Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Positives on the impending Cooper appointment

3 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Again this is bit of a myth, he played counter attacking football in the championship and the premier league.

The difference is premier league sides dominate with possession where as championship sides aren’t capable of that level of domination, hence why the first half of the season we was winning the way we were and the reason why Cooper’s championship possession stats look slightly better.

It was quality of opposition, not style of play.

I will back any manager until they give me a reason not to but this narrative that he’s a possession based manager is not true, at least evidence proves otherwise. Hence why this appointment is so confusing after the statements regarding wanting possession based management. I truly believe the club haven’t watched the footage and have based a decision from an interview as it doesn’t add up.

The man literally explained that he choose to go more defensive in the premier league after they got pumped in a few games. In the first few games, as an example, they had 55.3% possession against the Spurs. 51.7% Posession against Everton. 52.7% against Bournmouth. After the 4-0 against us (when they had 48.4% against what was supposed to be a possession-based team), they started to concede possession far more than they did before hand. 

What narrative about him being a possession manager? I said he preaches attacking football, preferably in his interviews. In the championship, he took over a team bottom of the league with just four points from 8 games and had to transform the team. Their possession stats vary wildly, which you'd expect from a team in rapid transition, swinging wildly at times from 60%, 70%, and lots of mid-50s to some low stats in the 30's (where they pumped the other team by 4 or 5 goals). They certainly weren't subservient to others in terms of possession every game just to counter them. 

I totally get the point that we've gone from mr "pass, pass, pass, pass", but we tried to get Potter and obviously that's not come off. In terms of what style they want, I'd have to read the statements you are talking about. 

Rodgers went from nearly 58% possession to 47% when we went down, despite being a "possession" manager.  Players available and the situation clearly can dictate the stats. 

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

The man literally explained that he choose to go more defensive in the premier league after they got pumped in a few games. In the first few games, as an example, they had 55.3% possession against the Spurs. 51.7% Posession against Everton. 52.7% against Bournmouth. After the 4-0 against us (when they had 48.4% against what was supposed to be a possession-based team), they started to concede possession far more than they did before hand. 

What narrative about him being a possession manager? I said he preaches attacking football, preferably in his interviews. In the championship, he took over a team bottom of the league with just four points from 8 games and had to transform the team. Their possession stats vary wildly, which you'd expect from a team in rapid transition, swinging wildly at times from 60%, 70%, and lots of mid-50s to some low stats in the 30's (where they pumped the other team by 4 or 5 goals). They certainly weren't subservient to others in terms of possession every game just to counter them. 

I totally get the point that we've gone from mr "pass, pass, pass, pass", but we tried to get Potter and obviously that's not come off. In terms of what style they want, I'd have to read the statements you are talking about. 

Rodgers went from nearly 58% possession to 47% when we went down, despite being a "possession" manager.  Players available and the situation clearly can dictate the stats. 

We are not in the Championship.

16 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Maybe because we was in the Championship, no idea how you was bored senseless.

Because I found the style boring as hell in many many games. Far too many games where we hold 65% possession and the opposition end up with the near enough the same number of shots or more and we're all sat here saying "thank god they can't finish". I'm just randomly clicking around games on soccerbase and there is a raft of them that all follow the same sort of pattern eg. 

Screenshot2024-06-20at12_30_45.thumb.png.f290307a54beac0c775853beafba1b0b.pngScreenshot2024-06-20at12_30_30.thumb.png.9827b0444cd4bc5b2116bc5816955c63.png

All I ever heard on here was that the style was meant to stifle the opposition into few chances!

I can only talk about the games I saw, I've said plenty of times I took a step away from football as I really wasn't enjoying it any more. So maybe we were utterly amazing in the other game. 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We are not in the Championship.

Sorry I don't get your point. Someone said he didn't change his style in the premier league, when he literally said he did. And the possession stats plunged when he changed it. 

Realistically, we're a newly promoted team with a potential hefty points deduction and a lack of ability to spend. The fact that any half decent manager would be keen on joining is a miracle so I don't think we can afford to be picky. Potter clearly wasn't convinced and that's ok, you can't force someone to join if they don't want to.

In our position, bringing in a guy who got promoted from the championship recently and then kept Forest in the prem after a complete squad overhaul is a decent appointment. Some are acting as if bringing Cooper in is what's going to ruin the club but the damage has already been done at board level, we just have to accept that until that changes, this is the best we can do. We just need to survive this season by any means necessary and then we can reset the finances and build again from scratch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because I found the style boring as hell in many many games. Far too many games where we hold 65% possession and the opposition end up with the near enough the same number of shots or more and we're all sat here saying "thank god they can't finish". I'm just randomly clicking around games on soccerbase and there is a raft of them that all follow the same sort of pattern eg. 

Screenshot2024-06-20at12_30_45.thumb.png.f290307a54beac0c775853beafba1b0b.pngScreenshot2024-06-20at12_30_30.thumb.png.9827b0444cd4bc5b2116bc5816955c63.png

All I ever heard on here was that the style was meant to stifle the opposition into few chances!

I can only talk about the games I saw, I've said plenty of times I took a step away from football as I really wasn't enjoying it any more. So maybe we were utterly amazing in the other game. 

Thank you. This absolutely sums it up. We spent the first 10 awful games being told they'd be "another gear". What happened to that? 

It wasn't enjoyable. We weren't winning because of Enzo's amazing philosophy and I'm glad we don't have a new manager who subscribes to something that is killing football. 

