Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Positives on the impending Cooper appointment

6 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Biggest positive for me is that I was dreading the season starting with Enzo and I’m excited to see how we do with Coops.

I think he has the right character for the battle we face 

You think he has the right face for the battle? :D 

9 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Tieleman’s ‘stock dropped off a cliff’?

Explain.. he’s now pretty much playing each week for a team who have made the Champion’s league. And I expect earning a lot more money?

🤷‍♂️

Couldn't get a game at first under Emery and seemingly had to change his ways, he certainly looked a lot fitter when I last saw him compared to here! Even then only 17 starts the rest as a substitute. For what he was contributing here for the last couple of years we were well rid of him.

He was a part of the problem of why we got relegated with his lethargy and attitude. Deserved to be benched yet Rodgers and then Smith hadn't the balls. Probably one of previous our I dislike the most. Hope he rots at Villa because they seemingly won't put up with his nonsense. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, foxer said:

I'm now very positive about Cooper being appointed. He's clearly buzzing to have the job. It feels the first step in returning to a team who will graft, while playing some decent football when opportunities present themselves. Looking forward to seeing who we manage to sign under him and more importantly, which of the youngsters he gives opportunities to. 

Any news on his backroom staff?

Seperate thread for backroom staff mate.  Currently nothing confirmed I don't think.  

• Like 1

Just now, South Notts NFFC said:

I'm not quite sure who Leicester fans thought they would attract but for you at the moment (newly promoted but potentially back in the Championship next year) he is an ideal appointment. 

Very true of course, but a PL club will always be pretty attractive to managers?

Plus with the constraints/points deductions etc we could be seen as a bit of a free hit - Shouldn't be too reputation damaging for the manager if things don't go well this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Notts NFFC said:

I'm not quite sure who Leicester fans thought they would attract but for you at the moment (newly promoted but potentially back in the Championship next year) he is an ideal appointment. 

I think there is definitely an element of getting used to a new reality. We were an established PL club and it’s a combination of FFP and very poor management on and off the pitch that has got us into this situation.

SC might be a “sensible” signing, but he’s not an exciting one. I don’t think anyone was expecting to attract Pep or Carlo, but maybe someone of the Maresca mould. We were establishing a set style and structure through the club in terms of the way we play (although many didn’t like it). Some will see SC’s appointment as further evidence that the hierarchy have no particular sense of direction and are just in reactive mode. 

The one point I would take issue with and many have said it: is that SC or A N other manager are a good fit if we go down. That’s rarely an approach that works. Not least it’s an extremely negative mindset (even if it’s realistic), but following relegation rebuilds are usually undertaken by a new manager as the team will probably need a fresh impetus and approach 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Notts NFFC said:

A manager that was sacked by Forest who were in relegation form (in a normal season) was always going to be very underwhelming. The other thing is it's a complete diversion from the possession-based managers we've had over the past 6/7 years. The club said when Maresca left that they are looking for a manager to continue the long-term vision. I, and I'm sure many others, were thinking "how the hell does Steve Cooper fit into that?" after we've had Puel, Rodgers and Maresca. 

A Forest fan I spoke to did say that how they played in the championship was much different to how they played for the bulk of the time that he was managing in the Premier League. He also said that the number of signings was clearly at odds with what he wanted. 

3 hours ago, South Notts NFFC said:

I think the issue is that the media widely reported that it would be either Potter or Corberan (50/50 split as to who we preferred). Leicester fans understood that we might not attract Potter due to our circumstances, but the vast majority preferred Corberan to Cooper. So it was initially a disappointment when Cooper was announced, as it was felt the only reason we got in the less preferred option was that he was £4m cheaper. That's not so much the case now after researching more into Cooper. 

23 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets sold in Winter window if Cooper doesn't use him.

Verstergaard isn’t going to get a better deal than the £80k he’ll be on a week for the next 3 years. If it goes badly for him form-wise we’ll have another Danny Ward problem. We haven’t learned a thing. 

Guest Col city fan
9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Couldn't get a game at first under Emery and seemingly had to change his ways, he certainly looked a lot fitter when I last saw him compared to here! Even then only 17 starts the rest as a substitute. For what he was contributing here for the last couple of years we were well rid of him.

He was a part of the problem of why we got relegated with his lethargy and attitude. Deserved to be benched yet Rodgers and then Smith hadn't the balls. Probably one of previous our I dislike the most. Hope he rots at Villa because they seemingly won't put up with his nonsense. 

I think you’ve got your blue tints on and have sour grapes.

Tielemans was a crucial contributor to the success we had under Rodgers and, I believe, chose to leave the club when it was clear we were turning to shit.

He’s a bright bloke and could see the writing was on the wall, I believe.

