Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Positives on the impending Cooper appointment

15 minutes ago, RyCleary said:

Concerning about prioritising experience in the prem. As a club our model needs to be buy young and cheap and sell high, not drop stupid wages on journeyman 

Where does it say that : a) we're targeting 'journeymen'; and b) that we're offering 'stupid wages'?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Where does it say that : a) we're targeting 'journeymen'; and b) that we're offering 'stupid wages'?

All we can afford with premier league experience is journeymen and stupid wages based on literally all recent history surrounding our wage structure

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RyCleary said:

All we can afford with premier league experience is journeymen and stupid wages based on literally all recent history surrounding our wage structure

The sentence in the article reads: "Cooper and Glover are aiming to strike a balance between young talent and experience, with the emphasis more on signing players who already know the league."

This seems totally sensible to me. If we went all in on youth from the lower divisions and PL under-23 squads, we'd be taking a massive risk that would likely end in failure. Surely it's better to strike a balance between promising young players and those who have already proven they can cut it in the PL and can show the younger players how it's done? They won't necessarily have to be 'journeymen' - sometimes you can pick up quality PL players from the bigger clubs who want a bit more first team action or just need a fresh start. Albrighton is a good example of this. Also Harry Winks.

Re: wages, the club has worked hard to bring the wage bill down over the past few seasons. It may be easy to assume that they're going to make exactly the same mistakes all over again because, you know, Rudkin or something, but I suspect they won't.

Either way, your response to a sentence which literally just said that we'll be trying to strike a blend between youth and experience (which nearly all successful teams do) seemed a little over-the-top :D

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Very good read in the Telegraph about Cooper and his plans for the club: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/07/08/steve-cooper-leicester-city-zoom-calls-transfer-news-coach/

Excited by this. 

Grows the belief about him being the right fit. For me, probably the best part of this article is about Cooper delving into the move from Filbert Street and wanting to know more about the dynamics of the stadium. The ‘all as one’ mentality which is mentioned is exactly what’s needed next season.

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

The sentence in the article reads: "Cooper and Glover are aiming to strike a balance between young talent and experience, with the emphasis more on signing players who already know the league."

This seems totally sensible to me. If we went all in on youth from the lower divisions and PL under-23 squads, we'd be taking a massive risk that would likely end in failure. Surely it's better to strike a balance between promising young players and those who have already proven they can cut it in the PL and can show the younger players how it's done? They won't necessarily have to be 'journeymen' - sometimes you can pick up quality PL players from the bigger clubs who want a bit more first team action or just need a fresh start. Albrighton is a good example of this. Also Harry Winks.

Re: wages, the club has worked hard to bring the wage bill down over the past few seasons. It may be easy to assume that they're going to make exactly the same mistakes all over again because, you know, Rudkin or something, but I suspect they won't.

Either way, your response to a sentence which literally just said that we'll be trying to strike a blend between youth and experience (which nearly all successful teams do) seemed a little over-the-top :D

As a disclaimer, well aware how reactionary I can be when it comes to Leicester City ha.

In saying that, I’m extrapolating from this article and to other rumours. Apparently we were in for Sosa who looks great but Alan Nixon flagged Cooper wanted to prioritise experience, the same wording as Percy. 

Those are the types of signings I don’t want to miss out on as they essentially fund our clubs model. A few experienced heads is all well and good but not prioritising resale value will kill us 

There is definitely a balance to be struck between youth and experience.

We’ll never know but my guess is we stay up in 22/23 if we had signed premier league experience over Tete, Souttar and Kristensen. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2024 at 07:28, CrazyKopCorner said:

After yesterdays meltdown what are the positives of Steve Cooper's appointment:- 

I'll start in that he seems a pretty decent bloke and his F@rest side at least looked to be playing for him even though they were crap 

Just think it’s worth mentioning that despite having an inferior team, they did of course stay up at our expense. So that in itself shows he’s the type of manager who can maximise the ability of his squad. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoxesTalker said:

Just think it’s worth mentioning that despite having an inferior team, they did of course stay up at our expense. So that in itself shows he’s the type of manager who can maximise the ability of his squad. 

Very good point and was probably what I was thinking too although you expressed it much better

• Thanks 1

I like how he speaks, or certainly being reported of how he's speaking and implementing things.

Something we've lacked in recent years but simple, fundamental parts of what I expect.

Whether he'll be allowed to successfully implement them or whether he'll be forced to pretend we're something we're not is another thing.

Definitely seems to be a players manager and the rapport with him and the players looks to be very good

For all of Enzo's + ve man management skills it must have felt extremely restrictive at times for the players  

The more I see the more I like Steve Cooper 

5 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Definitely seems to be a players manager and the rapport with him and the players looks to be very good

For all of Enzo's + ve man management skills it must have felt extremely restrictive at times for the players  

You say that but most of the players spoke incredibly highly of him, Winks said he was the best manager he’s worked under. I know they’re likely to be positive about their current manager but it always seemed to be that the players really enjoyed playing for him and enjoyed having so much of the ball. It’s definitely more fun than sitting back and defending for 90 minutes anyway.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dusty said:

You say that but most of the players spoke incredibly highly of him, Winks said he was the best manager he’s worked under. I know they’re likely to be positive about their current manager but it always seemed to be that the players really enjoyed playing for him and enjoyed having so much of the ball. It’s definitely more fun than sitting back and defending for 90 minutes anyway.

Yes I agree and I'm not having a go at Enzo because his man management was clearly exceptional - just looking at positives in terms of the rigidity of his play 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

What have you seen of him with the players? Hardly anything on Facebook or Twitter