Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Jesus Christ. :frusty:

:yesyes:

So what's a person looking to advocate for the future through science to do, other than hope like hell viewpoints like that don't form enough of a bloc to set policy?

When you have enough people that simply won't buy into the idea of derived truth at the most fundamental level, then you have a whole lot of problems.

Just like to say.

I'm currently still delivering a lot of election material at the moment (along with the post, I'm not a canvasser!), yet when I empty the pillar boxes later there's already hundreds of postal votes in there lol

The question that needs to be answered re Farage and his ilk is ...why do they appeal to the "ordinary bloke"?

One starting reason is the tories and labour have made life worse for so many "ordinary blokes"... 40 years of neo liberalism has put profit before people and susequently made ordinaries feel (actually) they have it worse than their parents.

People have been trained by media to blame "others"rather than corporations.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/climate-change-heat-related-deaths-lancet-report/

Have a look at what their readership think of empirical scientific evidence published in the most prestigious scientific journals in the comments of this one.

You really cannot judge Telegraph readers by the comments.  Or anything else.

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

now, not saying that Starmer is doing that, it's likely just pandering to the world's most ridiculous billionaire/professional twitter troll/part time children's writer (currently endorsing the  communist party of great Britain because they're a bunch of Stalinists who think that being LGBT is borgiouse decadence) but it's gonna embolden a lot of the worst people.

Lets not.

Edited by Jon the Hat

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

Tomorrow’s Daily Record

IMG_7087.jpeg

On a complete non political view, that font colour and use of colour is awful on the text. Shame on you Daily Record. That is horrid to read. 

Now back to the politics 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

On a complete non political view, that font colour and use of colour is awful on the text. Shame on you Daily Record. That is horrid to read. 

Now back to the politics 

Agreed...I initially thought it was intentional in highlighting some things...but it gets lost in the last lines

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

The question that needs to be answered re Farage and his ilk is ...why do they appeal to the "ordinary bloke"?

One starting reason is the tories and labour have made life worse for so many "ordinary blokes"... 40 years of neo liberalism has put profit before people and susequently made ordinaries feel (actually) they have it worse than their parents.

People have been trained by media to blame "others"rather than corporations.

Oh yippee, more false equivalence. Just what this thread needed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

What exactly is this "gender ideology" that is supposedly being taught in schools? 

I'm not convinced there is an ideology, transgender people just exist. Just sounds like more right-wing conspiracy theory to me. 

It’s just a sound bite to appeal to some on the right of centre socially. He knows to win new votes, to win elections here, you can’t just pacify people that are easy to agree with on the centre/left of centre, but attract those you may not agree with. 

What he is saying makes no sense if you examine it, but it doesn’t need to, just needs to push the buttons of the people it’s aiming at (ie not me or you). 

2 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

It’s just a sound bite to appeal to some on the right of centre socially. He knows to win new votes, to win elections here, you can’t just pacify people that are easy to agree with on the centre/left of centre, but attract those you may not agree with. 

What he is saying makes no sense if you examine it, but it doesn’t need to, just needs to push the buttons of the people it’s aiming at (ie not me or you). 

Oh I think it probably backfires and pisses off all the right (left) people :)

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I thought it was general knowledge only nutters comments on stories on the internet. 

One would think so, but these days a party that has a policy position on the matter that directly reflects those nutters opinions is polling almost neck and neck with the Tories. So I'm no longer sure there.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

One would think so, but these days a party that has a policy position on the matter that directly reflects those nutters opinions is polling almost neck and neck with the Tories. So I'm no longer sure there.

Suddenly FPTP feels like a bloody brilliant electoral system.

51 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh yippee, more false equivalence. Just what this thread needed.

One starting reason is ..."

A report compiled by economists at the Resolution Foundation has laid out the extent to which Britain’s millennial generation (defined here as people born between 1980 and 2000) are worse off than previous cohorts were at the same stage of life. 

https://moneyweek.com/economy/uk-economy/uk-millennials-are-worse-off-than-previous-generations#:~:text=That is ultimately a political,the same stage of life.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I thought it was general knowledge only nutters comments on stories on the internet. 

If anyone ever wants to interact with the very worst people to have ever been born, may I direct you to the comments section on virtually any story on the Leicester Mercury website 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If anyone ever wants to interact with the very worst people to have ever been born, may I direct you to the comments section on virtually any story on the Leicester Mercury website 

There's a reason that a highlight of Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish was the found poem. 

I've just been unfortunate enough to read Jeremy Clarkson on why not to vote Labour. He might as well have just written 'I'm a totally arrogant, obnoxious ignorant c**t', and the comments section rather backs that opinion up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Now back to the politics 

It’s a play on the Tory attack ad on Blair - oddly, one the Advertising Standards Authority told the Tories never to run again because it showed Blair in a ‘dishonest and sinister way’.

IMG_7095.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

In future they should make campaigns a fortnight, not a month. I’ve loved it but I’m bored now and just want election night champagne. 

Nah man, another day, another nail in the Tory coffin. Keep it coming. I'm bottling this shit so I can inject it directly into my arteries on July 5th. Euphoric.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Nah man, another day, another nail in the Tory coffin. Keep it coming. I'm bottling this shit so I can inject it directly into my arteries on July 5th. Euphoric.

BetGate is like Partygate though, it’s having so little immediate impact and I find that deeply frustrating. 

It’s like watching a film and the creepy music starts and they split up to slowly look around the house. Stop, stay together, turn the fvcking lights on - or sack everyone, in the Tories’ case. 

How the hell a copper can be suspended but a Tory candidate who has owned up to it remains on the ticket is just all kinds of arghhhhhhh.