Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Maresca agrees to join Chelsea

23 hours ago, honeybradger said:

If it works like player transfers then the amount of money we paid city would have been spread across his contract for FFP. Since he's gone we can no longer spread his transfer value across his contract.

So if we paid them 1 mil then we would pay 250k per year over a 4 year contract for the transfer whereas now he's gone we would have the remaining 750k on the books for this year. If we had spent 2 or 3 mil on him then that would offset the transfer value we're getting for him by quite a bit.

Think you're giving our board too much credit to construct a deal like that.

15 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

I think I’m in the majority here when I say I’m very much in two minds about him.

When I think of some of the games last season I think , genius. Aways at Sunderland, Southampton at home, Preston away, Stoke away, Norwich away - some absolutely fantastic performances where he could do no wrong.

Then I think of the turgid home defeats, those games he kept playing Daka for him to miss chances, the defeats at Plymouth and Millwall and I think , stubborn Manager with no plan B, picking his favourites, sticking to a philosophy of pass pass pass even if it doesn’t grant you results. 

For every kick off routine that sometimes enraged me (Winks and whoever pas pass pass pass 2 yards to each other and then back to the centre back WHY??!) im then reminded of the admiration of a sublime move from back to front, ending with a superb team goal (Watford away- everyone involved, Blackburn away- counter attack fast move finished off by a Vardy roof of the net finish). It really is hard to know how good/average Enzo is. 

He saved JJ and Ricardo’s LCFC seasons- never putting them through the pressure of week in week out full back responsibilities whereby we know they would have inevitably been injured. But he equally ruined Tom Cannon’s season- how did that lad not deserve a chance after his impressive run over Christmas when Vardy was out and the others were at AFCON? Would he really have missed all those chances Daka did that could have been so costly?

Enzo may go on to become a huge success as a Manager, but even if he’d stayed with us, I don’t think he would have done so here. Next season feels like we need more pragmatism, more of an attack minded approach to games maybe. He isn’t that guy. Maybe it isn’t a bad thing he’s off; the cash we hope means we don’t have to sell someone like KDH, our heartbeat. 

I hope the board go all out and get Graham Potter now. I feel he’s the one who can keep us up and build us back up again. 

Did you really think that Sunderland away was genius from Enzo?

I thought it was a thoroughly desperately poor performance which could have finished with a penalty to Sunderland and they smacked the bar earlier. 

We did have some very good away performances but Sunderland was awful

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Very well said. I think that probably captures where a lot of us are at. After Millwall and Plymouth defeats, where winning both would have basically sealed promotion (with hindsight), my old man rang me and said he was on the verge of packing it all in - that’s a supporter of over 50 years. It was was shambolic, disgraceful, but I feel would have been the norm this coming season - ie no plan B.

Enzo probably knew it as well, particularly as it also feels like he’s going to claim he was mislead with the state of the finances. BTW that also feels very naive - surely he would have done due diligence and just read the room a little bit. It was always obvious to us we’d be in trouble.

A lot of us here, and the press, have suggested it was Vardy and the players who got us over the line. I’m inclined to agree. So thanks Enzo for the start of last season and up until just after Christmas into the new year. After that we got worked out and it was dog shit for a while.

QPR beat Leeds as well, both them and Plymouth where fighting for Survival.. some people make it sound like all we need to do is turn up or use plan b, football don't work like that.

We also had injuries through that tough period and players who had been playing alot of minutes over 40 odd games and along with a thin squad.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Weller Wing said:

I thought it was a thoroughly desperately poor performance which could have finished with a penalty to Sunderland and they smacked the bar earlier. 

The first 30 mins was some of the best football we played all season. It did go a bit turgid after that you’re right. 

58 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

QPR beat Leeds as well, both them and Plymouth where fighting for Survival.. some people make it sound like all we need to do is turn up or use plan b, football don't work like that.

We also had injuries through that tough period and players who had been playing alot of minutes over 40 odd games and along with a thin squad.

