Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Cup to Introduce Seeding

Posted (edited)

This link offers a better explanation.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5526749/2024/05/29/carabao-cup-seeding-champions-league/

So its not the entire EPL, and its apparently to prevent CL clubs having to play Europa clubs early on but not preventing CL vs CL and not preventing Europa vs Europa.

Regardless I am still very against this move as its manipulation of the draw to help these clubs, they have big enough squads to deal with it.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 3

I have a suggestion.

Why don’t the big six clubs just all have a bye into the Quarter Finals. Then two other clubs could come in each year by invitation only. Every other club could just do one! 

Oh hang on … I think this sounds a bit too familiar… perhaps someone has already thought of it. 

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Another carve up to suit the bigger clubs

this cup is all about self harm. 

This is just so the clubs can play their reserves comfortably until the final. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

this cup is all about self harm. 

This is just so the clubs can play their reserves comfortably until the final. 

Yes trouble is everyone does then the big teams win out as theirs is the strongest.

3 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

I'm sick of this narrative. They have to graft and work for everything just as much as we do. Name me one time they actually got their own way?

Me too, every single piece of news comes with this. The "big 6" need 8 other club's votes to change anything just in the Prem.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5526749/2024/05/29/carabao-cup-seeding-champions-league/

So its not the entire EPL, and its apparently to prevent CL clubs having to play Europa clubs early on but not preventing CL vs CL and not preventing Europa vs Europa.

Regardless I am still very against this move as its manipulation of the draw to help these clubs, they have big enough squads to deal with it.

So basically it's because Round 3 has now been spread over 2 weeks which doesn't help.

Another problem has been created which wasn't there.

I presume the idea is they will get a nice easy home tie and don't have to risk anyone.

Edited by Super_horns

I do get the logical behind it tbf. 

4 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

“Alleviate fixture congestion” but premier league clubs fly to Australia a few hours after playing their last league game of the season. 

Also, ironic how they moan about fixture congestion because of the domestic cups, but not about an expanded CL competition... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Of course make sure the semi's as 4 of top six in it. They may as well hand pick the draws.

Chelsea home to Barrow

Arsenal home to Harrogate

Liverpool home to Salford City

Man City home to Doncaster

2025! breaking news! league cup scrapped! instead the Premier League Cup! Featuring just six clubs.... guess who.

Edited by Leicesterpool

5 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Me too, every single piece of news comes with this. The "big 6" need 8 other club's votes to change anything just in the Prem.

Not saying it directly about this rule, but that extra 8+ teams haven't proved to be any better when they've voted against things like better payments to the pyramid. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Stadt said:

The best thing about the league cup is it’s a better chance for the ‘lesser’ sides to win something compared to the FA Cup. Further preventing that is toss 

I think that is true, or maybe at least it used to be, but if you look at the last 20 years or so, the "lesser" sides have had virtually no success in the League Cup. Aside from Swansea in 2013 and Birmingham (2011), and a few plucky finalists, it has been dominated by the big clubs in recent years, with or without any seeding.

image.png.31fd4374c798fe805ab680598af3c87a.png

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 2

Common sense rule #1: lf the EPL or FA change a rule it is solely for the best interests of the greedy 6.

Common sense rule #2 : if FIFA or UEFA change a rule it is solely for the best interests of lining their own (individuals) pockets

In short: money.

Expect the worst of motives from these criminals and you will be correct 99% of the time, the 1% remaining is stupidity.

21 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

“Alleviate fixture congestion” but premier league clubs fly to Australia a few hours after playing their last league game of the season. 

when moaning about fixture congestion, no of games played etc, they seem to forget that the other divisions have more teams in them. 

CL/EL teams: - 38 league + 6 group = 44 games 

Championship:- 46 league games

So championship sides play 2 more games before FA/league cups unless they progress to a European semi. We got the QF and Cov the SF of the fa cup so their argument really does not hold water