Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Just now, trugerkem said:

He is shoehorning Foden into the team …. 2nd half was crying out for Gordon to replace him but Southgate instead of going for a 2nd goal played safe …. again 

The truth is you aren’t playing him ahead of foden so how do you fit him in… we had this issue with scholes, gerrard and lampard… it’s a good one but you don’t want to be effecting the whole balance of the team. Plus I don’t want to see TAA in that role either that didn’t work for me. It wasn’t a surprise that we held the ball better in midfield once Gallagher was on. 

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Left side was a shambles, Kane playing as playing to deep as normal.

Pick the best LB and LM and stop shoehorned players in.

TAA will be destroyed in CM by a elite side.

Bellingham can play there and then you can have Foden in the 10 role… with Gordon out left it would be far better balanced. No need to shoehorn players into unnatural positions 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The FA need to go down the proven winner avenue and really give these players the best chance of maximising there talents. He doesn't have to be English or a yes man

I wonder whether we also need to come up with some sort of way to align the premier league with the national team as Germany did a few years ago where the Bundesliga were typically playing a style of football that suited the national team as a whole and led to a good few years of them being on top. 

We have the most competitive league in the world with the best talents, and it doesn’t seem to align with the way the national team plays, perhaps the FA can work with premier league teams to come up with a long term plan to try to bring England trophies. 

What’s the point in having all of these internationals, often playing front footed football only to get to the England training camp and play cautiously. Whenever we let the leash off we look so much better, we need a semi unified approach with English clubs to get the most out of players nationally. 

Defense wise, despite concern pre tournament seemed quite settled. Midfield and attack was just a little awkward at times. Foden was terrible and unsure how he remained on the field for 90. Was hoping for Gordon to be brought on and see what he could offer in his place.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The FA need to go down the proven winner avenue and really give these players the best chance of maximising there talents. He doesn't have to be English or a yes man

But also yes I completely agree. There’s been many times over the years where I’ve seen us falter and thought “Jose would have got us over the line” or Ancelotti or whoever it may be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

For me it's nothing to do with attitude, it's him not being a winger. Especially not on the left. We're not utilising his strengths by playing him there.

Exactly. I can't understand what Fabregas is suggesting, Foden to start free roaming around the pitch because of his talent? These players behave like robots because the managers demand specific things from them. They even have restricted squares where they can move. 

The fact is that even in the "best" first 30mins it was the same sideways awful football without urgency. There were only 2-3 instances the whole game where the team played more direct football. 

Fact No2 is that the left side is awful. Trippier will eventually make huge mistakes. He's tired, unfit, whatever. 

If anyone believes this team under this manager and tactics has any chance to win against teams like Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal or even Netherlands is absolutely deluded. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but Trent not being able to tackle is even worse in cm than it is at fb. At least he could show people outside before. Looks so easy to play against 

I like Trent, but there's no way he should start again in the midfield over Gallagher or Mainoo.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Why is Rio a pundit he’s an absolute idiot 

A fine example of somebody getting the job because they were a big name player and tv companies want someone to talk crap and stir things up.

16 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Can’t jude play next to rice and we play Foden 10, palmer right and then Eze left. 

Mods take this down before Southgate sees it and overdoses on lemonade and flying saucers.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Fantastic tournament so far with no end of goals. We're gonna be the first game to bore the pants off of everyone aren't we? lol

Nailed it lol always a load of fun until England, France and Portugal turn up.

Just a classic Southgate game tonight. Job done but it's going to be the same old I think.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Foden wasn’t always picked by Southgate and there were questions why but maybe it’s just he doesn’t know where to play him or cannot get the best out of Foden.

Good job the defence was decent .

Or Foden isn't half the player for England that he is for Man City.  Some players just don't work as well in a different environment.  He has literally played nowhere else has he?  No loans etc. 

• Like 1

Another instance of boring boring England, something Southgate excels in. Reminded me of watching LC last season.

Trippier is a waste of a shirt on the left side as the only thing he can do is cut back with his right foot. Foden was a non entity the entire game. The entire left side of the team looks ripe for the picking any time a decent opposition comes along and cares to do so.

It was a very physical game in the 2nd half and we coped better with that side of the game than I thought.

There are some issues with this team that we need to iron out. I think Gallagher or Wharton need to play alongside Rice and then work out which one of Foden, Saka or Palmer play on the right.

I'd start Eze vs Denmark wide left.

In theory Foden or Palmer could play there, Foden has in the past at Man City but it's not his best position and he's come off the back of an exceptional season on the right, as has Palmer. Both of those being on the bench is pretty ludicrous but if last night's performance from Foden is the consequence for being put on the left then he can't start there.

I'd be looking to utilise such weapons off the bench though much earlier. Bringing Foden and Palmer on at 60 mins as roaming 10's could be the ideal scenario.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If Foden wants to be world class he should be able to play more than one position. Modern day attackers can be effective anywhere across the attack. 

That is true.

And probably use both feet too?

Maybe asked to be more defensive or not allowed to go inside?

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Or Foden isn't half the player for England that he is for Man City.  Some players just don't work as well in a different environment.  He has literally played nowhere else has he?  No loans etc. 

No don't think he has.

Played his first game years ago it seems and not always been a regular starter under Pep.

Edited by Super_horns

As many have said Foden was poor. But imo the two weak links in this side come at the back and front end - Pickford and Kane.

Pickford hoofs it long too much, gives the ball back and invites pressure. I’m willing to bet it might be infectious as well because then others start doing it. And then we look like the England of old, which is criminal given we have much better technical ability on the ball now. But maybe we still lack the mentality, and I think Pickford certainly does. He’s too hot headed, but not sure we have a Mads or Ederson style keeper in this country just yet?

I feel like the conversations about Rooney that everyone was having about 2-3 years before he retired is now warranted with Kane. He didn’t really contribute much yesterday, other than drawing fouls late on. I said the same in the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

As many have said Foden was poor. But imo the two weak links in this side come at the back and front end - Pickford and Kane.

Pickford hoofs it long too much, gives the ball back and invites pressure. I’m willing to bet it might be infectious as well because then others start doing it. And then we look like the England of old, which is criminal given we have much better technical ability on the ball now. But maybe we still lack the mentality, and I think Pickford certainly does. He’s too hot headed, but not sure we have a Mads or Ederson style keeper in this country just yet?

I feel like the conversations about Rooney that everyone was having about 2-3 years before he retired is now warranted with Kane. He didn’t really contribute much yesterday, other than drawing fouls late on. I said the same in the World Cup.

Careful criticising Kane on here mate

• Haha 2