Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Are you happy with Steve Cooper being appointed (as looks likely)?

Happy with Cooper?  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Happy with Cooper as manager?

• Yes
    • No

16 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

No 3a29a6c5-c53c-4269-b3c7-1d73de28a150.thumb.jpeg.921ab86f2d2117bf21d7c2b056f040f9.jpeg

Look at those last 4 stats. In fact, look at all the figures. Not much there to feel good about.

My answer is no, I'm not happy.

It's a big if, and it's going to take a good start, but the one thing I do like about Cooper is he reminds of an old school personality who can build a relationship with the fans. Lacked that with Enzo and Rodgers, who were more interested in themselves. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Look at those last 4 stats. In fact, look at all the figures. Not much there to feel good about.

My answer is no, I'm not happy.

Without want to be facetious, I wonder how that stats compare with your team that season. I'd imagine in many of the categories you'd look better but ultimately there's only one stat that matters.

3 minutes ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Without want to be facetious, I wonder how that stats compare with your team that season. I'd imagine in many of the categories you'd look better but ultimately there's only one stat that matters.

You was lucky to stay up.

We only went down because our manager wanted to get sacked from game one and the board didn't react quick enough, and Everton imploded. 

You spent 20 years in the Championship of course you are going to love the bloke he got you up with a dodgy VAR decision. 

He is a good manager for a team in the Championship.

• Like 1

24 hours on from the news breaking, I’m over my initial underwhelmed feeling and I’m ready to get behind the manager and give him a fair chance to prove himself.

SC will be the 30th permanent manager we’ve had since I’ve been supporting us.  Other than the outliers who were either really good and transformed us when we most needed them (Bloomfield, Jock, Little, MON, NFP) or were really bad and seriously set us back (McLintoch, Taylor,  Holloway) I’ve always thought managers get too much abuse when things go badly and too much credit when they go well.  This will probably be no different.

He’s got a good reputation as a man-manager, and team-builder, and his coaching and tactical skills were good enough for LFC and the FA (where he succeeded in both jobs) so comparisons with his stats at Forest are pretty meaningless. Different context, different time, different players.

As for the concern that his appointment doesn’t fit with the Chairman’s view of how he wants us to play, we all think the Chairman is an idiot and out of his depth, so what’s wrong with that?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Forest fan here in peace. Just thought I'd come in and offer my two penneth on Steve Cooper based on the 2 and a bit years he was here.

You are absolutely right in that when we came up we basically gave up the ball and played on the counter with Brennan Johnson. It wasn't pretty to watch and at times we looked like a lower league team that had been parachuted in to the Prem.

Cooper did used to say though that it wasn't how he wanted to play but needs must, which does show an adaptability rarely seen in managers who have Plan A and that's it as it's "their philosophy". We also switched from the 3-4-3 that we were promoted with (had at your place in the 4-0) to a 4-3-3 which made us much more solid. So you'll have a manager that is prepared to change it up if it's not working.

He also had a ridiculous number of players come in to the club, the majority of which he'd have had no say in whatsoever and had to mould together a team capable of staying up. We also had an injury crisis that was so bad it called for an investigation into the club's medical department. 

One thing he obviously had at Forest with the fans was credit in the bank after miraculously taking us up. Cooper was brilliant at building a relationship with fans, he knows exactly what to say and when to say it and he was so popular at the CG that some fans would've preferred to go back to the Championship with him then stay up with someone else. It was reported that he was actually going to be sacked after the 4-0 game at yours but fan support saved him. He won't have that at Leicester so my fear is if it starts badly it could be tough to turn around.

So to sum up I'd say that Forest fans generally are more concerned you could stay up now you have Cooper which says a lot but be prepared to suffer sometimes in games to get results.

Lots of players and injury crisis. Just gets better.

4 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

It would indicate a continuation of the "vision", you're right. But not many were enjoying that vision. I wouldn't be so sure that Cooper wouldn't continue this if we are in a better position in the future.

Right now, it needs pragmatism. Something I certainly didn't see from Enzo. He looked happier being pounded by Chelsea 4-2 than he did beating Southampton 5-0. I certainly don't think Potter would have been much better in that regard.

I feel more hopeful with Cooper than either of them. I think if they want to continue the boring possession based football there is time for that in the future. 

I mean the simple fact is we've just given Vestergaard a new three year contract to play in a depressionball, 10 men in your own box and hoof it at a quick lad approach. waste of a contract that now, there has to be a long range plan and clear continuity, regardless of whether you like the plan or not, anything else is a waste of money 

No, but I'll still back him. He is there to do a job all the same.

That said, the hierarchy just finds new ways to keep disappointing me. Sack the lot of them. Think a Board Satisfaction survey needs to be raised.

Edited by Bezzanator89

Quotes from a guy I used to work with and a big forest fan: 

Firstly he’s very charismatic - he’ll really try to get under the skin of the club & community and engage with the fans. Which I think is important for clubs like ours, you really feel like he buys into it.

On the pitch, the football during the promotion season was really exciting - fast, counterattacking stuff that got you off your seat. It was too open when we went up as the PL is ruthless, we took a few hammerings (including at Leicester!) and so we then largely went low-block, counterattacking. Which did the job but some fans didn’t like it, we particularly struggled away from home. It’ll be interesting to see if he changes that at a more settled club & with a full pre-season.

• Like 1