So, he got out, didn’t have to play in the championship, didn’t risk his place in the international team and slowly worked his way back to becoming a good Premiership player. Oh, and got a pay rise into the bargain.

I’d have done exactly the same thing and I see Tielemans as one of the best players we’ve had in recent times. He knew exactly when we were going to shite and, as stated before, would you have wanted to have played directly in front the likes of Amartey and Ward? At Premiership level? Not a chance.

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think you’ve got your blue tints on and have sour grapes.

Tielemans was a crucial contributor to the success we had under Rodgers and, I believe, chose to leave the club when it was clear we were turning to shit.

He’s a bright bloke and could see the writing was on the wall, I believe.

So, he got out, didn’t have to play in the championship, didn’t risk his place in the international team and slowly worked his way back to becoming a good Premiership player. Oh, and got a pay rise into the bargain.

I’d have done exactly the same thing and I see Tielemans as one of the best players we’ve had in recent times. He knew exactly when we were going to shite and, as stated before, would you have wanted to have played directly in front the likes of Amartey and Ward? At Premiership level? Not a chance.

Yes you're right, blue tinted specs because although obviously to a lesser extent, I see both Tielemans and Rodgers as two main protagonists of our decline. Apart from the odd goal and slide rule pass, I think a lot of Leicester supporters rated Tielemans far beyond what he was worth. It's easy to remember the odd stunning goal or pass but for the most part in games he was lazy, hiding and gave the ball away a hell of a lot. He did do a lot of demonstrative pointing if some people get impressed with that. Lest we forget, even for his national side in the last World Cup, he was slated by the Belgian press and given a 3/10!

Of course he wasn't as culpable as Rodgers but was pleased as punch when he left and one of my least liked players we've had over a long period of time. Noticeably he couldn't get a sniff at Villa under Emery until he changed his ways because he was neither fit enough, worked hard enough or good enough. Just my opinion of course and I recognise that to some he's still a fans favourite.

• Like 2

Guest FoxesTalker

Like many others, not overly convinced this appointment will work but it’s also possible Cooper ends up being the right fit for next season. One of the obvious  positives is his character, and he really built something at Forest so hopefully that can happen here in time. 

I cannot understand the negativity and childish remarks on this board.

You have to give this man a chance, the Club has.

He may turn out to be a decent coach, the Forest fans certainly took to him.

If it doesn’t work out then so be it, that’s life, he won’t be the first coach to fail.

Personally I hope he is successful, he has a really tough job on his hands and 

needs the support of the fans, so let’s be grown up about it and suppress those 

negative waves, as the great Donald Sutherland used to say…….

• Like 3

On 25/06/2024 at 14:08, brucey said:

I think the issue is that the media widely reported that it would be either Potter or Corberan (50/50 split as to who we preferred). Leicester fans understood that we might not attract Potter due to our circumstances, but the vast majority preferred Corberan to Cooper. So it was initially a disappointment when Cooper was announced, as it was felt the only reason we got in the less preferred option was that he was £4m cheaper. That's not so much the case now after researching more into Cooper. 

I imagine we would have got Potter if we allowed him to have a clause to manage England and the board deemed it too risky with the position potentially becoming available in a few weeks and causing disruption.

This is a good appointment, a manager that has survived in the Premier League with an incompetent and basket case ownership - something we need right now. 

Don’t want him, don’t rate him but as long as he gets us playing attacking football then so be it. If he even tries to park the bus vs some of crap in this division then he get can f*****. 

he can’t brainwash us talking about the quality of this division, the bottom 7/8 are crap. We’ve seen it first hand, you don’t have to be particularly good to stay up, just competent. 

Edited by AmarteyAndChill

The positives for me are the low levels of expectation, so if we are the underdogs this season so be it. This could work in our favour. As long as we finish above 3 other teams that will be an enormous success.

I honestly find it disgraceful that people have to resort to making jokes about his facial appearance. It's not something one can control. From what I've read from Forest fans, he has a great character and a genuinely nice person.

I wonder how those people look like behind the safety of their keyboards. They're obviously lacking character, would be perfect if they resemble fat Voldemorts too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

I cannot understand the negativity and childish remarks on this board.

You have to give this man a chance, the Club has.

He may turn out to be a decent coach, the Forest fans certainly took to him.

If it doesn’t work out then so be it, that’s life, he won’t be the first coach to fail.

Personally I hope he is successful, he has a really tough job on his hands and 

needs the support of the fans, so let’s be grown up about it and suppress those 

negative waves, as the great Donald Sutherland used to say…….

Absolutely bang on.

Get behind the man and the club.

He seems like a decent bloke, with the right ideas and the passion to be part of something.