Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

On 22/05/2024 at 20:13, urban.spaceman said:

Winners: Labour

Seats: 456

Conservatives: 114

Lib Dems 29

SNP 12

Reform 1

Greens 3

Others: 35

Can I change my prediction? I honestly think now that they'll get under 100 seats.

Posted (edited)

I don't understand. Why bring up the thought of national service as an election policy? In what way is that going to win votes from anyone? The young won't certainly vote for a party that wants to openly introduce it, the parents of the kids wont want to their kids doing it on the whole. You alienated lots of voters. 

They know something is brewing, and of course, it will be needed I feel, (god, I hope I'm wrong) but this whole thing sounds bizarre to add it to a policy and think people will elected you. Ot can't be just sheer incompetence....can it?

I genuinely have no idea who to vote for on this election. The whole thing from any side seems chaotic. I'm not a political expert of any sorts and don't have a preferred party, never have. But I always find things that can get behind with a party. But this one....not a clue 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I don't understand. Why bring up the thought of national service as an election policy? In what way is that going to win votes from anyone? The young won't certainly vote for a party that wants to openly introduce it, the parents of the kids wont want to their kids doing it on the whole. You alienated lots of voters. 

They know something is brewing, and of course, it will be needed I feel, (god, I hope I'm wrong) but this whole thing sounds bizarre to add it to a policy and think people will elected you. Ot can't be just sheer incompetence....can it?

I genuinely have no idea who to vote for on this election. The whole thing from any side seems chaotic. I'm not a political expert of any sorts and don't have a preferred party, never have. But I always find things that can get behind with a party. But this one....not a clue 

Unlikely, this is the same policy as what exists in France. The headline is the military bit but the vast vast majority aren’t actually going to do that. Difference was in France, Macron introduced it mid-term, not as a desperate ploy to win votes in an election. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Have you visited each of the parties websites? Or are basing it purely on what you see in the news or on twitter etc? 

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

Unlikely, this is the same policy as what exists in France. The headline is the military bit but the vast vast majority aren’t actually going to do that. Difference was in France, Macron introduced it mid-term, not as a desperate ploy to win votes in an election. 

It’s actually quite a clever move. A large majority of people think anyone who is 18 are work shy lazy bas***** and it isn’t forcing them into the military but one weekend a month volunteering, hardly a back breaker. Similar policy exists in counties far better than ours 

8 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

It’s actually quite a clever move. A large majority of people think anyone who is 18 are work shy lazy bas***** 

Any evidence for this assertion?

I'm in my 60s and have found the majority of youngsters to be polite and hard-working. It's generally the youngsters who keep things ticking over, delivering stuff, building the new properties etc. They do have some faults - they find it hard to cope with change or map finding - but I've never seen evidence of the 18-25 crowd being work shy or lazy.

• Like 1

Rishi Sunak gets paid millions in dividends per year by his father in law to effectively shag his daughter.

This idiot talking about “real life experience” is infuriating! 

Between him and the coward Farage (I won’t stand but I’ll say all sorts to wind the rest of you up), I don’t know who has pissed me off more. 

The Modi lover (the way Sunak hugs that murderer tells all you need to know about his loyalties). Or the fella who has the face of a nonce keep saying it but have no idea what “British values” mean. 

• Like 1

I don't disagree with having some sort of national citizen service. Because there is value in volunteering and you can learn a lot. But at school level

I think at 18 you should have the right to move on with your education and career though

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jeremy's campaign leaflet is so light on parliamentary achievements in the last 40 years that he's listed "saving the No. 4 bus" in 2022 as one of them lol

Alan Johnson put it wonderfully this morning:

"I think he's been an independent, on our benches, for about the last 40 years... I don't think they'll be much change there"

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

They're basically just throwing red meat to the angry gammons who despise anyone under 30 at this point. It's clearly not a coherent, thought through policy with so many questions unanswered.

1) How much will it cost to pay, train, house, feed and equip 30,000 18-year-olds for a year?

2) What support will be offered to charitable and public organisations who take on the other 670,000 18-year-olds?

3) What happens to those people being paid to do the jobs that will be done for free by Sunak's conscript army of forced volunteers? 

4) If it's compulsory, what happens to the hundreds of thousands of 18-year-olds who say, '**** off, I'm going to uni/working full-time?'

A more sensible policy would have been to make it voluntary, extend it to under-25s and offer incentives such as help with a deposit for a house, reduction or forgiveness of student debt or free vocational qualifications, but 'sensible' and 'desperate Tory government tickling the scrotum of aging , bitter old farts whose blood pressure rises when they pass a student union in the forlorn hope they don't get completely destroyed in the election' don't go together.

It's also a hell of a motivator to get young voters out as happened in 2017. It's a choice between votes at 16 and more funding for apprenticeships with Labour or compulsory Maths until 18 (with teachers who don't exist because of the Tories' mismanagement of education) followed by a choice of conscription or community service wiping the arses of Boomers, who despise their very existence, for free. 

At some point, Starmer is going to run out of genies because, as things stand, the only way he's losing this election is if he buggers a heron on Loose Women.

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jeremy's campaign leaflet is so light on parliamentary achievements in the last 40 years that he's listed "saving the No. 4 bus" in 2022 as one of them lol

In fairness, if you're standing as an MP solely for the benefit of your constituents then that's a fair enough achievement to include - assuming he did play a part in it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Rishi Sunak gets paid millions in dividends per year by his father in law to effectively shag his daughter.

This idiot talking about “real life experience” is infuriating! 

Between him and the coward Farage (I won’t stand but I’ll say all sorts to wind the rest of you up), I don’t know who has pissed me off more. 

The Modi lover (the way Sunak hugs that murderer tells all you need to know about his loyalties). Or the fella who has the face of a nonce keep saying it but have no idea what “British values” mean. 

lol. The missing comma makes this :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

almost like he's campaigning as a local MP and is focusing on local achievements? 

tbh it's gonna be hilarious watching the labour flailing when Islington doesn't fall in line and support whatever private healthcare connected briefcase they impose on the CLP

• Like 1