Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

I can see us dropping points in at least one game. None of the teams will be troubling the latter stages but none of them are mugs either. Serbia and Slovenia will be particularly underrated, Denmark maybe overrated. 

9 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

Denmark will beat England I believe. 

Don’t be so sure. Denmark have regressed somewhat since the last Euros and off the back of a terrible World Cup and an unconvincing qualifying campaign, they’ve failed to truly capitalise on the great run of 2021. The belief over here is that the manager appears to favour certain players and there’s been quite an uproar that Celtics Matt O’Riley wasn’t called up, while Mikkel Damsgaard, whose last career goal was against England at the last euros(!), was. 

There was a real feel good factor about Denmark three years ago, which continued throughout the mightily impressive WC qualifying only to be punctured completely in Qatar. I don’t really have any expectations and I can quite easily see us (Denmark) finishing 3rd, if it all comes down to the last group game against Serbia. 

Let’s see how it goes. I’m sure @shen has their own thoughts on our prospects. Apologies if already shared in the thread - I’ll admit I haven’t read the first few pages. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Don’t be so sure. Denmark have regressed somewhat since the last Euros and off the back of a terrible World Cup and an unconvincing qualifying campaign, they’ve failed to truly capitalise on the great run of 2021. The belief over here is that the manager appears to favour certain players and there’s been quite an uproar that Celtics Matt O’Riley wasn’t called up, while Mikkel Damsgaard, whose last career goal was against England at the last euros(!), was. 

There was a real feel good factor about Denmark three years ago, which continued throughout the mightily impressive WC qualifying only to be punctured completely in Qatar. I don’t really have any expectations and I can quite easily see us (Denmark) finishing 3rd, if it all comes down to the last group game against Serbia. 

Let’s see how it goes. I’m sure @shen has their own thoughts on our prospects. Apologies if already shared in the thread - I’ll admit I haven’t read the first few pages. 

I echo that pretty much.

Whenever I've watched Denmark this past year, we've been very unconvincing.

The squad hasn't been renewed a great deal - it's essentially the same squad as at Euro 2020 and WC 2022 (which, as you pointed out, failed miserably). Højlund is the main notable addition, which CAN make a difference, but I don't believe the quality is there.

Anything beyond the first knockout round should be considered a big success

Southgate once made a promise hed only take players fully fit and in form. I think Smalling could reconsidered doing great for Roma, seems to have gone off the England radar. Least with Smalling theres good experience there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

I just want to point out that the opinion here is divided - the tabloid media have had some success with the narrative @VinceNoirseems to buy into, but in general it seems people are still very excited with the team. 
England are big favorites against us of course. But it’s a myth that our coach hasn’t renewed the team at all and only picks the old guard - Hjulmand will probably start as DM, Bah as RB, Kristiansen as LB and Hojlund on top, all young players. Plus there are mitigating circumstances to the failure in Qatar, most importantly the heated discussion and pressure on the team from the public for them to take a stand politically.

Finally, the O’Riley-thing. Omg. Damsgaard was out for a year (!) with arthritis and has taken a long time to build fitness - why do people not consider that fact? He’s also our only truly creative player besides Eriksen and the best at playing in small spaces. But yes, let’s replace him with a completely different type who’s played in a league of League One quality. 
Sorry, I do rate Mo’R, but we really need to see him perform consistently at a high level before slagging off our coach for not picking him before proven players.

edit: There wasn’t any mitigating circumstances at play in our near draw in San Marino, though. THAT was truly embarrassing!

Edited by Foxy DK

20 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Agreed with a lot of this. Denmark got to the semi’s last time out with a fairly good draw and the motivation from the terrible Eriksen events. They were pathetic at the World Cup in 2022 given the expectation and I don’t see anything which makes me think this competition will be too different. Serbia and Slovenia on the other hand will be compact, physical and very tricky. 

3 hours ago, Foxy DK said:

I just want to point out that the opinion here is divided - the tabloid media have had some success with the narrative @VinceNoirseems to buy into, but in general it seems people are still very excited with the team. 
England are big favorites against us of course. But it’s a myth that our coach hasn’t renewed the team at all and only picks the old guard - Hjulmand will probably start as DM, Bah as RB, Kristiansen as LB and Hojlund on top, all young players. Plus there are mitigating circumstances to the failure in Qatar, most importantly the heated discussion and pressure on the team from the public for them to take a stand politically.

