Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OldBob

Tiki Taka vs Direct Football

Tiki Taka vs Direct Football?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What would the fans prefer the team to play moving forward. Stick with Tiki Taka football or play direct football (not necessarily long ball)?

• Tiki Taka football
    • Dirrect football

33 minutes ago, Koke said:

Bournemouth or Everton?

Not much between them if you remove the points deduction.

Old Burnley or Fulham? 

Old Burnley finished in Europe in their second season. Fulham haven't shown anything of the sort yet.

Old Bolton or current Brighton? 

Easily old Bolton. Bolton were top 8 for 4 consecutive seasons, Brighton are nowhere near that level of consistency.

Can't believe people will chose route one anti football terrorism over modern progressive attacking football. 

Direct football won't get you above  15th. So if you guys are hapoy being 15th in the league forever then then so be it.

None of the comparisons you selectively picked yourself are in possession football's favour.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2024 at 00:24, wsk said:

I agree, the fans need energising again. I remember when the king power had one of the best atmospheres in the country. The football over recent times just seemed to of drained all of that!

Myth.

2016 was great for obvious reasons and 2017 had some great Euro nights.

There's been all too few of those times since. Last season was abysmal and thank God for Union FS doing SOMETHING.

8 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Myth.

2016 was great for obvious reasons and 2017 had some great Euro nights.

There's been all too few of those times since. Last season was abysmal and thank God for Union FS doing SOMETHING.

We did exist before 2016 you know…

2017 was a hangover season from winning the league. So it was expected (Apart from the champions league nights) the atmosphere fell off a little.

But the real turning point was appointment of Puel. Since then it has massively declined. To the point of even when we have been winning matches and getting promotion. It hasn’t been nearly half as enjoyable as it should be. We’ve had seasons in the championship, where we haven’t got promotion at the end, that have been far more enjoyable and exciting to watch

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2024 at 18:47, ceebeefox said:

Little Iceland beat us last week ( and it could’ve been by more) playing direct diags to 3 fast forwards. It still works with the right players, in our title year we had full backs who could tuck in and tackle , wingers who made opposition full backs run backwards Vardy’s goals and Shinji’s selfless grafting. It can still work.

Anything but Enzo ball is fine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2024 at 18:47, ceebeefox said:

Little Iceland beat us last week ( and it could’ve been by more) playing direct diags to 3 fast forwards. It still works with the right players, in our title year we had full backs who could tuck in and tackle , wingers who made opposition full backs run backwards Vardy’s goals and Shinji’s selfless grafting. It can still work.

And yet, Iceland were out qualified by Luxembourg in their group. It’s nice to be able to do it in a one off friendly, but you have to have a system that works over the marathon. 

• Like 2

On 10/06/2024 at 00:24, wsk said:

I agree, the fans need energising again. I remember when the king power had one of the best atmospheres in the country. The football over recent times just seemed to of drained all of that!

I thought the West Brom and Southampton home games were effing brilliant. Plymouth away looked decent on my tv. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OldBob said:

We did exist before 2016 you know…

2017 was a hangover season from winning the league. So it was expected (Apart from the champions league nights) the atmosphere fell off a little.

But the real turning point was appointment of Puel. Since then it has massively declined. To the point of even when we have been winning matches and getting promotion. It hasn’t been nearly half as enjoyable as it should be. We’ve had seasons in the championship, where we haven’t got promotion at the end, that have been far more enjoyable and exciting to watch

Obviously but the King Power has never really been rocking aside from a handful of games pre-2016. The move to the new ground was followed by a fair few years of stagnation, half full stands in the Levein and Kelly abyss and obviously relegation. It took a long while to get atmosphere going until the winning & promotion momentum Pearson built up.

I get what you're saying about Puel but you're talking about a hangover after winning the league and that's the same issue. It's not just the style of football it's the anti-climax after winning the league. I've sat in front of people last season who were saying the exact same thing, the buzz isn't the same, the title was great, Ranieri blah blah. One guy was even saying the mate he borrowed the ticket from had barely been down since 2018 because he felt nothing would top winning the league. There's going to be a good few people like that. You could have had Klopp, a second coming of O'Neill or even 5 years of Ranieri but winning the league completed football for them.

