Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Stringer Court unfair dismissal case vs BBC ends

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

It does make you wonder how he will now make a living. It's not as if he's a trained broadcast journalist. He blagged it. 

I think he does hosting work as well

Edited by Tuna

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Interested to see who would come off worse in a crap-off between Garth Crooks and Michael Owen, who came across as being as thick as week old porridge and wasn't too good at describing the game, either.

I think Owen knows he’s thick and try’s to be non thick. Garth has been thick for years and struggles even to conger up cliches - both tough are as thick as pigshite and if they can make a living out of punditary it shows that literally any fucher can 

Not a go at Lineker at all. But does seem massively unfair a multi millionaire can have several commercial relations and be face of a private company; whilst working for the BBC. Yet a relatively small time journo gets the boot for much smaller arrangements.

I understand it’s contractually the case, but does feel very unfair to me as a lay person

On 25/05/2024 at 18:04, Tommy G said:

So it was a bit more than receiving a garmin watch and a pair of trainers for his marathon runs. Shock horror 

Yeah I'm not his biggest fan but originally thought he was hard done by for a tweet.

Now seeing the amount of times he did it and obviously thought he would get away with it, I don't have any sympathy for him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eblair said:

Not a go at Lineker at all. But does seem massively unfair a multi millionaire can have several commercial relations and be face of a private company; whilst working for the BBC. Yet a relatively small time journo gets the boot for much smaller arrangements.

I understand it’s contractually the case, but does feel very unfair to me as a lay person

Lineker is not a BBC employee but works for them as a freelancer and will be subject to different rules.  In any case Stringer was dismissed for not declaring the gift of a car, not for simply receiving such a gift.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Robo61 said:

Lineker is not a BBC employee but works for them as a freelancer and will be subject to different rules.  In any case Stringer was dismissed for not declaring the gift of a car, not for simply receiving such a gift.

I get that but Lineker is best paid person at the beeb. He can get jobs with walkers partially through his role at the bbc

The not declaring stuff is daft from Stringer

Edited by eblair

6 hours ago, eblair said:

I get that but Lineker is best paid person at the beeb. He can get jobs with walkers partially through his role at the bbc

There are many others who do work for the BBC and have commercial relationships with other organisations, so would you ban them all?  If so how would you ensure that you could still attract talent to the BBC.

Exclusive: A major newspaper investigations team has discovered that a member of a popular Leicester City podcast has been receiving additional napkins from a McDonalds drive thru and has been failing to declare the complimentary Anusol cream he receives from an online pharmacy. 

Yet again, our summer is about to be rocked by shocking revelations. I think Flair has let us all down. 

• Haha 4

On 29/05/2024 at 10:59, eblair said:

Gary’s been working with Walkers longer than the beeb

On 25/05/2024 at 05:06, Jon the Hat said:

He isn't the first and won't be the last to fall foul of disclosure rules from his employer.  He might quite reasonably argue his profile came not just from being on the BBC, and that he had the right to work on promotional activities, however I guess BBC guidelines are no doubt very clear on the fact that you need to tell them about these activities.  Most employers require you to disclose other work which might impinge on your ability to carry out your job to the best of your abilities.

Still I am glad Ian is doing well at talksport and hope he can put this behind him.

It wasn’t just about disclosure, he was asked not to use the BBC whilst asking for freebies. Yet he used his official BBC email address and mentions of the BBC.

Staff are given training to avoid these type “incidents” happening.

“During his tenure, he was invited to take part in training schemes which reinforced these rules but the tribunal said he 'did not appear to have taken training particularly seriously”

Employment Judge Kimbra Welch said he had previously said when completing training models you have to 'just click through and get it done' to 'get management off his back'.

I guess he should’ve taken them a little more seriously.