It arguably wasn’t a thin squad though, just Enzo stuck to the same 13 or 14 players no matter what for games on end with the same players on the bench getting no minutes, then wouldn’t bring them in when we were on our bad run ‘as they hadn’t had enough minutes’ - Nelson, Souttar, Doyle, Praet, Yunus, Albrighton, Kel, Cannon, McAteer, Marcal could all have played a good number more minutes than they did even with the injuries many of them had. 

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

The first 30 mins was some of the best football we played all season. It did go a bit turgid after that you’re right. 

Until we scored more like, which I think was about 15 mins. Those 15 mins were an onslaught though.

2 hours ago, Weller Wing said:

Sunderland were better than us in both league games to be fair to them.

Didn’t score a single goal against us and finished bottom half, but I was impressed with them!

11 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Sunderland were better than us in both league games to be fair to them.

Didn’t score a single goal against us and finished bottom half, but I was impressed with them!

Their keeper was outstanding. Would be surprised if he was still there next season.

2 hours ago, Cropwellfox said:

It arguably wasn’t a thin squad though, just Enzo stuck to the same 13 or 14 players no matter what for games on end with the same players on the bench getting no minutes, then wouldn’t bring them in when we were on our bad run ‘as they hadn’t had enough minutes’ - Nelson, Souttar, Doyle, Praet, Yunus, Albrighton, Kel, Cannon, McAteer, Marcal could all have played a good number more minutes than they did even with the injuries many of them had. 

Most of them players either did step in when required or where injured, anyway we won the league so it's irrelevant.

Posted (edited)

Do people not understand the Enzo theory?  Harry Winks and KDH obviously do/did going by their comments in interviews, and I'd suggest they know more about the game than most folk posting on here.  The idea of passing the ball around from kick-off is to draw the opposition out of position, and if it doesn't work straight away, keep doing it until it does work.  If our strikers fail to take advantage of the openings thus created, that's the players failing, not the system. 

Edited by PaulW

6 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Do people not understand the Enzo theory?  Harry Winks and KDH obviously do/did going by their comments in interviews, and I'd suggest they know more about the game than most folk posting on here.  The idea of passing the ball around from kick-off is to draw the opposition out of position, and if it doesn't work straight away, keep doing it until it does work.  If our strikers fail to take advantage of the openings thus created, that's the players failing, not the system. 

But when teams cottoned on and didn’t even attempt to press that doesn’t work. Faes and Vetstagaard walked to the halfway line and did the same just higher up and in more congested areas.

We had plenty of chances to open up teams that played these tactics if the defence played the ball out quickly.  Not long ball but a quick pass to wingers waving their arms unmarked in space. Instead they repeated the same pattern of play over and over getting the same result. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Understood all that in the Championship, there was a reason for it and clearly it worked. FWIW I personally rarely seen it as boring (I guess that's what comes with Maresca following Rodgers though - Couldn't have been any more boring could it) despite many claiming it was, it was far from enthralling but it certainly wasn't boring, not to the extent people seem to claim it was.

Who's going to be coming up against Leicester City needing to be drawn out of position in the Premier League?

Infact, i'll pose the question another way using a perfect example of something that's been and gone, who was coming up against Leicester City under Rodgers in the Premier League needing to be drawn out? But nope, we duly passed the ball round the back, rarely venturing over the half way line, the opposition waiting for a mistake and bang they're in, we literally did more than half the job for the opposition time after time after time.

There is no reason for a team like us to be playing with that theory or ideology in the Premier League.

People seem to think its positive to have the ball, even if you don't progress with it, i'm sorry but certainly what we've seen that's been and gone largely over the past 7 years, it's no more positive than sitting with 11 behind the ball in my eyes. It's negative. It's like a boxer who's bolloxed and just constantly looking to hold.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Why has this not been announced ffs 

He could be now actually having reservations about it, in that his reputation could be affected if he doesn't do well there?..

• Haha 1

Just now, Wymsey said:

He could be now actually having reservations about it, in that his reputation could be affected if he doesn't do well there?..

Not likely 

46 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Why has this not been announced ffs 

Enzo's waiting to see if Real Madrid get beaten tonight as it could be a better opportunity if Ancelotti gets the sack 🤔