8 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Obviously but the King Power has never really been rocking aside from a handful of games pre-2016. The move to the new ground was followed by a fair few years of stagnation, half full stands in the Levein and Kelly abyss and obviously relegation. It took a long while to get atmosphere going until the winning & promotion momentum Pearson built up.

I get what you're saying about Puel but you're talking about a hangover after winning the league and that's the same issue. It's not just the style of football it's the anti-climax after winning the league. I've sat in front of people last season who were saying the exact same thing, the buzz isn't the same, the title was great, Ranieri blah blah. One guy was even saying the mate he borrowed the ticket from had barely been down since 2018 because he felt nothing would top winning the league. There's going to be a good few people like that. You could have had Klopp, a second coming of O'Neill or even 5 years of Ranieri but winning the league completed football for them.

Atmosphere wise, nothing will compare to the 2016 season but to say we only had a handful of games that it was rocking is just not true. I could point to the obvious seasons when we had successful campaigns like winning league 1 or getting promotion from the championship but even seasons that didn’t materialise at the end of them, had an all round better atmosphere at the King Power. The Sven era or the seasons with Pearson where we didn’t get promotion.  

Agree with your point about there being a feeling of us never getting to those heights again after winning the league. I do think that was factor, because even I began not being as bothered when we lost games as I would have before 2016. But I think now it’s been a couple of years since that season, the hunger is back for seeing our club do the very best it can.

IMHO it isn’t a matter of tiki taka vs direct. It’s about having the flexibility to adapt depending on the opposition, the players available, and probably a range of other factors. Only the very rich clubs can afford to be stubborn, because they can afford to pay for the very best talent to fulfill the manager’s vision of how football should be played. Wholly inappropriate for a club like Leicester, particularly in current circumstances.

• Like 4

I guess this poll was inevitable as it has dominated a lot of the managerial discussions.

I agree with wigston, whilst I find direct football more enjoyable, ultimately my current issue with tika taka is that we dont have the means to supply a squad for it, so if we had a manager who was flexible, played it when its good to play it, but go more hybrid when its not so good to play it, I probably wouldnt have an issue with that providing the decisions were being made correctly, the problems come when the manager is stubborn and puts tika taka above results and pushes players not comfortable with it to play it.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

I think if we could see after 46 games that in the majority of them we won because of Enzo's philosophy then we would maybe accept the long periods of boring play. Even then it's hard to justify a spectator sport having so many prolonged periods of passiveness. 

But I could name so many more games that we won down to things like the opposition just not taking chances and us having more quality. There was no example of the added security at the back with the inverted full backs. We were exposed time and time again by poor attacks. We left our wingers isolated. The list goes on and on. I could pick it all apart for hours. It just wasn't the reason we went up and Chelsea fans are in for a shock. I honestly want Cooper more than Potter because of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not related to us and I appreciate we're only 2 games into the tournament but refreshed to see how direct Germany and Switzerland have been!

None of this 'breaking Scotland/Hungary down' nonsense, I mean they're both pretty terrible, but regardless normally there would many advocating a slow, tepid build up to break such opposition down instead of fighting it with directness.

Long may it continue.

Mind you, next up, Spain. Hopefully Croatia don't play the way Rodri wants them to.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

I’m never a fan of these false dichotomies where one tactic is presented as pragmatic and flexible and the other some rigid dogma that is incapable of change. 

We lost games we should have won; we won games we should have lost. Sometimes we scored goals after 40 passes; sometimes we scored goals after 4 passes. We were pretty bloody pragmatic. 

Now we seem to want to embrace a poverty of ambition because we think we’re not suitable for a certain style. It’s not for the likes of us. We should get back in our box and play some imagined ‘direct’ football better suited to a club such as ours and our status.