Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Carlos Corberán

He seems a decent option. Tactically astute and yet adaptable too. Not a bad combination.

My only question is "is he lucky?"  He doesn't seem to have actually won much?

Oh, and is he friends with El Flufferesca (Balague)?

8 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Not convinced he has the pedigree. If I'm honest. I feel like we should be aiming higher.

He is well regarded and on an upward trajectory. There is definitely a risk without the experience but i also think there are risks taking people on who have been at bigger clubs and are just hoping to have jobs.

Not sure i buy into him out 'foxing' us though, but did well with little resources at West Brom. Felt his display in the play offs was really poor though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know what you're saying, there's a question mark in that regard. It's why it's more tempting to go for a manager even more unknown or unproven as they " could " be out of the box successful.

The thing is, those managers usually need a club that they don't have to massively overachieve to do well (see Enzo) vs a Corberan who's taken a bang average Huddersfield to being robbed of a place in the Premier League and then worked with zero money at West Brom and got them in to the play offs.

I like him, I think he's got something about him that blends a tactical mind with a strong degree of flexibility that gets the best out of the group of players he has. He's more versatile and he also seems to be a great man manager.

If he's the pick then I'm content. He's a 7.5/10 pick.

Ha that last part makes me laugh but I agree with it! You could get a better appointment but I think he’s a solid choice that could be exciting. 

You have to put snobbery aside. West Brom are skint, and yet he got them into the playoffs he also did a cracking job at Huddersfield. 

What I like about him, is he’s obviously very happy to work with what he has, and clearly can maximise the potential from what he has. What we need is a manager who wants to be here and is willing to carry on regardless of the off field antics..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I know what you're saying, there's a question mark in that regard. It's why it's more tempting to go for a manager even more unknown or unproven as they " could " be out of the box successful.

The thing is, those managers usually need a club that they don't have to massively overachieve to do well (see Enzo) vs a Corberan who's taken a bang average Huddersfield to being robbed of a place in the Premier League and then worked with zero money at West Brom and got them in to the play offs.

I like him, I think he's got something about him that blends a tactical mind with a strong degree of flexibility that gets the best out of the group of players he has. He's more versatile and he also seems to be a great man manager.

If he's the pick then I'm content. He's a 7.5/10 pick.

I'd be pretty happy with him. Like you say, worked with a bang average Huddersfield and cashless WBA and done well. We'll be a bang average and cashless Leicester, so hoping he can do both at the same time.

Get him on the phone to Celtic and bring Johnston with him too, had a great half a season under him 

Posted (edited)

I didn’t realise that although not directly like Enzo, Corberan is very much also a “follower” of Guardiola

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/3732540/2022/10/27/carlos-corberan-west-brom-coach/

Two years later, Villarreal finished as runners-up in La Liga, one place ahead of Barcelona and Pep Guardiola, a coach whom Corberan admired above all others. He’d been particularly impressed by how Guardiola’s revolutionary methods at Camp Nou were subsequently adopted by the Spanish national team in their quest to dominate international football.

Such was the high esteem in which Corberan held the former midfielder — he also closely studied the methods of Juanma Lillo, who was, until earlier this year, Guardiola’s assistant at the Eithad Stadium and previously the Catalan’s manager when Guardiola was still a player in Mexico with Dorados de Sinaloa — that he eventually moved to Saudi Arabia in 2012 to continue that education.

“Always, Guardiola was talking about Lillo,” Corberan explained in a wide-ranging interview earlier this year with The Athleticabout his journey to Huddersfield. “Back when I started studying him, 15 to 20 years ago, Lillo was coach at a second-division club in Spain called Terrassa.

“Where everyone else was talking about defensive organisation, they were talking about offensive organisation. So, as others spoke about being compact, Lillo, and those like Guardiola who followed him, were talking about attack.

“At the time, I was doing my doctorate in football. My final project was to study the philosophy of Lillo. I followed his training. Later, I started to have contact with him. 

“I also started to have high connections with his assistant (Raul Caneda), too. After he had the opportunity to go to Saudi Arabia, I went as his assistant. I moved to learn more about Lillo’s ideas and thinking.”

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Not convinced he has the pedigree. If I'm honest. I feel like we should be aiming higher.

And Enzo does

Corberan has been a manager for around 7 or 8 Years 

Enzo half of that, also with a sabbatical in the middle of it as a year as Pep's No2. 

The only slight edge is Enzo being "around" the premiership at Man City.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

And Enzo does

Corberan has been a manager for around 7 or 8 Years 

Enzo half of that, also with a sabbatical in the middle of it as a year as Pep's No2. 

