Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Positives on the impending Cooper appointment

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

We also had peak Vardy, Mahrez, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs etc

This is from a Forest fan.. 

This is what's frustrating to me. Cooper's football this season was an insult to terrorism-ball. The worst football I've ever seen at the City Ground, even worse than when we were floundering in League One. We've played better football under Nuno, albeit still not overly attractive

Cant be worse than Enzo borefest

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If we was in the Championship this appointment would make total sense as he has good qualities and has proven himself with Swansea and Forest down there I just don’t think he has to know how for the Prem especially with our group of players currently who have spent the last year playing the enzo way.

yes he did keep Forest up but they were awful and lucky, the fact we went down and Everton finished below them shows that any other season they would have been relegated.

But they did stay up, and going down was all anyone expected. Losing so many players when they went up, and then having to integrate 22 new players into a squad is wild, nobody gave them a chance, it seemed like a totally thankless task to attempt to create a functioning unit from that starting point. 

I agree that ideally, you'd want to keep a manager with a roughly similar style, but maybe that's what he's agreed to; it is what he preaches. Potter would have ben ideal to keep consistency, but he's obviously decided against it. Corberan isn't the same style as Maresca, so even if we went there it's a totally different style of play. Not mant do play the exact way Maresca did. 

I totally get some concerns, but the total obliteration of the guys career like it's nothing is very harsh IMO. 

• Like 4

Most Forest fans seemingly didn’t want him sacked and were of the opinion that he would have kept them up. Seems to me the fans fully blamed the board for signing so many players and felt Steve Cooper was doing a good job trying to tame the circus upstairs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Levi Port said:

He’ll be hungry, it’s a big move for him, if he gets this wrong a Prem side wouldn’t hire him. That hunger, his personality and his ability with young players makes me think he could do well here. He’s a great bloke and will lead the football club with class unlike a lot in the Prem. 

Top will have appointed him on the premise that he’s coming here to play football, I’d be very surprised if we play as Forest did. 

Wasn’t at all who I wanted personally but I’m over it and i do see many positives 

My gut instinct is that he will keep us up and do okay here, maybe bring us stability and hopefully put us into the mid table again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Swansea supporting mate says very good with young players who will all improve (same happened at Forest), will create siege mentality, but the football is appalling. 

Difficult one, really; they finished 10th the season before he joined and then 15th, 10th and 14th after he left. They've only been remotely competitive under him since they were relegated. Went to Forest and played some really exciting stuff. 

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

We also had peak Vardy, Mahrez, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs etc

This is from a Forest fan.. 

This is what's frustrating to me. Cooper's football this season was an insult to terrorism-ball. The worst football I've ever seen at the City Ground, even worse than when we were floundering in League One. We've played better football under Nuno, albeit still not overly attractive

Ha, we had hundreds of negative quotes for Enzo ball last year too. All I will do is see how he sets us up, how we do and judge on Leicester performances not Florists, that’s all I’m saying. There’s plenty of cases of perceived failures doing well with a different set of players. Claudio for one! I get behind whoever’s in charge at least for a season.

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Difficult one, really; they finished 10th the season before he joined and then 15th, 10th and 14th after he left. They've only been remotely competitive under him since they were relegated. Went to Forest and played some really exciting stuff. 

Where incidentally the manager’s were Graham Potter and Russell Martin. So out of the 3, Cooper was far and away the best. 

2 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Reports suggested board wanted a continuation of Enzos work. This isn't that. Feels like a big gamble but in truth reflective of the mess we are nowadays. 

This is what I find so confusing, it wasn’t just reports, Top himself stated he wanted someone to continue the style that was built.

Cooper often talks about demanding possession but his best season (getting Forest promoted) his team averaged 50% possession whilst in the championship and was known for being a counter attacking team? Confusing to me.

• Like 1

I'm happier with Cooper than I would have been with Potter.  Lets give him a chance and give him our support.  

I couldn't give a toss about his connections to Forest.  In fact ex-Forest personnel have always done well for us... O'Neill, Morgan, Gary Mills ..err... Alan Rodgers...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

In all seriousness,  I have no idea how it will turn out. The biggest negative people come up with is style of play, but he played very differently in his first season there compared to the premier league. He's preached that he likes entertaining attacking football, but he's also said he's realistic in achieving it. He explained to Forest the realities of the premier league; the ruthlessness of the finishing, etc, meant they were shipping too many goals, and he felt he had to change the style. They stopped up, so in the end, it was justified. 

Again this is bit of a myth, he played counter attacking football in the championship and the premier league.

The difference is premier league sides dominate with possession where as championship sides aren’t capable of that level of domination, hence why the first half of the season we was winning the way we were and the reason why Cooper’s championship possession stats look slightly better.

It was quality of opposition, not style of play.

I will back any manager until they give me a reason not to but this narrative that he’s a possession based manager is not true, at least evidence proves otherwise. Hence why this appointment is so confusing after the statements regarding wanting possession based management. I truly believe the club haven’t watched the footage and have based a decision from an interview as it doesn’t add up.

• Like 1

Good record of working with youth, and would be very good to see some of our promising youth who were on the fringes last season start to get game time. Particularly useful when we can't go on a shopping spree.

Likes to work with a smaller squad. Again works with transfer constraints.

Has recently kept a team up who were fancied for relegation. So appropriate experience.

Created a siege mentality at Forest - I feel like this squad need a bit of steel and resolve added. Look at hoe they handled the run-in versus how we did: we took 9 points under Smith, they took 11 at the same time, which included a win against Arsenal, a win against Brighton, and a draw against Chelsea.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

As far as we know, he's not mates with Guillem... 

Well that's a huge positive for me.