Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Maresca leaves confirmed

Just now, MPH said:

well we will never fully understand what's gone on behind closed doors of course... 

But I was quite surprised that the club came out swinging with their statements and 'leaked' info.... its almost as if they were on damage limitation and wanted to get in a  pre-emptive strike  before the Balogue article dropped..

Ha! They do have previous for it, that's for sure!

Those behind the scenes definitely don't like being called out on their sh*t, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Time to move on.

But I'm guessing I'm not going to like the next managers tac tics either.

But I'll cut him some slack for the first game. We'll maybe until H/T any way.

Getting a 5 year contract at Chelsea is like winning the football lottery so fair play to him.

As others have said, failing there shouldn’t hurt his reputation too much. 

They should carry some momentum from last season so I think they’ll at least start well regardless of the manager. Will give him a little head start if that happens.

I’ll still enjoy it if he struggles next year though, because, well, I’m a bitter football fan :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I appreciate it might be a frustrating situation, but I feel like the club hierarchy is picking fights with everyone at the moment (the EFL, the prem, now this passive aggressive stuff about Enzo). Whatever the justification, it's not a great look bearing in mind their own financial management. 

Chelsea are in a complete mess they have bodged contracts just to fit within financial fair play and it's all gonna come back and smack em in the face soon enough .. 

And I will enjoy it too 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I appreciate it might be a frustrating situation, but I feel like the club hierarchy is picking fights with everyone at the moment (the EFL, the prem, now this passive aggressive stuff about Enzo). Whatever the justification, it's not a great look bearing in mind their own financial management. 

I think this is completely fair enough. The way chelsea go about situations like this is awful. They hit the socials hard early on and let the media do their job. Heads turn much easier this way.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Graham Potter flopped at Chelsea and he’s been linked with Man Utd, England, Ajax. Enzo failing at Chelsea won’t make him unemployable  

There's been a few jobs that you'd think have been at his level come up recently and he's not reported to have been near getting any of them. 

West Ham, Bournemouth, Palace, Wolves, Notts Forest have all recruited for a manager since he's been unemployed, all roughly at his "level". He's turned us down before so that's probably another one he's not going to get. 

Could genuinely be a good while before he's back in a role. 

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regardless of the size of the offer, or the treatment from the club, this is the thing that irks me. It does come across as a bit disloyal. Very remisncent of Brian Little actually...

At the same time, as explained above, 99% of people take the offer on the table from Chelsea.

And he had recommitted to the club as per Percy's articles and his family are settled in the area. 

I was a supporter of Maresca and what he brought to the club but the disloyalty has really disappointed me. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, em9999 said:

Chelsea will be charged with breaking ffp soon enough , Enzo won't last past Christmas ... 

He ain't no arteta and he deffo ain't no pep

It doesn't matter if he's good or not. By default he won't be given the time Arteta had from Arsenal. If Arteta was in Chelsea he would have been sacked in 6-8 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

So it seems the club are going to:

"continue the implementation of our long-term vision for the success of Leicester City Football Club."

I presume that means another tippy tappy sideways manager. 1 positive is that seems to rule out Cooper, as he a championship promotion manager at best. 

I disagree. He's a proven Premiership relegation survival manager. 

Really disappointed in the sense that the club took a bold move last season with the hire. If we'd known he'd go running off to Chelsea 12 months later then we could have avoided the hire altogether. Made us some money though I guess.

Get the new man in quickly now and let's get at it. Fire in the belly. Would love to beat them at the KP this season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

if that's the case, does it mean we won't get the compensation until after the new accounting period begins (which won't help much with our efforts to avoid breaching for the current period)...?

Hmmmmmm I wonder. This could be the source of the delay in the confirmation. Maybe why we are getting a bigger compensation fee than first reported. Although £8m in 23/24 would be better for us than £10m in 24/25 given our issues.

I don't see how it massively impacts Chelsea either way as that £10m is worth £2m to them in the 23/24 accounts. Surely their PSR position is not tipped in the balance one way or the other by £2m.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Should they not look at themselves as to the reasons why he “jumped ship at the first opportunity” and “openly courted the job”?

As for the long term vision remaining unaffected - firstly and most importantly, get your house in order! Secondly if that means this pathetic vision of playing like Man City, I’m out.

I’m out?

What do you actually mean by that?  

19 minutes ago, em9999 said:

He ain't no arteta and he deffo ain't no pep

He’s had one full season, you have no idea what he may yet achieve.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

'A next step to the elite' - inside Maresca's move to Chelsea

Guillem Balague banner

It's official. Enzo Maresca is the new Chelsea manager.

Just weeks after guiding Leicester City back to the Premier League, the Italian has quit after one season and opted to take on what many see as a poisoned chalice.

The 44-year-old will become the fifth Blues boss since the start of 2022-23, and a seventh permanent boss in five years.

