Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

53 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Labour should just respond with “she’s safe as houses”

To me he is forever Rory Bremner going “Don’t worry; I’m not going to hurt you.”

Why the **** would anyone genuinely vote to leave the European Court of Human Rights just so you can fly a few assylum seekers to Rwanda?

It’s tukeys voting for Christmas because Christmas said he’d kick the parsnips off the dinner table.

I understand we’re told we’re always supposed to not be in a bubble and genuinely listen to what the other side has to say but I just can’t get my head round something like this. 

Edited by Sampson

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Why the **** would anyone genuinely vote to leave the European Court of Human Rights just so you can fly a few assylum seekers to Rwanda?

It’s tukeys voting for Christmas because Christmas said he’d kick the parsnips off the dinner table.

I understand we’re told we’re always supposed to not be in a bubble and genuinely listen to what the other side has to say but I just can’t get my head round something like this. 

Because some people genuinely buy into the Just World Fallacy so much that they think these people somehow have earned the right to suffer further.

They believe that the world has arranged it so that their own lives deserve to be (relatively) comfortable and privileged because of how they've acted, and that others deserve suffering and misery because of how they have acted, and are happy to act as agents to facilitate it.

I have similar thoughts when I hear about people who simply do not care about people beyond their line of sight either spatially or temporally. I just want someone to explain the mentality in a way that doesn't sound like utter sociopathy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Because some people genuinely buy into the Just World Fallacy so much that they think these people somehow have earned the right to suffer further.

They believe that the world has arranged it so that their own lives deserve to be (relatively) comfortable and privileged because of how they've acted, and that others deserve suffering and misery because of how they have acted, and are happy to act as agents to facilitate it.

I have similar thoughts when I hear about people who simply do not care about people beyond their line of sight either spatially or temporally. I just want someone to explain the mentality in a way that doesn't sound like utter sociopathy.

It’s not that though (though I agree with your point It’s not the argument I’m making) they’re taking about leaving the European Court of Human Rights ffs? It’s more that it’s a comfort that people think things will never happen to them or their loved ones so are happy to give away powers that protect them because they’ve become so blasé about how hard fought these were and believe democracy and paid labour and genuinely just and fair courts of laws are and always will be without the checks and balances needed to hold them up. 

It’s not that the believe well “those people deserve it”, it’s more why they are selling away powers and laws for this which could be used by the politician you most hate in 20 years time when the public have all forgotten why they gave those laws, checks and balances away in the first place. 

The old ““I didn’t think the leopard would eat my face” says man who voted for leopard face-eating party” line is more accurate to what I’m getting at. 

Seeing clips of Farage’s manifesto launch, I just can’t wrap my head round it. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

It’s not that though (though I agree? It’s not the argument I’m making) they’re taking about leaving the European Court of Human Rights ffs? It’s more that it’s a comfort that people think things will never happen to them or their loved ones so are happy to give away powers that protect them because they’ve become so blasé about how hard fought these were and believe democracy and paid labour and genuine just courts of laws always will be without the checks and balances needed to hold them up. 

It’s not that the believe well “those people deserve it”, it’s more why they are selling away powers and laws for this which could be used by the politician you most hate in 20 years time when the public have all forgotten why they gave those laws, checks and balances away in the first place. 

“I didn’t think the leopard would eat my face” says man who voted for leopard face-eating party is more accurate than “the other person deserves to suffer”

Yep, I agree. It's an extension of the same fallacy.

"Those people deserve to suffer, because they are Bad, and those same things will never happen to me, because I'm Good."

How ridiculous does that sound? But people, many people, buy into it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Just found out the Mother-In-Law is thinking of voting for Reform. 

It has made me feel physically sick to the point I've told the Mrs her mum isn't welcome around this house any more. 

The Mrs will decide if she is welcome or not.

11 minutes ago, Rain King said:

It has made me feel physically sick to the point I've told the Mrs her mum isn't welcome around this house any more. 

The Mother-In-Law has ever been welcome? 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I did the same for my father-in-law. 

Pretty simple for me though as he is agoraphobic...

• Haha 1

Lots of discussion WRT energy policy on the news today.

It really shouldn't be a discussion, though. The equation is simple - either pay more to get the necessary infrastructure in and get foreign policy in place to facilitate other nations to do the same... or pay much more, in lives and money, in the future, and be remembered in infamy as responsible for that cost by every single generation thereafter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Labour should just respond with “she’s safe as houses”

Why is she considered a threat to European security, though?

24 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Why is she considered a threat to European security, though?

She isn’t. Cameron parroted this exact line for all of Brown, Milliband and Corbyn. It’s a standard Tory line they’ve been trotting out for 14 years, it’s been used so often people are bored of it though. 

14 hours ago, Daggers said:

These people genuinely believe they are the good guys.

Vile human beings hiding behind virtuous politics in a failed bid to hide their genuinely atrocious personalities.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

George Galloway shouting at people for 5 minutes straight with outright lies. 

I don't see much to suggest his record of never being re-elected as an MP since being expelled from Labour is going to change.

Hatred, bitterness and narcissism might do wonders with the protest vote, but five years of a self-serving MP with an abysmal record of serving multiple constituencies' interests isn't an attractive prospect.