Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 hours ago, Bilo said:

I've seen this argument on Twitter and it's wildly simplistic.

Firstly, popular vote means jack. Labour's vote under Corbyn was incredibly inefficient as the party built huge majorities in strongholds but haemorrhaged votes in marginals. It made Labour look more electable than it ever actually was because Corbyn was only really good at motivating people who basically already agreed with him.

Secondly, Blair had to deal with the Lib Dems when they were viable under Ashdown and then Brown had to deal with them under Clegg before he became one of the most hated politicians in the UK. Fast forward to 2015 and Miliband is having to battle out working-class constituencies with UKIP.

By 2019, with the Lib Dems on their arse and UKIP gone, you had millions of working-class and pro-Remain votes that had to go somewhere. Effective Labour leadership would have loved this situation, but Labour had someone who was only interested in speaking to people who were already on side. Some working-class voters went to Labour, making the party look more popular than it was, but the vast majority went to the Tories in what had all but become a two party system. The result was that the Tory popular vote grew far more than the Labour vote, especially in marginals where UKIP had once been strong and the Brexit Party/Company stood aside for Brexit. The result was obvious. 

The allegations of antisemitism regarding Corbyn himself were unfair, but much harder to dismiss with swathes of his supporters and the reality is that he did a very, very poor job of tackling this phenomenon. It's also, frankly, bizarre to simultaneously laugh off allegations of antisemitism against Corbyn while simultaneously accusing Blair of 'attacking Howard for being Jewish.' The flying pigs ad was tasteless and crass, but the targeted harassment of Jewish activists in Labour who did not unequivocally support Corbyn was real, supported by evidence from the EHRC and grossly unedifying.  

FWIW, I suspect Starmer intends to be a one term PM. He'll be in his mid sixties by 2029 and the likely scale of Labour's victory means they're probably still going to be in power on his 70th birthday. He has already spoken in no uncertain terms about Labour's need for a female leader in the near future and Rachel Reeves' profile is very prominent indeed. I would be very surprised if she wasn't Labour leader by the start of the next decade. 

GQDkfHFWsAA6BCy.thumb.jpeg.f2d6af8993e63a2e7f0411c4b1bb2e62.jpeg

• Haha 2

Can we talk about Labour’s candidate for Clacton’s style? I can’t decide if he looks dapper as **** or like an 80s Doctor Who cosplay.

If someone could get him an umbrella with a question mark shaped handle that would be lovely. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

One thing that is annoying me at the moment is the sheer amount of mistruths Nigel Farage is getting away with

This applies to all and it is worth remembering that Foxestalk is "social media"

The lies, mistruths and deciet is being allowed on all platforms and whether its Rupert controlling his minions or Musk or Zuck etc. If a powerful owner prevents discussion they are a partialy responsible.

This post has been fact checked by...

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Can we talk about Labour’s candidate for Clacton’s style? I can’t decide if he looks dapper as **** or like an 80s Doctor Who cosplay.

If someone could get him an umbrella with a question mark shaped handle that would be lovely. 

Just imagine if the right-wing vote in Clacton is split between Farage and the Tories and this bloke comes swanking across the stage, swinging his coat tails, having been elected as  MP...... ;)

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Interesting on the discussion on who the new Tory leader will be from those that remain

of those you'd expect it'll end up being Badenoch given the way she kept getting talked up as leader when the knives were out for sunak a few months ago

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

🎵thiiings, cannot get better🎵

That think-tank hasn't factored in that labour in power will be able to buy MRI scanners at a quarter of the price that the Tories can.

I assume they will also be able to employ doctors for £5k a year or however their calculations stack up.

• Haha 1

I often wonder what it'd be like to be canvassed on my own doorstep. In all the time I've been able to vote, I've never had someone come to the door to try and get my vote for them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I often wonder what it'd be like to be canvassed on my own doorstep. In all the time I've been able to vote, I've never had someone come to the door to try and get my vote for them. 

Only happened to me once, when I was student living in a marginal. Have lived in safe seats the past decade or so and never been canvassed once. Although as a paid up Labour member I’d be worried about the data operation if I got a knock on the door. 

1 hour ago, kenny said:

That think-tank hasn't factored in that labour in power will be able to buy MRI scanners at a quarter of the price that the Tories can.

I assume they will also be able to employ doctors for £5k a year or however their calculations stack up.

Yawn

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bmt said:

Yawn

What's the issue.

Assuming they deliver it's exactly what the public sector needs. More staff and equipment for less cost than can be delivered under the current regime.