• Like 2

I think realistically we have to look at the long term, we are coming up with a much weaker squad than we went down with last season, we don't have much to spend, we are facing a points deduction that could be up to 10 points or something ridiculous, If Potter came in, firstly he would command a bigger wage, secondly he would want to bring in his staff who would likely command a bigger wage having worked at Chelsea etc (remember we don't know what the ongoing situation is with Chelsea and the staff) and they could easily be still getting a paycheck from Chelsea that may end if they take another job. 
Then say Potter comes in, I'd be happy with it, but then we get slapped with -10 and go down, will he want to stick around? I think realistically he would leave at the first chance putting us back to square one, a new manager coming in and wanting a revamp. 

With Cooper, providing he shows the fans he is building something that we can clearly identify and we support (as for example Pearson was with the great escape), even if we go down we have a manager that will likely come down with us. 

THIS, is the attitude we need from our manager. Forget his Forest ties, if he comes in and takes this approach, I'll back him fully. 

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A lot of teams in the Championship just came and stuck 10 men behind the ball, they didn't even try given us a game most the time that's probably why you was bored senseless.

Under Cooper it will be the other way round teams will control the ball and we will have to chase it and hope we can get a few breaks as we are more than likely going to concede two goals in most games, if we are going off Coopers record at Forest in this league.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You stated something along the lines of he played a different style in the championship. Other than playing more of a low block off the ball, he played close to identical on the ball in the championship and in the premier league. 

You also have missed the bigger picture of my point, I’m not against Cooper. Do I find it underwhelming? Yes. My main point was our recruitment targets/extension of contracts will be based around a specific style of play. A style of play that does not suit Cooper’s style. Therefore the club failing with a “contingency plan”.

That ultimately sets up our current squad to potentially fail, Cooper to potentially fail by not having the right players for his system and new recruits to fail due to not being the right fit resulting in millions of pounds potentially wasted once again. 

In a recent article (I think it was Tanner, but not sure) they stated the board wanted someone to work closely with Glover, stating it was key to find someone who identifies with the same style of play. Think about it, all of Glover’s targets are going to be suitable for a possession based team. Therefore Cooper is going to have to adjust once again, which is fine but it’s not playing to a managers strengths. 

I want Cooper to succeed I really do, I’m just sick of the clubs scatter gun approach of different styles and philosophies. It weren’t too long ago they want the RB template hence Jessie Marsh being offered the job, now it’s Manchester City. There’s no clear plan for anyone to work too and ultimately shows no clear direction. 

• Like 1

It would seem he is good at working with young, homegrown players, and giving them a chance. We really need to work on this as we have failed to develop talent at Seagrave. The template for the future needs to be, pick up younger players,improve them and sell them on at a profit. We kept players like Teilemans for too long and he underperformed in his final season.

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

You stated something along the lines of he played a different style in the championship. Other than playing more of a low block off the ball, he played close to identical on the ball in the championship and in the premier league. 

I'm talking about everyone banging on about him being ultra-defensive. The man himself has literally explained how he changed them, going more defensive and conceding possession because they "had to address the goals and chances they conceded". That's a change of style defensively from the championship, which brought about much of what people are moaning about with him. 

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

You also have missed the bigger picture of my point, I’m not against Cooper. Do I find it underwhelming? Yes. My main point was our recruitment targets/extension of contracts will be based around a specific style of play. A style of play that does not suit Cooper’s style. Therefore the club failing with a “contingency plan”.

That ultimately sets up our current squad to potentially fail, Cooper to potentially fail by not having the right players for his system and new recruits to fail due to not being the right fit resulting in millions of pounds potentially wasted once again. 

In a recent article (I think it was Tanner, but not sure) they stated the board wanted someone to work closely with Glover, stating it was key to find someone who identifies with the same style of play. Think about it, all of Glover’s targets are going to be suitable for a possession based team. Therefore Cooper is going to have to adjust once again, which is fine but it’s not playing to a managers strengths. 

I want Cooper to succeed I really do, I’m just sick of the clubs scatter gun approach of different styles and philosophies. It weren’t too long ago they want the RB template hence Jessie Marsh being offered the job, now it’s Manchester City. There’s no clear plan for anyone to work too and ultimately shows no clear direction. 

I'm not missing the point, I've touched on it previously myself. As I said we tried for the Potter route which would be ideal in terms of choice. But how many people are out there playing the exact same style as Maresca? Maresca wasn't the same style as Rodgers, Rodgers wasn't the same style as Puel. They all have their own individual style within a framework of "we want a passing style". 

His words not mine, this is his ideal style he wants to have his teams playing "We want to play with purpose, dominate possession, play forward, and get the ball back as quick as we can".

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm not missing the point, I've touched on it previously myself. As I said we tried for the Potter route which would be ideal in terms of choice. But how many people are out there playing the exact same style as Maresca? Maresca wasn't the same style as Rodgers, Rodgers wasn't the same style as Puel. They all have their own individual style within a framework of "we want a passing style". 

His words not mine, this is his ideal style he wants to have his teams playing "We want to play with purpose, dominate possession, play forward, and get the ball back as quick as we can".

For me it wasn’t about getting someone playing the exact same style of Maresca but at the same time it was more about sticking to an attack minded possession based philosophy, who accommodates the playing squad we already have. That’s why I wanted Corberan badly, as I truly believed he ticked all the boxes.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s an article stating Cooper has hired someone to analyse his own management, we may very well see a completely different style of play now he’s had some time out of the game to reflect. But based off current evidence I don’t think Cooper’s style or formation suits our current playing squad.

But I would state, it’s nothing personal to Cooper as a manager or his ability as a manager. I love the fact he approached us regarding the job and showed he wanted to be here and I hope to be proven wrong, and will be the first to admit I was wrong and that I didn’t think it would suit the current squad.