Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

... because every single team, pundit and analyst will see it for the desperation move that it is this close to the tournament, rightly sense weakness and have a huge confidence boost when playing England, no matter who they get in to replace him?

If something's not working you're trying to fix it. Where's the desperation coming from? Did Southgate had all these players training with him more than 20 days all season? National teams are all about tactically clever and competent managers. You get your tactics right according to the strength of the squad and you can win it. 

It happened several times before. Every single team that won the Euro had managers with character and proper tactics. Here you are:

Denmark 1992, Team was called to participate late. Nielsen was already known as a very decent tactical manager. 

Greece 2004. Needless to say how Rehhagel managed to have a bunch of nobodies win the tournament by spot on tactical masterclass. 

Spain 2008: Aragones, the "father" of tiki taka. Exceptional tactical manager. 

Spain 2012: Del Bosque, continuing the tiki taka but also expanding it by  exploiting gaps and space between the lines. 

I can go on and on with all the years of the tournament and more in depth if you want. Where is Southgate standing? Wtf is this guy doing there? He's clueless tactically, he can barely speak with proper sentences. Do you guys believe there is a chance this team will win the Euro under Southgate? You can't be serious. 

18 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

If something's not working you're trying to fix it. Where's the desperation coming from? Did Southgate had all these players training with him more than 20 days all season? National teams are all about tactically clever and competent managers. You get your tactics right according to the strength of the squad and you can win it. 

It happened several times before. Every single team that won the Euro had managers with character and proper tactics. Here you are:

Denmark 1992, Team was called to participate late. Nielsen was already known as a very decent tactical manager. 

Greece 2004. Needless to say how Rehhagel managed to have a bunch of nobodies win the tournament by spot on tactical masterclass. 

Spain 2008: Aragones, the "father" of tiki taka. Exceptional tactical manager. 

Spain 2012: Del Bosque, continuing the tiki taka but also expanding it by  exploiting gaps and space between the lines. 

I can go on and on with all the years of the tournament and more in depth if you want. Where is Southgate standing? Wtf is this guy doing there? He's clueless tactically, he can barely speak with proper sentences. Do you guys believe there is a chance this team will win the Euro under Southgate? You can't be serious. 

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I agree that there are far better managerial options out there than Southgate from a tactical perspective (though I will say a lot of the criticism I see of him is irrelevantly based on his demeanour and personality rather than legit tactical criticisms).

I also think that the time to replace him, if there was one, was weeks or months ago, and changing things in that way a week before the tournament will result in upheaval that any vaguely competent opposition outfit will take full advantage of and will result in a worse outcome than keeping him in.

Of course, that's just a hypothesis that lacks a control group and so will remain just that, but so is yours and we're never going to really know which one was correct given we can't run the thing twice or more.

On 06/06/2024 at 16:06, Bert said:

Jack Grealish, Harry Maguire, James Maddison, Jarrad Branthwaite, James Trafford, Curtis Jones and Jarrell Quansah are the ones to miss out by all accounts. 

Good news that they think Shaw will be ok. Maguire has always been decent enough for England but surely Guehi starts alongside Stones. 

Surely Shaw won't be match fit

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

There's that too.

Probably be someone free like Potter or from the England set up .

I mean last time we lost a manager close to a major event Roy Hodgson was appointed..

Would end up with a Lampard .

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I agree that there are far better managerial options out there than Southgate from a tactical perspective (though I will say a lot of the criticism I see of him is irrelevantly based on his demeanour and personality rather than legit tactical criticisms).

I also think that the time to replace him, if there was one, was weeks or months ago, and changing things in that way a week before the tournament will result in upheaval that any vaguely competent opposition outfit will take full advantage of and will result in a worse outcome than keeping him in.

Of course, that's just a hypothesis that lacks a control group and so will remain just that, but so is yours and we're never going to really know which one was correct given we can't run the thing twice or more.

