels that many new immigrants don't appear to assimilate too well. It's not like they arrive with the American dream and have pot roasts and watch the superbowl. Many arrive in Europe to, pretty much, to continue to live as they were living. Like Brits in Spain. I think that's a fair argument. 

What she doesn't perhaps know is she was conned by Brexit. Helluva lot of brexiteers were voting for tough immigration rules. Instead, Brexit has replaced white, Christian east European immigrants on freedom.of movement rights with brown, non Christian immigration on student visas.  Which, personally, I kinda enjoy the irony. 

She articulated core racist beliefs rather clearly. What you really mean is she didn't use dogwhistles and innuendo and stick to arguments that centrists are comfortable rationalising. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

That's the standard old trope isn't it - they cook great food but I can't stand them. What about the good ones? 'Well they're alright, but it's the bad ones that need to go!' As if anyone anywhere can differentiate what a good and bad Muslim is based on how they view them on the street. Absolute plebs.

Can you fvcking blame them when that kind of woman is what they have to put up with? 

It's a vicious circle that British folk put unto those ethnic minorities.

'YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE, GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY, WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE!'

When you see the rhetoric in the media purveyed by standard normal members of the public, what chance to they have to 'integrate' or 'assimilate'. Would you be comfortable 'assimilating' in a foreign country if some (racist) residents of that country hated the colour of your skin (but conveniently only like your food)? You wouldn't feel very comfortable, would you? And then you expect them to just walk into a community with a big smile on their face as if they'd lived there all their lives. They're perceived not to integrate well because they're not made to feel very welcome...

Yeah, this.

Sadly it's an issue in a lot of different countries and across a lot of different languages too. Anecdotal, but while the vast majority of Koreans were friendly, enthusiastic and kind when I came across them, there were bigots who didn't like the "weigukin" and when you met them, you knew about it pretty damn fast and it did have an effect. Seeing it from the other side is...illuminating.

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Can you fvcking blame them when that kind of woman is what they have to put up with

Didn't I kinda address that point in my post? 

The nearest role reversal equivalent we can point to are Brits in Spain or Provence. 

I could, tbh, understand French or Spanish taking umbrage at those Brits who won't learn the language, only frequent ex pat bars / eateries and generally appear unenthusiastic about the country they've chosen to settle in. 

I think it's too easy and very virtue signally to hang out this lady's opinions. I don't think she's perhaps the racist old dear you'd like her to be

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I've only had a Lib Dem leaflet through my door. 

Had a Tory one through today, all decked out in their traditional... er... red.

Can't even stand by their own colours now. Absolute weasels.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

The nearest role reversal equivalent we can point to are Brits in Spain or Provence. 

I could, tbh, understand French or Spanish taking umbrage at those Brits who won't learn the language, only frequent ex pat bars / eateries and generally appear unenthusiastic about the country they've chosen to settle in. 

I think it's too easy and very virtue signally to hang out this lady's opinions. I don't think she's perhaps the racist old dear you'd like her to be

How is 'virtue signally' to point out that her opinions are just racist without being so blatant about it? 

It's not that I want her to be a racist old dear. It's the fact she most likely goes back home to her family (one of which used to be 'woke', apparently, that she turned lol) and moans about the browns/Asians/ethnics/Muslims and wants them out the country but will happily use their services when they cook good food for her. 

She's basically stopped short of saying she wants her community and street to be fully English and fully white. If you can't see that from what she is saying, because she isn't cleverly articulate enough about it, then I'm sorry. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How is 'virtue signally' to point out that her opinions are just racist without being so blatant about it? 

It's not that I want her to be a racist old dear. It's the fact she most likely goes back home to her family (one of which used to be 'woke', apparently, that she turned lol) and moans about the browns/Asians/ethnics/Muslims and wants them out the country but will happily use their services when they cook good food for her. 

She's basically stopped short of saying she wants her community and street to be fully English and fully white. If you can't see that from what she is saying, because she isn't cleverly articulate enough about it, then I'm sorry. 

Tbf, your supposition is just as likely to be right as mine. 

I guess I'm trying to give her the benefit of doubt, maybe others aren't. 

Take the granddaughter comments. I could read that as 'my granddaughter is as woke and liberal as they come, and even she has started to agree with my views'

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You're objectively wrong here. The woman articulated beliefs consistent with the great replacement theory which is a racist theory about whites becoming a minority in 'their' country. 

It isn't the same as the scenario you describe. There's no issue of race involved with the behaviour of British tourists and expats in Spain and France. 

I think we have to ask ourselves can we agree that certain beliefs and patterns of thought are racist in nature? 

7 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Weirdly thought about this earlier today too. Wonder if he really just cannot be arsed and is just going through the motions. 

Just need someone to turn the off switch on his robot political life. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Weirdly thought about this earlier today too. Wonder if he really just cannot be arsed and is just going through the motions. 

Just need someone to turn the off switch on his robot political life. 

If I was worth £700m I could think of about 25,000 other things I’d rather do than run for another term.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Why waste everyone's time and go for the leadership in the first place

Well he’s in post so it would be a bit weird not to, after the D Day debacle he’s now under massive pressure - pretty simple. 

30 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

If I was worth £700m I could think of about 25,000 other things I’d rather do than run for another term.

I'm sure you are being slightly facetious, but the answer is imagine is that he's (compared with average Joes like me) an absolute winner in life. 

I know that'll create some sniggers. But I'd guess 99% of young Asian lads growing up in Southampton with a Dr Dad and pharmacist Mum would end up, being, err, a doctor or pharmacist. 

Whatever we all make of him personally, he's broken his mould. Went to California, studied at elite level, played the money markets,.married into billionaire level wealth and then reached the very very top of his chosen career. 

Whether we like it or not, the guy isn't made just to sit around and count his wealth

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Well he’s in post so it would be a bit weird not to, after the D Day debacle he’s now under massive pressure - pretty simple. 

I mean when he actually got the leadership, why bother if you were gonna just jump ship when it's quite clearly not going your way. Must be a Tory thing like with Cameron

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I mean when he actually got the leadership, why bother if you were gonna just jump ship when it's quite clearly not going your way. Must be a Tory thing like with Cameron

Quitting means they can just carry on as if nothing has gone wrong and they can avoid the deafening cognitive dissonance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Quitting means they can just carry on as if nothing has gone wrong and they can avoid the deafening cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, it's not like he'll give two shites when he's Stateside and set up on the speaking/lecture circuit for life and doesn't have to associate with anyone of the British public that might bother him again.