Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Serious doubts emerging over whether Luke Shaw will play any part in the tournament. And no other left-footed full back in the squad. Genius. 

Luckily we have 7 right backs who are used to playing out of position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh now IT seems that Southgate IS stating that England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 the team he picked (and yes he does have responsibility On his mega salary) was too tired against Denmark. My God this man. What a total an utter twat. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shen said:

I wonder what it is that you see us doing now which is giving you optimism. We're just poor at creating good chances, which has been a problem for a loooong time.

The media made it sound like we were the superior side against England, but the more balanced view is that we were pretty much equal. England were closest to winning hitting the post - our (half-)chances were almost exclusively from range and our goal was a wonderstrike. The xG gave a good picture

First, I think we have been better at both pressing and playing out of pressure in the last four games bar second half v Slovenia. That’s a prerequisite for success if you want to control games.

Second, I think that has given us more chances in those games than we’ve been used to. 

Third, I think our defense looked very solid vs England, mostly.

So far I think we look more like the team from 21 than 22-23 and therefore I’m quite optimistic though not delusional - we might lose to Serbia and then it’s doom and gloom again.

I do think we were the better side v England - an opinion I think most English fans and media share as well. I think Hojbjerg had as many shots on target as England 😊 but I agree that some tend to exaggerate how well we played.

I’m glad you are not one of those who question his motives and it’s completely fair to discuss whether Hjulmand is doing a good job or not. In my opinion we have the players to play like Hjulmand wants them to and yes, it’s harder to implement than the simple low block, high energy, direct passing, counter attacking style of Hareide - but when it works it gives us the best chance of winning games especially v weaker opponents that we traditionally struggled to beat. 
I appreciate the discussion as well.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Christ imagine this thread if we had half of a back 4 made up of Crystal Palace players.

I'd rather take a decent but unspectacular left back for the left back position than shoehorn in someone who clearly isn't up to it.  As we are.

Mitchell also has a partnership with Guehi which is a plus.

On 21/06/2024 at 17:38, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

This is the crux of it, I think. I don't think our national fanbase is that hard to please, we were broadly pleased with a 1-1 draw with Russia we should've won in 2016 under Roy because we looked quite good in spells?

People bleat on about the weight of expectation on England, but I genuinely think as a nation we'd have been fine with a draw against Denmark if we approached yesterday with an ounce of attacking intent. It's the nature of the way these games play out that's crap rather than the results.

On 21/06/2024 at 19:30, Dan LCFC said:

It's a myth, and the point about the media more so. Our media are far kinder than pretty much any of our counterparts. They definitely snapped yesterday though.

I think this is a working hypothesis that needs to be tested tbh.

It certainly seems that English fans and media are often whiny, negative and really tough to please, but whether that's actually true across the board in comparison to other places merits a closer look.

Have I just read something right? 

Please tell me it's parody.

Southgate claims the team lack the physical levels to execute his gameplan?

His gameplan is ****ing walking football! The game is walking football nowadays, it's a stain of the 'modern game'!

We're at a point where players are more skillful and fitter than ever before, yet they're wasted. (All around the world, not just England)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyFOX12 said:

This is so bad. For reference, englands rate of creating xG in the Euros is worse than Sheffield United last season on average. Literally bottom of the league stuff, with hundreds of millions of pounds worth of attackers. 

16 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Who would you have taken? Chilwell, that's about it?

Literally anyone left footed who isn’t on medical leave. Doughty from Luton possibly, Tyrick Mitchell at Palace. System is more important than the player, someone who can provide natural width, get to the byline and cross rather than coming inside every time. 

Lief Davis even, I know that’d never happen off the back of a championship season, but the whole left side does not function, and it’s the fault of selection, we’d be better off with Davis than Trippier. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I think this is a working hypothesis that needs to be tested tbh.

It certainly seems that English fans and media are often whiny, negative and really tough to please, but whether that's actually true across the board in comparison to other places merits a closer look.

It is definitely the performance this time. Drawing with Denmark is no disgrace, they have been an awkward opponent over the years and Kasper usually has a blinder in these games, often against worse sides than this one.

The stats are damning. We create so little. That is unacceptable.

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

It is definitely the performance this time. Drawing with Denmark is no disgrace, they have been an awkward opponent over the years and Kasper usually has a blinder in these games, often against worse sides than this one.

The stats are damning. We create so little. That is unacceptable.

I don't disagree, but this is one piece of an overall picture.

Maybe, just maybe the English players arent as good as the World make them out to be if they aren't surrounded by other world class players at their clubs?

OR they just put the 3 lions shirt on and turn into championship quality players!

7 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Can someone explain what this means, I have no idea about xg.

It is a statistical measure of the quality of chances created. It's expressed in an aggregated way so that e.g. Scotland, on an expected average, would have scored fewer than 1 goal over the first two games. England fewer than 2 goals.

It means they've scored from more difficult chanes and failed to create clear opportunities.

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Raj said:

Maybe, just maybe the English players arent as good as the World make them out to be if they aren't surrounded by other world class players at their clubs?

OR they just put the 3 lions shirt on and turn into championship quality players!

Margins in international football are shrinking and England just have rarely ever been able to extract the best from their players.

Euro2020 is probably the best I've ever seen England (since '92).

• Like 3