Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

7 hours ago, Corky said:

Capello's tournament was terrible, Sven's last was but 2002 we lost to Brazil who won it and 2004 we played some great football and were a badly wrong decision away from a semi-final.

Southgate has gone further but he's not a roaring success whilst others are failures.

English sides have played with fear for years & years now, this tournament looks the same.

Granted, we’ve had the occasional periods of relative success (a final & semi under GS)

l think managing England has become virtually an impossible job, even though Southgate has had 2 decent tournaments, he still divides opinions, although at times he hasn’t helped his cause. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"Spain, Germany, Portugal and France are all on the other side of the draw and England cannot play any of the quartet before the final." 

How does he keep getting away with it lol lol

As someone once said, it's better to be a lucky manager then a good one and Southgate epitomizes that. If he moves back to club management, everyone will get to see how shit he is.

24 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Wouldn't be the first side to stink up the tournament and then go deep, Portugal spring to mind when they won it without winning a game in 90 minutes or something. 

Greece and Denmark too. Particularly Greece (lovely for Zagorakis though)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

This was the proably the worst group in Euros history.

It’s amongst the most boring groups. 

Group 2 1980 - 9 goals
Group 2 1984 - 9 goals
Group C 2016 - 7 goals

Group C 2024 - 7 goals

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

Greece and Denmark too. Particularly Greece (lovely for Zagorakis though)

Greece at least beat the best ever Portugal side (twice), one of the best ever French sides and one of the best ever Czech sides, also drew with Spain.

England wouldn’t have made it out of their group in 2004.

• Like 1

We are hamstrung by having no attacking threat from full back, the 2 wide players being players who prefer it to feet, whilst Kane wanders into midfield with no runners to exploit in behind. At least Southgate now appears to have realised that alongside Rice we need a player who can progress the ball.

I don't expect massive improvements now from the abjectly low bar we are setting, but we can make clear and obvious improvements to the balance of the side, albeit within the constraints of the squad (no natural left back other than an injured Shaw looks even sillier now).

Pickford

Trent

Guehi

Stones

Walker (lb)

Rice

Mainoo

Gordon

Bellingham

Saka

Kane

That, or move Bellingham deeper and play Foden in the 10. 

There's an argument for Palmer over Saka and I expect a clamour for it, but i think too much stock will be placed on a decent 15 minute cameo against a tired defence. Don't think he moves the needle sufficiently over Saka as a starter.

Edited by martyn

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

We are hamstrung by having no attacking threat from full back, the 2 wide players being players who prefer it to feet, whilst Kane wanders into midfield with no runners to exploit in behind. At least Southgate now appears to have realised that alongside Rice we need a player who can progress the ball.

I don't expect massive improvements now from the abjectly low bar we are setting, but we can make clear and obvious improvements to the balance of the side, albeit within the constraints of the squad (no natural left back other than an injured Shaw looks even sillier now).

Pickford

Trent

Guehi

Stones

Walker (lb)

Rice

Mainoo

Gordon

Bellingham

Saka

Kane

That, or move Bellingham deeper and play Foden in the 10.

There's an argument for Palmer over Saka and I expect a clamour for it, but i think too much stock will be placedvon a decent 15 minute cameo. Don't think he moves the needle sufficiently over Saka as a starter.

Theres more then an arguement for it, Saka has looked shite for 3 games. Palmer deserves his chance after that cameo. 

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi

Trent                                 Saka

Bellingham Rice

Foden

Kane   Watkins

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi

Trent                                 Saka

Bellingham Rice

Foden

Kane   Watkins

You could then bring Gordon on for Saka, Palmer on for Foden, Maniou > Rice, Tripper could play in his natural postion etc.

Bloke is clueless.

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

People saying that was the best performance of the 3 games as if it's a positive!

Doesn’t matter who we play if we look this toothless in attack .

Better when Mainoo and Palmer came on but not hard to be !

• Like 2

They’ll peddle out anything they can to make it positive, first objective was to win the group blah blah blah, two clean sheets and only conceded from a fantastic strike blah blah blah. 

The defence which many expected to the issue has been the complete opposite and actually looked fairly strong and any real problems have come from putting ourselves under pressure. But the attack which everyone was supposed to be fearful of has done very little. Even both of our goals came from heavily deflected crosses. 

Tonight we probably did have a lot better control but I also think out of the three teams we’ve played you wouldn’t expect anything less to be fair. 

I’m clutching at patriotic straws and hoping that come the knockout rounds, games open up for us and we see the team a lot of people expected. But the problem for me there is teams will have seen how easy we are to defend against when they let us have the ball and sit in a block. 

Something attacking wise either needs to click or change come Sunday or I’m very fearful that it’ll be another early exit from a tournament. 

Relative to the ability of the squad we're the worst team in the tournament and I include France in that. What an absolutely golden opportunity having probably the best four sides on one half of the draw, that we're wasting on Gareth Southgate.

Absolutely woeful. This is Euro 2016 all over again. I really do think anybody with a modicum of organisation can beat this England side.

36 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Theres more then an arguement for it, Saka has looked shite for 3 games. Palmer deserves his chance after that cameo. 

You do know that Sakas real surname is Saka-Schitt don't you?

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

I have no ****ing clue how the 3rd ranked teams are decided. How do we avoid Netherlands? 

Quoted from Twitter .

we will face the 3rd placed team from Group E (could be any of them) if either Georgia or Czechia win their final game. Otherwise, it'll be the Netherlands.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Quoted from Twitter .

we will face the 3rd placed team from Group E (could be any of them) if either Georgia or Czechia win their final game. Otherwise, it'll be the Netherlands.”

CZ could beat Turkey tbf. Was just confused because everyone on the radio kept talking about this shoe-in match up with NED.

Thanks mate 

3 minutes ago, KFS said:

I have no ****ing clue how the 3rd ranked teams are decided. How do we avoid Netherlands? 

The arrangement of who goes where depends entirely on which 4 teams get in.  

As far as I can see, if the third places in group C and D both qualify (and they have), then we will get Netherlands in every scenario except if 3rd places groups E and F both qualify. 

This is possible.  Croatia (group B) are already out, so we need both 3rd place group E to get 3 points and a goal difference no worse than -2 - this is likely - and we need 3rd place group F to get 4 points 9snce they can't get 3).  This would involve one of Czechia and Georgia winning.  In that case we would play 3rd in group E.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/28736877/euro-2024-last-16-third-place-explained-england/

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Kane doesn't 

In fact other than the Man city boys and Bellingham the rest of them have barely won a thing

Really think it is about time this country concedes the fact he hasn't won anything isn't some anomaly. The biggest flat track bully in football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

If we avoid Netherlands on Sunday, we potentially would have a pretty easy run to the final. Something like Ukraine - Italy - Austria - Final 

I think most decent managers have us not only in the final, but fairly fresh for it as well after whoever we'd face have had a far more taxing run.

We're that bad though I think even despite his luck we might actually go out to a Slovakia. This is genuine 2016 level stuff at this point. We've got that howler in us. I'm braced.