Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

At risk of stating the bloody obvious, if employers had to help ex-convicts reintegrate with society for the betterment of all, rather than being able to say recruit a migrant who could also have a criminal record but they cannot see it, he might be able to get a job.

I was at an event yesterday looking into this. There is actually more businesses that are supporting the recruitment of ex offenders than you think.  Timpson and Marston's gave good talks around this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

I was at an event yesterday looking into this. There is actually more businesses that are supporting the recruitment of ex offenders than you think.  Timpson and Marston's gave good talks around this. 

Yes its good to see people getting a second chance, and the guy might be unemployable, I just think it is too easy to dismiss people on an individual basis saying they are impacted by immigration.

In my area, we've had a couple of leaflet drops and post, but I'm yet to see any placard anywhere. I also travel around the city and haven't really noticed many if any at all. Normally you see posters in windows, placards on fences etc...around, but it's very muted. 

It's a bit of an odd election this one, I feel. If you didn't follow the news there is very little obvious signs there is one. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

At risk of stating the bloody obvious, if employers had to help ex-convicts reintegrate with society for the betterment of all, rather than being able to say recruit a migrant who could also have a criminal record but they cannot see it, he might be able to get a job.

Stop the dog whistling, migrants are unable to work or claim benefits. 

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/11/renters-labour-no-fault-evictions-reform-housing?CMP=share_btn_url

About 19% of UK households are in the PRS (private rental sector) and yet the major parties barely talk about it. The Greens and Lib Dems at least acknowledge its importance in the proposals that appear in their manifestos.  As this article states building houses takes time and lots of people won’t be able to afford them anyway.  There must be more protection for renters in this country, like there is in much of Europe and beyond. 

With two weeks to go, I sincerely hope we never get to listen to Gove on morning TV ever again.  Desperate doesn't even begin to describe how that went this morning.

Meanwhile, in South Leicestershire, if you see any long blades of grass out there, Costa has it covered.  lol

18 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

I don't mind paying more tax if things work but paying more tax to allow the Tory fvcks to enrich their mates and spaff public money on tax cuts for the rich is incredibly frustrating.

Exactly we pay enough tax to have everything working properly and efficiently.

I'm don't think there's enough money for most people to pay more tax. 

I pay c.47k income tax and NI

Then there's Vat on things you buy

Council tax

Then we're being gouged on energy, food, water, fuel.  Shafted from every angle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daggers said:

No one said illegal migrants, plenty of legal ones too.  I am not saying this is a genuine large scale issue, just that for individuals it is not very helpful to tell them their personal experience is wrong, or mock them on social media.

11 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Exactly we pay enough tax to have everything working properly and efficiently.

I'm don't think there's enough money for most people to pay more tax. 

I pay c.47k income tax and NI

Then there's Vat on things you buy

Council tax

Then we're being gouged on energy, food, water, fuel.  Shafted from every angle.

Possibly, however things like increasing the scope of the NHS to cover new and expensive drugs etc. doesn't come for free, not does an aging population, increasing the defence budget so we are not all saluting Putin / Putin jnr in years to come etc.

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

No one said illegal migrants, plenty of legal ones too.  I am not saying this is a genuine large scale issue, just that for individuals it is not very helpful to tell them their personal experience is wrong, or mock them on social media.

... it might not be immediately helpful for them, but it might be useful for them to note that their experiences aren't the experiences of everyone else, and so perhaps shouldn't be treated as gospel and/or factored into policymaking each time.

Perspective beyond one's line of sight is important and more people should really grasp that.

11 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Possibly, however things like increasing the scope of the NHS to cover new and expensive drugs etc. doesn't come for free, not does an aging population, increasing the defence budget so we are not all saluting Putin / Putin jnr in years to come etc.

IMO there's not a legit outcome where that happens unless all of NATO suddenly decide they're not going to use their nuclear weapons when the situation calls for them to do so.

Conventional military increase on what the UK has now doesn't make much sense - who are the UK going to fight now that they couldn't beat with what currently exists and don't have WMDs with which to respond?

Edited by leicsmac

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... it might not be immediately helpful for them, but it might be useful for them to note that their experiences aren't the experiences of everyone else, and so perhaps shouldn't be treated as gospel and/or factored into policymaking each time.

Perspective beyond one's line of sight is important and more people should really grasp that.

IMO there's not a legit outcome where that happens unless all of NATO suddenly decide they're not going to use their nuclear weapons when the situation calls for them to do so.

Conventional military increase on what the UK has now doesn't make much sense - who are the UK going to fight now that they couldn't beat with what currently exists and don't have WMDs with which to respond?

I doubt the funding goes on many more bodies, more likely more technology and equipment to fight off cheap warfare like drones etc. And sadly I think their will be plenty of fighting going on all over the world.  Isn't this one of your convictions re Climate change?

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I do think the polls are an exaggeration. Labour will of course win comfortably; however I doubt by as much as the polls say.  Labour voters will stay at home as they think it is in the bag, and a lot of people are saying they won't vote conservative beasue why admit to it and get a load of shit.  When it comes down to it the worry of a long-term Labour Government will push them to vote Tory.

Because life was so shit between 1997 and 2010, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Not accurate,  true of asylum seekers,  but the vast majority of migrants to this country are coming here to work and since Brexit must have a job before they can get a visa.  A recent poll though did indicate that nearly half of us believe asylum seekers make up the majority of immigrants,  when the truth is they are around 15-20% of the total.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You think that EVERY job he’s gone for over THREE YEARS, he’s lost out to legal migrants (brown skinned folk who are legally entitled to work)?

You are actually saying that employers should discriminate against brown skinned folk in order to prioritise ex-criminals?

I’m not sure you’ve thought through this plan, have you ever sat on the board of the Foxes’ Trust?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I doubt the funding goes on many more bodies, more likely more technology and equipment to fight off cheap warfare like drones etc. And sadly I think their will be plenty of fighting going on all over the world.  Isn't this one of your convictions re Climate change?

Adaptation and maintenance are fine, I just don't see the point of additional buildup.

And yes, there will be a shed load of fighting over diminishing resources of things play out the way they are projected to re Climate change, so it might - just maybe - be a good idea to take the necessary steps to make sure that doesn't happen, rather than simply assuming that it will and the deaths of a great many people are an inevitability?

NB. Feel free to check back in the CC thread in your own time if you have anything to add.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Not accurate,  true of asylum seekers,  but the vast majority of migrants to this country are coming here to work and since Brexit must have a job before they can get a visa.  A recent poll though did indicate that nearly half of us believe asylum seekers make up the majority of immigrants,  when the truth is they are around 15-20% of the total.

£38,700 Minimum wage in order to gain a work visa.

These are not the migrants Jon was referring to.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daggers said:

…aaaand then it transpires he wasn’t done for assault, he’s a sex case.

But yes Jon, sure employers should prioritise a white nonce over a legal migrant 😂

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/13930528.jason-oldacre-45-repeatedly-molested-girl-7-swindon-court-hears/

IMG_7696.jpeg

Since the EDL fell from favour these lads just don't have a political home, bless them

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

I bet there’s more. 

:whistle:

16 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cd119p9een9t

Rotten to the core 

I will now be referring myself to the Gambling Commission. 

I am sorry to everyone who feels let down by my actions in virtually gambling on more Tories being as bent as a nine bob note. 

How has Sunak not booted them from the party? Has he learnt absolutely nothing from the last 14 years when they dithered over acting on party members’ transgressions? 😂

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

How has Sunak not booted them from the party? Has he learnt absolutely nothing from the last 14 years when they dithered over acting on party members’ transgressions? 😂

This a rhetorical question? 

• Like 1