Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

They're basically just throwing red meat to the angry gammons who despise anyone under 30 at this point. It's clearly not a coherent, thought through policy with so many questions unanswered.

1) How much will it cost to pay, train, house, feed and equip 30,000 18-year-olds for a year?

2) What support will be offered to charitable and public organisations who take on the other 670,000 18-year-olds?

3) What happens to those people being paid to do the jobs that will be done for free by Sunak's conscript army of forced volunteers? 

4) If it's compulsory, what happens to the hundreds of thousands of 18-year-olds who say, '**** off, I'm going to uni/working full-time?'

A more sensible policy would have been to make it voluntary, extend it to under-25s and offer incentives such as help with a deposit for a house, reduction or forgiveness of student debt or free vocational qualifications, but 'sensible' and 'desperate Tory government tickling the scrotum of aging , bitter old farts whose blood pressure rises when they pass a student union in the forlorn hope they don't get completely destroyed in the election' don't go together.

It's also a hell of a motivator to get young voters out as happened in 2017. It's a choice between votes at 16 and more funding for apprenticeships with Labour or compulsory Maths until 18 (with teachers who don't exist because of the Tories' mismanagement of education) followed by a choice of conscription or community service wiping the arses of Boomers, who despise their very existence, for free. 

At some point, Starmer is going to run out of genies because, as things stand, the only way he's losing this election is if he buggers a heron on Loose Women.

I think I’d still vote for him at this stage.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

almost like he's campaigning as a local MP and is focusing on local achievements? 

tbh it's gonna be hilarious watching the labour flailing when Islington doesn't fall in line and support whatever private healthcare connected briefcase they impose on the CLP

I'll happily watch that in conjunction with a massive majority elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bilo said:

In spite of or because of the stork sodomy?

If we’re all completely honest, who hasn’t been tempted?

I’d respect his honesty.

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'll happily watch that in conjunction with a massive majority elsewhere.

massive majority would be bad news tbh, gives Starmer free reign to implement his worst impulses without any worry of SCG rebels bringing down his more authoritarian garbage and without having to offer something to the greens or whatever other third parties the left wingers who he told to **** off ****ed off to

3 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Is BNP still around?  They are the only party that really has a clear manifesto.

Inactive since 2019 according to wikipedia

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

massive majority would be bad news tbh, gives Starmer free reign to implement his worst impulses without any worry of SCG rebels bringing down his more authoritarian garbage and without having to offer something to the greens or whatever other third parties the left wingers who he told to **** off ****ed off to

Think it's more likely that the Reform UK types in all their glory would be able to wield more power without such a majority tbh, but I couldn't be sure on that.

Were that not the case I might agree more.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Think it's more likely that the Reform UK types in all their glory would be able to wield more power without such a majority tbh, but I couldn't be sure on that.

Were that not the case I might agree more.

reform won't win a single seat, nor do I see how a labour majority of 10-20, where they can still be worried by the handful of actually left wing mps they have, benefits reform uk

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Indulge me, what are Starmers "worst impulses"?

17 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Indulge me, what are Starmers "worst impulses"?

Bet you anything the answer includes the phrase "Ser Kieth".

Imagine claiming to be left of centre and thinking a massive Labour majority after this election is anything other than a good thing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

reform won't win a single seat, nor do I see how a labour majority of 10-20, where they can still be worried by the handful of actually left wing mps they have, benefits reform uk

Thanks to the vagaries of FPTP. But they do have numbers - more so than their left-wing counterparts, perhaps - and I fear anything less than a Roman triumph will convince folks that a lurch in their direction is still a viable option.

Perhaps I'm just jaded by the last couple of elections where there were "genuine left-wing" MP's at the levers of power and everything went rather Pete Tong. Twice. Of course, there are a variety of reasons for why that happened, but the fact is, it happened, and I'm a bit leery that it wouldn't happen again.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Shit, who do vote for?:wes:

There's a swathe of parties, tbh. You've got the Reverse party, the Rejection party, the Rambunctious party, and even the Removals-r-us party. I may have got at least one of those names wrong because they all seem the same - but rest assured, they'll bloody hate you and happily repatriate you to Leicester Forest East services if you ask them.

31 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Bet you anything the answer includes the phrase "Ser Kieth".

Imagine claiming to be left of centre and thinking a massive Labour majority after this election is anything other than a good thing.

People who let social media soundbites from middle-class, performative leftists do all their thinking for them. It's easy to be in permanent opposition and perpetual protest when you're privileged enough to be immune to the worst excesses of Tory governance. Politics as a fashion label.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LVFox said:

Alan Johnson put it wonderfully this morning:

"I think he's been an independent, on our benches, for about the last 40 years... I don't think they'll be much change there"

The clip of him on ITV on election night 2019 next to Momentum founder tearing him and Corbyn to shreds was absolutely spot on. He predicted that they'd just start a betrayal narrative rather than take responsibility for anything they'd done and they're still proving him right.

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

In fairness, if you're standing as an MP solely for the benefit of your constituents then that's a fair enough achievement to include - assuming he did play a part in it.

There's a 20-year gap on his list where the only thing he could come up with is "went on a march that didn't even stop the thing we were protesting about". The march wasn't even in his constituency.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

almost like he's campaigning as a local MP and is focusing on local achievements? 

tbh it's gonna be hilarious watching the labour flailing when Islington doesn't fall in line and support whatever private healthcare connected briefcase they impose on the CLP

I don't think they care about losing Islington North in the grand scheme of things. Like Alan Johnson said, for most of the last 40 years he might as well have been independent.

"Chaps, I don't think I've done enough to guarantee I won't have to do this shit job anymore. Anyone got any decent ideas that would really piss off almost everyone?"

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Daggers said:

"Chaps, I don't think I've done enough to guarantee I won't have to do this shit job anymore. Anyone got any decent ideas that would really piss off almost everyone?"

How not to make friends and alienate people 

Edited by fox_favourite

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

Is he actually trying to lose the election because he knows that the country is so damaged that it'll be ungovernable for a term?

19 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Is he actually trying to lose the election because he knows that the country is so damaged that it'll be ungovernable for a term?

He probably knows that public services need more cash, and that requires a Labour Government.

Just out of interest, what are everyone's thoughts on National Service???  I'd be interested in seeing the general perception of the idea. They obviously thought it would poll well... But I'm not convinced it will. 

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I reckon Reform have maybe a 30% chance of winning Boston and Skegness but that's it. The absolute funniest (unfortunately unlikely) scenario there is that Reform and Conservatives split the gammon vote and Labour squeeze through the middle.