Finally, the O’Riley-thing. Omg. Damsgaard was out for a year (!) with arthritis and has taken a long time to build fitness - why do people not consider that fact? He’s also our only truly creative player besides Eriksen and the best at playing in small spaces. But yes, let’s replace him with a completely different type who’s played in a league of League One quality. 
Sorry, I do rate Mo’R, but we really need to see him perform consistently at a high level before slagging off our coach for not picking him before proven players.

edit: There wasn’t any mitigating circumstances at play in our near draw in San Marino, though. THAT was truly embarrassing!

Let me pinpoint a few things you’ve maybe misunderstood. 

- I know you’re not quoting me here, but there’s a difference between the old guard and his favourites. I guess they’re players he trusts, but given their performances since EURO 2020, it’s underwhelming seeing so many of the same players who failed in 2022 and unimpressed during the Euro qualifiers. I’m really hopeful the likes of Højlund, Hjulmand and co. can spark a bit of life into the team, but when I see the squad, it doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

- I’m not going to claim that I watch O’Riley week in week out, but based on his form this season, I think he warrants a place in a 26-man squad over the likes of the Brentford lads, for instance, who in my opinion haven’t impressed much this season. 

- Yes, I’m aware Damsgaard has been injured. But when not injured, he’s not particularly set the world alight has he? Injury or not, I used that stat to underline how mad it actually as that he hasn’t scored since then, hence the use of the (!). I also didn’t compare O’Riley and Damsgaard as like for like players. If you read it again, you’ll see how I use both players to exemplify how mad it is that an in-form player misses out and an out of form player gets in. Nothing to do with the players being similar types. I’ll be more than happy for Damsgaard to prove me wrong of course! 

- Lastly, you mention proven players. What have they proven exactly? They had a great run three years ago and have since stumbled. As I said, I’m excited by the players you mention - Højlund, Bah, VK, Hjulmand and some of the other younger lads. None of these are proven though. 

Anyway, enough FoxesTalk for me. I’m off to read my beloved tabloids! ;) 

Have a great euros. Come on Denmark! 

Edited by VinceNoir

8 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Southgate will probably be cautious as normal, but it'd be nice if he could push down the handbrake more at the right moments.

We can only hope he knows he is off anyway, might as well throw caution to the wind and go for it, especially as we are swimming in attacking talent and in a desert of defensive ability.

On 11/06/2024 at 18:55, Lionator said:

I can see us dropping points in at least one game. None of the teams will be troubling the latter stages but none of them are mugs either. Serbia and Slovenia will be particularly underrated, Denmark maybe overrated. 

Have we ever got nine points in a group at a World Cup or a Euros? I can't remember it happening. We always struggle in at least one of the group games. I'd bite your hand off for seven points right now.

Sounds like Sunday will be;

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi Trippier

Bellingham Rice Trent

Saka Kane Foden

Baffles me that he won't play Foden in the middle but there we go.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Pickford

Bellingham Rice Trent

Saka Kane Foden

Problem for Foden is his record for England is poor. Only scored on 3 appearances and not looked great even when played as a 10. 

Obviously you can argue this is because Southgate can't get the best out of him. I kind of think wide is the place for him for England, so he doesn't have Kane getting in his way but ideally would be on the right. 

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Problem for Foden is his record for England is poor. Only scored on 3 appearances and not looked great even when played as a 10. 

Obviously you can argue this is because Southgate can't get the best out of him. I kind of think wide is the place for him for England, so he doesn't have Kane getting in his way but ideally would be on the right. 

Midfield 3 of Bellingham, Foden and Rice just makes so much sense to me. Three of the best midfielders in the world in their natural positions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Midfield 3 of Bellingham, Foden and Rice just makes so much sense to me. Three of the best midfielders in the world in their natural positions.

Rightly or wrongly, it's the lack of trust in the defence that will stop this ever happening. Particularly in games of extra importance. 

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Pickford

Bellingham Rice Trent

Saka Kane Foden

Kane often drops deep. Foden should/could then fill in the space Harry leaves. 

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Pickford

Bellingham Rice Trent

Saka Kane Foden

Since when did England play players in the natural position lol Foden always looks lost out wide... hence why pep at Man City plays him in the middle but Southgate knows better :blink:

Edited by Leicesterpool