Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Are you happy with Steve Cooper being appointed (as looks likely)?

Happy with Cooper?  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Happy with Cooper as manager?

• Yes
    • No

No, but that's only because I was set on Potter or Corberan. Willing to give him a chance. As others have said in the countless other threads, we need someone who is likely to not want to jump ship in the event of a possible relegation in 10 months time. He's not as bad as some people are making out.

It's just a sign of how far we've fallen and how dire the situation at the club is that he's the best option we can get in at the moment (no disrespect intended to him). The fact that he's still willing to come in despite the situation the club is in says all I need to know for now.

I'll support anyone we bring in

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

How are Teflon John and Whelan still here after over seeing this absolute car crash…. Quite unbelievable 

You mean the recent immediate promotion?

I'm looking at this with a level head so here goes...

I'm sure we weren't happy when Ex forest boy Martin O Neil  came and when Wes Morgan came.

We arent as appealing a club as people might make out.

That's it...

I've put yes, albeit begrudgingly. He's proven to give younger players a chance which is something we are going to have to focus on both in the Academy and in our transfer approach, I think his record at the premier league leaves something to be desired, but he was out of the relegation zone at a Forest team that really scatter gunned the transfers and rumours suggest he was effectively removed from a lot of the transfer process. This does leave me with concerns over his ability to find a player capable of this level. The football wasn't especially exciting but our options are limited. 

If given the choice I'd prefer Corberan or Potter over Cooper, but if it saves us 5-6m (larger wages for potter + his team, or having to buy out Corberan and his team) that could be the money needed to bring someone like Cags back on loan with an option to buy, so maybe signing someone out of work could benefit us if we are clever. 

I'd have taken him during our mini crisis towards the end of last season, but having been given a month to properly think about it and look at our options, I'd back him but would prefer other candidates. He seems a likeable guy and seems honest, hopefully he can get the players onside because we need them running through brick walls for us.

• Like 1

I'm not happy with it but if he manages to keep us up this season with the likely points deduction we will start with and a barely strengthened squad, itll be a bigger acheievement than what Pearson (Cambiasso) did without question.

• Like 2

Can anyone actually tell me what kind of football Cooper plays?

I watched his Forest in the Prem but to be honest couldn't really nail down what the hell was going on because the team was always changing and it was backs against the wall stuff from early on.

Does he have a set philosophy or is he likely to adapt to the players he has?

10 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Rudkin is one of many that have to fall. Tops basically got 2 choices. Keep putting all his faith in these incompetent clowns or get rid start again and get actual qualified people in 

I would say for all of Rudkins flaws, managers typically have been one of his stronger points, they haven't always been inspiring but we've done well with managers. Nige, Ranieri, Shakey got the job on the back of a massive response when Ranieri went, Puel left the club in a far better position than he inherited in terms of players and the fact we were a far more dynamic team when he left, Rodgers was fantastic until he wasn't, and it's Tops decision to keep him on that spoiled it, Maresca got us up. 

Rudkin has many faults in his role but IMO his management appointments have been solid. He's probably going to spend 40m on non league players but I hope he's got it right with cooper lol

3 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Can anyone actually tell me what kind of football Cooper plays?

I watched his Forest in the Prem but to be honest couldn't really nail down what the hell was going on because the team was always changing and it was backs against the wall stuff from early on.

Does he have a set philosophy or is he likely to adapt to the players he has?

Turgid

45 minutes ago, jerry said:

And yet many thought the Maresca style of play would not transfer to the Premiership with the players at our disposal. Won the League but still managed to lose 11 games in the Championship too.

Yeah, I’m not endorsing the style or saying it would have worked in the PL. I’m just saying that it’s a departure from the club’s clear trajectory that was established under Maresca. It’s either a change in strategy or an indication that the club never had one 

The atmosphere in the ground is going to be horrific next season. A manager who most fans don't want, playing horrific football, with a team that isn't really up to the required level because we have no money to spend. It feels like we have the potential to be Sheff U levels of bad. Like them, we're also probably going to flog our best player in the close season. Feeling utterly deflated tbh. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

The appointment doesn't excite me but i'm not against him, I guess you could say i'm sitting on the fence.

I'm not a stat man, they are often used to force arguments and alot are mainly useless, that said, his stats to look quite damning.

I'm pleased we didn't get Potter, his football doesn't enthrall me, his teams don't score and i've seen laughable quotes from the past which would quite simply infuriate me if he came out with it here. Add to that the rumours i've heard about him engineering an exit clause before he's even started, it's a no thanks from me - Managers/Players who didn't want to be here are how we've ultimately ended up in the mess we're in.

I'm also buoyed he's not a pure out and out possession man - something we've wasted trying to be for the past 7 years, I think he can and will play possession football (It'll be by instruction) but can and will adapt to atleast try something different.

He's not my first choice, far from it, and i'm not going to say it's going to work out, but he's ahead of Potter which is where I thought we were heading last night/this morning.

This, I would have preferred Corberan but I am just happy that we haven't signed Potter, AKA Brendan Rodgers V2. Potter would have most likely been an unmitigated disaster for the club considering he would join us with one foot out of the door already.