Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Just now, Wolfox said:

He was very good…. I’m not disputing that…. The point I’m making is that he’s not Zidane yet…

Well yeah he is 20 afterall, but ask any Madrid fan who watch him week in week out and they are impressed. Zidane is a huge marker and to even be mentioned in that bracket at the moment shows his talent 

• Like 3

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

They had more shots, corners and touches in the box. Pickford only made one save, but mostly their shots were blocked.

Got away with one.

I didn’t feel too concerned to be honest, we stick to them and defended well 

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yeah allow the team to grow, I feel we have the players to come good. I was more impressed that we kept our composure at the back 

The positives are composure and keeping a clean sheet, but Southgate needs to be much more aggressive in his setup. Get through the group with nine points and spank one of Denmark or Slovenia and we'll have momentum and confidence, but Southgate needs to switch it up.

• Like 3

Just now, Bilo said:

The positives are composure and keeping a clean sheet, but Southgate needs to be much more aggressive in his setup. Get through the group with nine points and spank one of Denmark or Slovenia and we'll have momentum and confidence, but Southgate needs to switch it up.

Lots of room for improvement, no doubt. More games to come so hopefully we can show more going forward because wr have the players to be scoring more and making things more comfortable 

• Like 1

Fabregas spoke some sense about Foden and Trent playing some careless long balls rather than keeping it but I noticed in the 2nd half a lack of players making themselves available, most times we were lucky if there was one man showing for it and when that happens it’s telegraphed to the opposition where it’s going. That unselfish movement off the ball, being brave enough to want it in tight areas is going to be essential, you can’t just hope someone else will do it you bust a gut to make yourself an option.

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well yeah he is 20 afterall, but ask any Madrid fan who watch him week in week out and they are impressed. Zidane is a huge marker and to even be mentioned in that bracket at the moment shows his talent 

I get it…. I suspect we’re agreeing with one and other…. He’s a big talent…

He’s not earned the right (yet) to be mentioned in the same breath as one of undisputed greats of the game….   It’s too much!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

So had a quick jot down of our tournaments under Southgate. 
WC 2018 Group was Belgium, Panama and Tunisia, knockouts Colombia, Sweden and lost to Croatia
Euro 2021* was Croatia, Czechia and Scotland, knockouts Germany, Ukraine, Denmark and then lost the final to Italy
WC 2022 was USA, Iran, Wales, knockouts Senegal then lost to France
Euro 2024 we have Denmark, Slovenia and Serbia. 

To be fair, not many teams end up playing more than 1 of the other big sides in a major tournament. Look at Argentina in the last World Cup a group of: Poland, Mexico and Saudi Arabia (who they lost to) then Australia, Netherlands and Croatia to make the final against France. 
If you are one of the top 8 teams in the world, then you generally get a pretty comfortable group, followed by a group runner up in the last 16. It’s the same for everyone. It’s not until you get to the last 8 you might start meeting the big sides.

The more they expand these tournaments, the easier the group stage opposition will be.

• Like 3

Just now, fazzyfox said:

Fabregas spoke some sense about Foden and Trent playing some careless long balls rather than keeping it but I noticed in the 2nd half a lack of players making themselves available, most times we were lucky if there was one man showing for it and when that happens it’s telegraphed to the opposition where it’s going. That unselfish movement off the ball, being brave enough to want it in tight areas is going to be essential, you can’t just hope someone else will do it you bust a gut to make yourself an option.

We were losing the midfield battle, for me bringing in Gallagher helped and we seemed to be a bit more comfortable 

Job done I suppose. Need to just go for it more. I’d be tempted to put Trent at right back and a more attacking player in midfield. And Palmer deserves at least a sub appearance after the season he’s had. I don’t dislike Southgate but I feel we need a more tactically astute manager. I can’t see us really progressing to the very end. The one big thing we do have is a genuinely world class player. If we are to go all the way Bellingham will be the catalyst. 

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Can we finally put to bed that Bellingham is not the new Zidane yet….

He’s clearly a talent, but the love in is way over the top 

Happy to put it to bed. He's better than Zidane ever was :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Positive to take is that when the pressure came, the defence handled it relatively well. Guehi was excellent.

Foden was really poor I thought by his standards, Saka faded badly too. 

But a win is a win. I’m sure we’d all take dodgy 1-0 wins throughout the tournament! 

Just now, Samilktray said:

We’ve won so that’s obviously good but there was almost an hour of revolting football there. I’m already miserable about going to work tomorrow so that certainly hasn’t helped 

Well could have been worse that is for sure. Be happy with winning the first game and getting the 3 points.. not easy to start a tournament 

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

Agree with the sentiments on Saka, he does have quality but guaranteed to get hooked at some point.

Grinding out the wins against these  european giants, that's how we're gonna win this tournament :brendan:

Big fan of Saka, but his defensive work was non-existent in the second half. He was just drifting, yards away from their number 2 which kept giving Serbia a 2 on 1 with Walker. Bowen tracked back much more effectively.

• Like 1