Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ithuriel

Air accidents

For some reason a video popped up on my Youtube feed and after watching it, I just found this stuff interesting in that so often people think things can never happen to them and they push ahead with bad decisions regardless.

Mentour Pilot is the best for this stuff on YouTube IMO. For long reads, search Admiral Cloudberg.

Separately, I saw this insanity recently: Aeroflot Flight 593, where the pilot let his kids fly a passenger jet, and they caused it to crash.

Animation here. The passengers must’ve been fvcking terrified.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Mentour Pilot is the best for this stuff on YouTube IMO. For long reads, search Admiral Cloudberg.

Separately, I saw this insanity recently: Aeroflot Flight 593, where the pilot let his kids fly a passenger jet, and they caused it to crash.

Animation here. The passengers must’ve been fvcking terrified.

Air travel since the 70s has been boringly safe for the most part, so we increasingly have to rely on this sort of heady idiocy to bring some excitement into the mix again, although LEADING AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER REDACTED FOR LEGAL REASONS are of course doing their bit as well with their QUALITY CONTROL SYSTEM REDACTED that seems set on bringing back the golden age of planes falling to bits in mid air or randomly going out of control. 

Before that era it's amazing that anyone got on an aircraft at all. Ran out of fuel. Wings fell off. Caught fire. Bit foggy so crashed into house. Crashed because everyone went to one side to look out the window. Fly straight into mountain that wasn't meant to be there

• Like 1

always been fascinated by air accidents. Have consumed most of the videos and read a lot of the reports of many crashes over the years.

In fact I probably have morbid fascination with disasters and accidents in general - which I put down to my time growing up in the 80's. Thankfully we live in time now where such disasters are very rare but in those few short years of the mid to late 80's there seemed to be something awful happening all the time.

These are just off the top of my head - and all in the space of 4 years I think!

Heysel Stadium 

Valley Parade

Kings Cross Fire

Hillsborough

Lockerbie

Kegworth Air Crash

Herald of Free Enterprise capsize

Chernobyl

Exxon Valdez

Mexico City earthquake

JAL 123 crash

Manchester Airport crash

Air India bombing

Challenger disaster

13 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I read recently (can't remember where, so no link) that in the last 15 years in America, there have been 6 passenger deaths in scheduled flight plane crashes.  3 were in one of those tiny planes in Alaska. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_accidents_and_incidents_involving_commercial_aircraft_in_the_United_States

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

My rule of thumb is to never fly regionally in South America, Asia and Africa.

Avianca is affectionately called Avinunca in Colombia.

Nunca - the Spanish for ‘never’.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I read recently (can't remember where, so no link) that in the last 15 years in America, there have been 6 passenger deaths in scheduled flight plane crashes.  3 were in one of those tiny planes in Alaska. 

Recently it has been reported of two separate incidents of near misses in the US, I think one at JFK if I recall correctly.

I must say though I do find images of aircrafts, before an accident, really freaky. Sounds stupid as people take pictures of aircraft all the time (me included) but there's even a picture of the Boeing 757 from Flight 93, at Manchester airport, only three days before 9/11. Sort of freaks me out.

4 hours ago, bovril said:

really enjoying this fiery death talk lads, keep it coming 

Without disregarding the mostly tragic outcomes, some of us have a kind of morbid curiosity about such things.

Whenever I attended fatal collisions, after dealing with the incident and the unfortunate victims and, as part of the winding down process, my colleague and I would ponder over what might have happened and how it came to be.

If I hadn't been a paramedic, I'd have "loved" to have been a road traffic collision investigator.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

How a perfectly functionaly aircraft with 228 souls on board was flown into the ocean by it's pilots who didn't realise the nose was pitched up in a stall.

I've read about this one more than any other aircraft accident.

Still scary that the crew didn't know what was going on and it led to a stall.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

How a perfectly functionaly aircraft with 228 souls on board was flown into the ocean by it's pilots who didn't realise the nose was pitched up in a stall.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I've read about this one more than any other aircraft accident.

Still scary that the crew didn't know what was going on and it led to a stall.

If I remember correctly, the inexperienced pilot of the 2 that were in the cockpit before the captain eventually arrived was holding the nose up as an instinctive reaction to the plane seemingly dropping at an alarming rate. They failed to recognise the stall until it was way too late

The one that gets me is the AeroPeru one where a maintenance worker left some sticky tape over a static pitot-tube. The subsequent confusing and conflicting air-speed and altitude readings, coupled with the fact it was a night-time flight, was enough to bring the plane down. They were getting over-speed and stall warnings at the same time.