I agree with you that everything it's just an hypothesis. There's no way he's getting the sack, especially now. What I'm saying is, if someone above there decided to sack him there are managers out there to take the job right away just for the tournament. If I was Klopp I would accept the job without any doubt just for the month of the Euro. Highly likely to become a hero out of nowhere. The talent is there, this team needs a decent manager not even a top one imo. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I agree with you that everything it's just an hypothesis. There's no way he's getting the sack, especially now. What I'm saying is, if someone above there decided to sack him there are managers out there to take the job right away just for the tournament. If I was Klopp I would accept the job without any doubt just for the month of the Euro. Highly likely to become a hero out of nowhere. The talent is there, this team needs a decent manager not even a top one imo. 

Fair argument.

I guess only time is going to tell.

I was quite confident getting this group, but having watched us in the last two games and seen results elsewhere a little bit of concern as crept in. Serbia must watch the England performance against Iceland and have some hope of getting something out of the game. The longer you frustrate England, the more likely you will get summit. Seems like the more defenders you camp in your box, England will not get through. We hope that, this is fixed in training. A lot of players looked totally clueless and lost for ideas. For me times like this we need to encourage players like Foden, Bellingham, Palmer to take long range efforts outside the box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Really looking forward to the euros now but especially the “Women of EURO 2024” thread!

You won’t be opening that until at least Saturday mate 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Apprantely Tom Heaton as flew out with the england squad. Heard no one has pulled out, if true a kick in the teeth to jack butland.

He's there in a coaching role as much as anything by the looks of things. Not sure why that would bother Butland.

2 hours ago, Rain King said:

He's there in a coaching role as much as anything by the looks of things. Not sure why that would bother Butland.

Not sure if was selected as back up choice like one of selected three had picked up a knock.

I can see us winning it, probably falter at the QF stages. 

GK - Ok

Defence- Adequate injuries maguire out, Shaw out, Stones not fit. Guehi not proven, dunk not proven. 

Midfield - Good although Bellingham is carrying an injury, foden still not firing for England. Plenty of depth and options in Eze, Saka, Gordon, Wharton. Will be interesting to see TAA in CDM against the better sides

Forwards- Great if Kane is 100% fit Toney and Watkins are good bench options. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I think basically everyone is hoping we can out score everyone else with the "world class" attack we have and hope the defence hold out. 

Yeah, I just struggle to see them keeping clean sheets. Even in the first game, you just feel a fired up Mitrovic scores against what is going to be a bit of a patched together defence.

The strengths are so strong they could go all the way, but the weaknesses obvious there could also be a disaster. 

• Like 1

Where are people watching it? Can’t say I’m a huge fan of watching in pubs but read an article in The Observer on Sunday, talking about consumer habits changing because of Covid, re more likely to book than previously for big events like football tournaments.

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Where are people watching it? Can’t say I’m a huge fan of watching in pubs but read an article in The Observer on Sunday, talking about consumer habits changing because of Covid, re more likely to book than previously for big events like football tournaments.

I was tempted to go Locker Room but they’re charging to get in. Was a good atmosphere for the World Cup in there. Not paying to get into a bar, that’s for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

I was tempted to go Locker Room but they’re charging to get in. Was a good atmosphere for the World Cup in there. Not paying to get into a bar, that’s for sure. 

Yeah they’ve got Geoff Peters for the group games apparently. Not sure I’ve got it in me to be chucking beer over my head anymore, especially for a group game against Serbia 🤣

2 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Yeah, I just struggle to see them keeping clean sheets. Even in the first game, you just feel a fired up Mitrovic scores against what is going to be a bit of a patched together defence.

The strengths are so strong they could go all the way, but the weaknesses obvious there could also be a disaster. 

Can also see Serbia scoring against us, so let's hope we knock a few in. Otherwise could be a squeaky bum group.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

Denmark will beat England I believe. 

I can see Serbia also, want to be wrong but the last two performances... looked disjointed. Going into the Euro 21 and World Cup last time, there was so much excitement and encourage going into the tournament. Players and fans looked like prepared, ready and buzzing to go now. I just feel that we haven't been the same for last few months, some negativity as crept in. A few players look tired, problems from the past that maybe haven't seen for a while in England shirt have started to reappear. Hopefully this just a smoke screen for an epic tournament for England.

England 1990, England went into under poor form and players came under stick from day one, but ended up having satisfying tournament to the semis. 

• Like 1