His predecessor Mauricio Pochettino lost his job - albeit by mutual consent - at the end of the season despite guiding Chelsea to sixth in the Premier League, back into European football and to a domestic cup final.

So, why has Maresca turned his back on the Foxes for a club who splashed an incredible £747m on transfers during the 2022-23 campaign and have lurched from crisis to crisis in the recent past?

Issues looming for the Foxes

As genuine as Maresca's joy was at taking Leicester City straight back to the top flight at the first time of asking, the euphoria created by promotion could not disguise the fact that not everything was well at the club.

Leicester's possible Financial Fair Play (FFP) issues were something he only became aware of after the season had started.

That, coupled with a highly unsatisfactory January transfer window involving two deals in particular, also created conflict at Leicester.

Cesare Casadei was very much part of Maresca's plans after signing on loan - coincidentally, from Chelsea - at the start of the season. Then Chelsea recalled him in the winter window.

Stefano Sensi, from Inter Milan, had come to the UK to help complete the deal once the two clubs had negotiated a fee for the player. Suddenly everything fell apart over concerns surrounding the club's FFP standing.

Maresca kept his counsel and soldiered on but to say he was unimpressed on both occasions would be an understatement.

But to say that disillusionment with the club is the defining reason for his swapping the blue of Leicester to that of Chelsea is wide of the mark.

Aiming for a top-four finish

The reality is that when you receive offers from two former Champions League-winning sides - Chelsea and Porto - your profile in a competitive market becomes clear. And it is clear too why Maresca has been chosen to make improvements at a potentially top club like Chelsea.

That is probably being a bit unfair to Pochettino, because he has left the club in a considerably better, far more stable place than he found it 12 months ago.

Pochettino, though, is the type of coach who has to believe he is in the right place, where he feels respected as he co-exists in an atmosphere of happiness and harmony - and he felt none of those things at Stamford Bridge.

Ironically, Maresca is also that kind of manager, someone who needs to feel empathy and the understanding of his paymasters.

Bearing that in mind, his main worry about accepting the job will be taking on board Pochettino's reasons for leaving, namely the excessive interference and influence exerted by the owners, which many believe hampers the work done by the coaches.

He could have called Pochettino to ask for his input.

But Maresca has been told the right things, sent the right messages and been reassured that at Chelsea he will be supported and surrounded by enough elite people that can work alongside him, to guarantee the club can achieve their first major aim of a top-four finish.

What will he find at Chelsea?

He will find a young team, one disappointed with the departure of Pochettino, who many felt was just starting to get it right.

But he shouldn't have too much of a problem selling his type of game to his new players, a style which isn't dissimilar from Pochettino's: high tempo, pressure high up the pitch, possession.

This time - with the greatest respect to the Leicester squad - he will be able to apply it with players better than the ones he had at King Power Stadium.

To do that, he will have to stamp his authority and continue the progress in the culture of the club started by Pochettino, not just within the camp but also with everyone around it as well, very much like he did at Leicester.

Maresca won't initially be looking for a club that wins absolutely everything but rather one that gives him stability and allows him to put his ideology into practice.

For the majority of Leicester fans, there will be disappointment.

But Maresca, despite the title-winning euphoria, always believed the main aim for this Leicester side in the coming season would be avoiding relegation.

The Chelsea fans will take to him and to his style of play. They will find him an interesting guy, a man of depth who might come over a little reserved at the beginning but who will soon convince the fans.

His wife Maria and their four children will be happy to be staying in England, although they would have preferred to remain in Leicester, where they have settled very well.

When offers like this come in, though, they also know that they can't really be turned down.

Ultimately, his decision to leave Leicester has nothing to do with the negativity he received from some of the fans in the past about the style of football.

Rather, it is because a club of a higher calibre has given him the chance to get close to the elite - where he belonged as a player and to where he quite rightly aspires to be as a coach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cv22ed022j5o

I don't dislike Enzo,, even though he's chosen to **** us over.  I would like to see him fail at Chelsea, but if he does have what it takes to make it big in the long run, good on him. 

This journnalist orifice who handles his PR though, can go to hell.

Edited by KingsX

10 minutes ago, KP Fox said:

I disagree. He's a proven Premiership relegation survival manager. 

I think thats more luck than judgement, becasue we and Everton collectively decided to shit the bed. 

Then Brighton went on holiday and Arsenal bottled it. 

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

Being honest,  no matter how much i like my boss, if someone offers to double/  triple my wages, i'll be off faster than the road runner.. Let's not kid ourselves, we'd drop him like a hot potato if it didn't work out..

We all know that football is a business & when a manager gets the opportunity to double/triple his salary as well as the chance at Europe in some shape or form he grabs it with both hands.

Good for him !!

• Like 1