Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps one day we might be able to make cracks about Germany that don't involve an event 80 odd years ago that has naff all to do with today but is seemingly an obsession with those who didn't even come close to fighting in it.

Not today, though, apparently.

I always think people pick and choose what they want to bring up about the past.

Depending on the political stance of the person that among a load of other regimes, it's either pointing the ills of the British Empire or Germany. Or countless other whatabouterys.

A person should either accept that all are discussed or joked about, or none at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

So  play 3rd in D/E or F if we win the group .

Germany if it’s 2nd place ( eeek !) 

3rd place will be winner Group E.

Should fear no one really, if you want to be serious winners. England do need a big statement win to just send a message... just can't see it. We will probably beat Slovenia in a narrow 1-0 victory. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

England 4-0 winners tonight no problem.  Win the next round in a nervy 1-0.  Lose to the first decent team we play in the quarters.  RInse and repeat.

If we win the group and our round of 16 game, the QF will be against Italy or Switzerland. I’d be disappointed - though not necessarily surprised - to lose to either of those. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

England 4-0 winners tonight no problem.  Win the next round in a nervy 1-0.  Lose to the first decent team we play in the quarters.  RInse and repeat.

Bang on.

After today, which will be like a qualification game the whole nation including lineker  and Shearer will be saying this is it, it's coming home.

As Chatham just sai wue a 1-0 to Switzerland next round!!

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Bang on.

After today, which will be like a qualification game the whole nation including lineker  and Shearer will be saying this is it, it's coming home.

As Chatham just sai wue a 1-0 to Switzerland next round!!

Swiss could be the last 8.

Have to get past an Austria/Netherlands or a Romania/Ukraine/  first .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Swiss could be the last 8.

Have to get past an Austria/Netherlands or a Romania/Ukraine/  first .

Nervy 1-0 territory. No chance we beat Italy.  If we get the swiss we might make it two nervy 1-0 wins in a row then lose to the first decent team we play in the Semi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nalis said:

I always think people pick and choose what they want to bring up about the past.

Depending on the political stance of the person that among a load of other regimes, it's either pointing the ills of the British Empire or Germany. Or countless other whatabouterys.

A person should either accept that all are discussed or joked about, or none at all.

I think there's a difference between bringing up the bad in "your own" history, and bringing up the bad in "someone else's" (accurate as either may be), but yeah, fair point.

Anyhow, agree with some of the flow here - England will actually perform tonight, come through a nervy 2nd round match by the odd goal and then end up going out to Italy/France/Spain/Germany whenever they meet them. I hope that I'm wrong, though.

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

If we win the group and our round of 16 game, the QF will be against Italy or Switzerland. I’d be disappointed - though not necessarily surprised - to lose to either of those. 

Look how it ended the last time we played Italy in a major competition …. We lost !! I don’t think Italy are as bad as people are making out. IF they played us in the Euros they would raise their game anyway and it would be a very tough match. 

12 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

Look how it ended the last time we played Italy in a major competition …. We lost !! I don’t think Italy are as bad as people are making out. IF they played us in the Euros they would raise their game anyway and it would be a very tough match. 

Italy have the muscle memory to grind out a last minute draw- England don't have that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raj said:

Think i'll watch the Denmark Serbia game, be more at stake rather than a dead rubber.

I was thinking about getting up at 3am to watch England, but now we are through anyway I will probably just watch the 3 minute highlights.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I was thinking about getting up at 3am to watch England, but now we are through anyway I will probably just watch the 3 minute highlights.

Yeah I know that I wouldn’t be getting up at 3 am to watch any soccer 😆 

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We played one of the last tournament's semi finalists, were absolutely dreadful and still didn't lose.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We played one of the last tournament's semi finalists, were absolutely dreadful and still didn't lose.

Fair, however they are notably not as good as they were 3 years ago, and without the goodwill behind them.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Fair, however they are notably not as good as they were 3 years ago, and without the goodwill behind them.

Probably not, but they're still a decent side. No one has really looked outstanding so far, is it only Spain on for a maximum after the group stage? 

This is probably the one game of the group where we will have more of the ball and probably need Alexander-Arnold greater creativity. I would at least move him to right back.

The fact Southgate is going to pick Connor Gallagher sums him up. I like Gallagher to a point, and could well play well but its just a typical Southgate replacement.