The only slight edge is Enzo being "around" the premiership at Man City.

We're in a different league now.

PS You've decided to compare him to Enzo - I didn't. I was judging Corberan on his own merits. I just think we can probably do a bit better than him.

Still, if it is to be him, I'll back him 100%

Posted (edited)

Carlos wouldn't be my first choice over Fischer or Moyes, but something about his approach appeals to me and if he got the job, I'd give him a free hit on relegation providing he's sensible with signings and makes us somewhat competitive. 
I actually think with a system that plays to our strengths, we do have a foundation of a team that could stay up if he gets the best out of them. 
We definitely need improvements, Vardy may leave and Ndidi needs to be on top form. But with 5-6 relatively cheap players and maybe 3-4 bench players, funded by KDH and a couple of out of contracts, alongside giving some younger players a chance, I think this foundation could be moulded into a system that could keep us up. 
We just NEED someone who is not wedded to a system and is willing to compromise the style to suit the team. 

Kristiansen overlapping Mavididi and Ricardo overlapping Fatawu could be a very strong start. 

image.png.54219d1221fe987ed578623bdffccb6f.png

Edited by cityfanlee23

31 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=27368.2900

I thin the best way to judge a player or manager is to listen to the fans themselves. Pretty telling that they call him "King Carlos"...

The comments that strike me are the ones regarding a “Limited Squad”. 

A limited squad at Huddersfield, got them into the playoffs, now the same again at West Brom. 

Who knows what we’ll be able to do in the transfer market, but we do expect some sort of limitations, Corberan has a proven track record of working with limitations. 

West Brom though now have new ownership, would he be willing to jump ship from a more stable looking West Brom, to a Leicester City team that will be riddled with adverse difficulties 🤔

• Like 1

Would be great to get a Spanish Manager in, then take the three highly wanted Spanish free agents:

Winger - Alex Berenguer 

Left Center Back - Mario Hermoso

Left Back - Juan Miranda

that would certainly go a long way to solving our issues

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

Would be great to get a Spanish Manager in, then take the three highly wanted Spanish free agents:

Winger - Alex Berenguer 

Left Center Back - Mario Hermoso

Left Back - Juan Miranda

that would certainly go a long way to solving our issues

3 very good signings, but regarding LB we do have Kristiansen on the books, had a great season at Bologna and would have learned a LOT from Thiago Motta's tactics (they are well worth a watch on youtube)
They finished 5th in the Serie A and he played 32 games, could very well be a player who comes back and flourishes under the right manager and would save us some cash, or we could easily cash in after the season he has had!

• Like 1

I think if a manager in the Championship has the opportunity to land a job in the Premier League, then he takes it, despite the off-field 'challenges'. 

That's not arrogance, that's just the way it is imho. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, kingfox said:

The comments that strike me are the ones regarding a “Limited Squad”. 

A limited squad at Huddersfield, got them into the playoffs, now the same again at West Brom. 

Who knows what we’ll be able to do in the transfer market, but we do expect some sort of limitations, Corberan has a proven track record of working with limitations. 

West Brom though now have new ownership, would he be willing to jump ship from a more stable looking West Brom, to a Leicester City team that will be riddled with adverse difficulties 🤔

The Leicester job is still a massive one. You walk into that training centre and you are saying yes! Owners have been there for over a decade, have won trophies in the past, ambitious and have a great squad.

I assume that anyone that comes in will want a minimum 2-3 year deal and assurances that if we are relegated, they are kept on to spearhead the promotion charge if neccessary. You are definitely dealt a starting bad hand, but you get to manage in the Premier League immediately and if you keep the club up, you are an instant hero.

I think the new owners do want to keep Corberan, but the fact is he has no previous relationship with them. And few if any clubs in the country can match our academy. Outside of the elite clubs, in terms of infrastucture, ours are some of the best.

Don't get me wrong though, the worst thing that could happen is that manager after manager turns us down. That would really make us feel bad.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Demands every ounce out of everyone on and off the field, has high standards, un-relenting, lives and breathes the game, will look over every small detail, even down to the font and text size on a training report. I don't know if he's who I would want, but I reckon he could be who we, as a club, need.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

What I like about him, is he’s obviously very happy to work with what he has, and clearly can maximise the potential from what he has. What we need is a manager who wants to be here and is willing to carry on regardless of the off field antics..

We don’t have much at the moment - we will certainly need to get players in - so is this necessarily a good thing for our situation?