Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Maresca agrees to join Chelsea

Just now, Foxes1 said:

Isn't it time to promote someone from within the club like the DOF to become our new manager. 😄

Save pay off when we sack him at half time in the first game.

Will probably take useless Board until Christmas to think about getting a new manager, by which time Enzo will be available again.

59 minutes ago, westernpark said:

He’s done a good job but I’m apathetic at best about him leaving. Good luck to him though. Was refreshing to hear him speak about the hierarchy without his nose up their…

I can’t remember ever being this non-plussed about a manager leaving. I’m usually really sad or angrily relieved - this? Nothing. Just sadness that the catalyst for change in management style has gone and left them all in their jobs. 

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Mark said:

He hated the Southampton game.

And the west brom one which were both good performances for different reasons. I really don't see him as a great loss.

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I can’t remember ever being this non-plussed about a manager leaving. I’m usually really sad or angrily relieved - this? Nothing. Just sadness that the catalyst for change in management style has gone and left them all in their jobs. 

Was reading stuff from Burnley fans and they felt the same regarding Kompany. And Bayern Munich have literally hired a manager who was so far down their list, they tried to rehire the guy they sacked first. I think the style is certainly not to help(except for the manager’s themselves)but like you say it’s a nothingness of nothing feeling, it’s what modern football has created.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

And you know what? Totally apathetic towards it. 

Even with Megson leaving for Bolton after about 10 minutes, I was like “what a twat”

This? Just don’t really care either way.

Cheers Enzo. Now get on with it, Citeh.

When Megson went I couldn’t believe our luck, and I feel slightly the same again.

Thanks for promotion but we were never progressing with that style against the rest of the world which is what the prem is I suppose, the good old championship is the best of Britain. 
One day pep will play 442 with quality and it’ll be flavour of the month again!

• Like 1

Anyone old enough to remember when Brian Little left for Villa? We had just been promoted and things were looking up. There was a bit of a buzz around the place, then Little left and I was furious, I was upset, angry and it’s only recently I’ve made peace and can look back and think what a great manager for the club he was.

With Enzo, it’s weird, I don’t feel anything. It’s just a thanks for getting us up and good luck in the future mate. Who’s ip next?

Now I don’t know if this is age, being so far away from the club, or just never fully taking to Enzo - I appreciate him, and think he’s done well, but never fully bought into Enzoball.

Anyway good luck to him and here’s to starting the search for the new messiah!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One of those rare moves that could be beneficial for all parties. FWIW I think Enzo might do okay at Chelsea. Some of the attacking patterns he introduced could be devastating with their attacking talent, particularly their wingers. However, much more importantly we won't now be sticking to a system which would almost certainly see us picked off every single week, Burnley-style. We also get the £10m compo and hopefully someone who IS actually happy to work with rrestrictions. I also won't miss the way he used Balague as his mouthpiece - thought that was absolutely pathetic. I lost a lot of respect for both men there.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I was angry when McGhee and Little went, I was upset when O'Neill and Pearson went. I feel absolutely nothing at all about him leaving; he should be applauded for getting us promoted and back on track so quickly. Despite us spending money, it doesn't always go that way. But I just couldn't warm to the football; I'm tired of passing football when so often nobody actually moves for the ball, and all you do is recycle, recycle, recycle. It might be more attractive with better players, and he might succeed with Chelsea with better players... but that's the issue: if you don't have the players, at least accept you need to be a bit more pragmatic until you have them. 

Thanks and goodbye. 

I should have read this before I made my post, it’s exactly how I feel about the whole situation.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

He hated the Southampton game.

You know what.. that's probably right. I remember the away game he moaned that it was messy.. even though it was as exciting as we'd seen under him

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned but I always thought part of being a manager was leading a team to the most success with what you have at your disposal.

All this crying about players not suiting a style and not being able to adapt just says bad manager to me. I think even Arteta relented (a bit) at times at Arsenal before he could adjust the squad to a bit more of what he wanted.

Maresca did what we needed here but you can’t help but feel he could have done, strangely, a little better. Which is mad to say considering we won the league. I expect Chelsea will be ok for him, inherits a more talented squad for sure but I doubt it will be easy for him.

Lets just see who we get next and hope we can do enough to stay up next year, however tough that is going to be.

He achieved what we needed him to which was really important given the circumstances so I'm very thankful for his input especially given the mess that Rodgers left behind. It was a big job and he's certainly left us in a far better place. 

That said I'm rather indifferent to his departure. Being objective, he probably had the best squad in the league so finished on par, and if you wanted to be critical you could argue that he only finished 1 point ahead of a newly promoted side whose squad was filled with journeymen and loan players. 

I'll be interested to see how he gets on at Chelsea. There's really no excuses for not succeeding. They have a very deep squad and lots of players who should do well in his system. From what I've seen I'm not convinced he's the next Pep so think Chelsea may be a bit disappointed. The style is similar but Pep's a master of knowing when to evolve and change things up.

For me he's like the kid in class who copies the other kids homework. Knows 'how' to implement something but doesn't understand the 'why'. I'd fancy Pep to come out on top in every head to head.

I guess the question for the Chelsea board is what are their expectations? If it's to continuously qualify for the CL and reap the financial benefits of that then I think he'll do OK, as he has enough knowledge and resource to finish above 16 other managers. If the expectation is to win the league he'll fall short in my opinion. 

One of his biggest flaws is his stubbornness and lack of EQ when challenged. If he's to rise to the very top he'll need to be more open to change and not stick the boot in the second someone questions his methods. If he doesn't change that side of his character and hits a rocky spell he won't last long at Chelsea. 

I genuinely hope he proves me wrong and as mentioned I'm thankful for his achievements here. I wish him all the very best for the future and have no ill feelings towards him. 

Finally, I hope that his departure signals the end of Balague's association with the club and he can go and bore the Chelsea faithful with his weekly Enzo drivel. 

22 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Anyone old enough to remember when Brian Little left for Villa? We had just been promoted and things were looking up. There was a bit of a buzz around the place, then Little left and I was furious, I was upset, angry and it’s only recently I’ve made peace and can look back and think what a great manager for the club he was.

With Enzo, it’s weird, I don’t feel anything. It’s just a thanks for getting us up and good luck in the future mate. Who’s ip next?

Now I don’t know if this is age, being so far away from the club, or just never fully taking to Enzo - I appreciate him, and think he’s done well, but never fully bought into Enzoball.

Anyway good luck to him and here’s to starting the search for the new messiah!

I reckon a good 80% of the fan base regulars too feel this way mate. 

• Like 1

I think we needed one more season of Maresca - to make the transition as smoothly as possible - not unsettling any of our better players who might feel a greater attraction to moving to a 'bigger' club and attracting players to a demonstrably successful club. I dislike Chelsea as a club and I don't want him to succeed there. The fact that they nicked Kanté will always rankle with me, but generally I will always associate them with all the other success at any cost teams...and Abramovitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Any idea how much we would have paid Man City to bring him in? Not sure this is as much of an FFP win we might think it is.

Of course it's an FFP win. What difference does the amount we paid Man City make? We've already paid that whether Enzo goes or stays. Am I missing something?