Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Election prediction time

I think people need to go back and watch Starmer's first conference speech which was made in a small room during lockdown.

I think he wants to be a radical PM. He's been pretty consistent on his values and what he wants to achieve. The details and timescales have had to change purely because the Tories have been in full on destruction mode, quite literally trashing the country just to make things even harder for Labour and give themselves a chance of getting back in. I'm not saying he's perfect or a saviour or whatever.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

But that is the problem isnt it. There is no one who stands out as extrodinary or at least no one who is of the neccessary experience to make that step up (they may be in a few years). 

What was it ? 14 years ago ? the last election. Both parties put up leadership candidates who quite frankly should not have been anywhere near the leadership team. Johnson is Johnson and Corbyn while his politics is needed to keep the centre left of the labour party honest, it certainly shouldnt be leading the party. What we got were a bunch of mediocre (I am being kind) shouty and frankly uninspring idiots. Obviously there are a few exceptions on both sides but the majority are what they are. You see that in both cabinet and shadow cabinet appointments. Those choices by both parties are impacting the quality of politics and will do for a few more years. 

The further problem we have is after Sunak gets his hammering, the tory party might make a further stupid decision and electing Bravermen or someone of her ilk as leader. 

We have always had issues with medicore politicians but over the years, whether you agree with them or not, we've had some really good talent. If that sort of talent was available now, for both parties. Neither of these two candidates are anywhere near the leadership. 

Right, that's a good summation of the issue (I would add that Reform may push the Tories further right or even take their place as an additional risk).

So I ask again: what is to be done? I honestly don't know.

5 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

image.png.e440f47cd69c87fb0f6336f6b5a958cd.png

If we don't sort our environment out pretty quickly, in a few generations time were all gonna be pretty ****ed!

2024 Manifesto: Downloads - Green Party

The greens at least treat the single biggest problem facing the future with the seriousness it deserves.

Hopefully they will get a few MPs that can then keep the bigger fish moving on this most important matter.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

Thought that question was rude, weird and a waste of time to be honest. What was he referring to when talking about Starmer having his "strings pulled by senior people in the Labour Party"?

Sunak is a useless Prime Minister but had a successful private sector career before entering politics. Starmer entered politics in his 50s after about as stellar a career in public service as it's possible to imagine. That's exactly the kind of outside politics experience many people say they want from their politicians.

It was quite telling that in the spin room thing afterwards, he said he was concerned about inheritance tax. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Really wish the lib dems were a viable vote 

Same here, in my constituency its gonna take a massive turnaround to get the Tory out...

image.thumb.png.6cbaa4f3ba6f15f28c43c1baf84d4896.png

46 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The trouble is and with a week to go we all know things won't get any better despite who is in No. 10.

Labour will inherit the worst everything on record, they’ll need time to course correct.

Just getting these evil bastards out is a good start. Pushing the ***** into 3rd place would be the best possible scenario. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think people need to go back and watch Starmer's first conference speech which was made in a small room during lockdown.

I think he wants to be a radical PM. He's been pretty consistent on his values and what he wants to achieve. The details and timescales have had to change purely because the Tories have been in full on destruction mode, quite literally trashing the country just to make things even harder for Labour and give themselves a chance of getting back in. I'm not saying he's perfect or a saviour or whatever.

When Starmer first came in I was hopeful as he seemed like a centre left politician more in line with Milliband than Blair, but seems to have become the most right wing Labour leader ever.

I do hope it’s just to get elected and he can make the country a friendlier place and less driven by constant rhetoric of division against immigrants, people on welfare and younger people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sampson said:

do hope it’s just to get elected and he can make the country a friendlier place and less driven by constant rhetoric of division against immigrants, people on welfare and younger people

His comments about Bangladeshi people seems to have ruffle feathers that didn't need to be disturbed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

When Starmer first came in I was hopeful as he seemed like a centre left politician more in line with Milliband than Blair, but seems to have become the most right wing Labour leader ever.

I do hope it’s just to get elected and he can make the country a friendlier place and less driven by constant rhetoric of division against immigrants, people on welfare and younger people.

https://thecritic.co.uk/keir-more-than-just-a-lucky-general/

IMG_7143.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

The trouble is and with a week to go we all know things won't get any better despite who is in No. 10.

One of the main Labour policies is to cut waiting times in the NHS, and they specify how they're going to do it.

If they do manage this one thing, then we can say at least one important thing has got better.

You're right in that there is a limit in what they can achieve, given what they will inherit. 

Labour pledges to clear backlog of patients waiting over 18 weeks for treatment within five years | Politics News | Sky News

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

Just when you thought they couldn't possibly sink any lower

There is no depth they won’t plumb, and the so-called good Tories stand by and watch. My book, they’re equally complicit because of their silence. 

People need to remember that the next time anyone is rude and calls them all scum. 

• Like 3

Someone has taken the odd approach of using child labour to hold up signs at the watermead/sainsburys junction. I would say who, but the sign was so shite I couldn't even read the name.

Good luck in the election though I guess.

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I don't mean to single you out but you keep repeating this and I really don't understand it. Many feel quite apathetic about politics in this country at the moment of that I am sure, but half the reason for that is that the Tories have been a complete and utter shambles. This apathy and cynicism is absolutely, in no small part down to the way the Tories have governed and it's what they bloody want. 

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

I find it almost incomprehensible that they've sent this out. It's disgusting that they think that is appropriate.

• Like 1