Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Positives on the impending Cooper appointment

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What gets lost in a lot of this is why they don't want to leave and run their contract down - the salary they were on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but many were uncomfortable at the spiralling wage bill and this added to the perfect storm.

In some cases maybe, in many cases I don't think that's the reason. Tielemans, doubt it. IMO he thought his stock was going to be high, reality is it dropped off a cliff. If we'd been competitive still I think he'd have just signed on again. Soyuncu, likely to have been tapped up by some European clubs who were never going to pay what we wanted, and just saw it as a good way to get a good move. Maddison, again he was running it down to get the power back as we'd likely have wanted so much it would put off buyers. 

Some of the lower down players like Pratt, they've admitted we blocked moves due to thinking we couldn't replace his versibility. Then you have others whereby us letting them go cheap would mean even more PSR issues. And as I say, why sell a player cheap if you can't afford a better player, see Mendy situation. 

5 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

Can we at least allow him a league game? I can already imagine the fumes on here after the inevitable 1-1 draw against a some lower league cannon fodder like Port Vale or Leeds

I agree, He least deserves a chance. He should be all the better for his Forest experience.

I think he's a good Coach, It's wether he can get his idea's over to the players quickly and keep them onside.

This is a big opportunity for him he either kicks on here or likely fades away to oblivion to some lower league Team.

I'm delighted that we didn't go for the easy option of hiring someone with experience, Yes there's a risk hiring someone on the way up, but it's a risk worth taking I believe.   

Let's hope it's another fairytail story in our  illustrious career.  One thing for sure it's never dull around here.

Copper has his own reputation to worry about by coming to us. Of course we’re expected relegation anyway but if we are complete dross all year and end on a ridiculously low tally, his stock won’t exactly be high for another job. You have to remember he’s still got 20+ years to work in management so he obviously backs himself to be able to keep us up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I agree, He least deserves a chance. He should be all the better for his Forest experience.

I think he's a good Coach, It's wether he can get his idea's over to the players quickly and keep them onside.

This is a big opportunity for him he either kicks on here or likely fades away to oblivion to some lower league Team.

I'm delighted that we didn't go for the easy option of hiring someone with experience, Yes there's a risk hiring someone on the way up, but it's a risk worth taking I believe.   

Let's hope it's another fairytail story in our  illustrious career.  One thing for sure it's never dull around here.

Fairies have tails now? :frantics:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't want us to stay up just for the sake of it playing attritional football and scrabbling about for players. I want to see something I can identify with, I want to see us rebuilt on sensible wages, with young talented players who play an exciting style of football that's flexible and dynamic

With some things out of our control, and his, I'd be happy to stay up for the sake of it with any given method. The one thing it sounds like Cooper has going for him is the youth/youngster development. That bodes well when you think of some of the players coming through as you've mentioned. 

I'm not expecting the world from Cooper and given the off-field shenanigans I think it'd be unfair for us to demand that. But if he gets us some scrappy wins and occasionally gets us to play some attractive football then so be it. If we're getting a lucky draw against a bigger side or a scrappy 1-0 win over a relegation rival, again I won't be too fussed that it didn't come along with football that's easy on the eye. I'd be happy to leave that til next season if we survive as a way to get some identity about it. 

I imagine that from the rumours about why Potter didn't jump at the chance to manage us - wanting more control over transfers - it means that Cooper probably doesn't have much of a say. If that means Rudkin wields more control then I'd be worried. But that worry will be negated if we go back to our older recruitment model of buying young/cheap and selling for a big profit to re-invest in the squad. Difficult, but not impossible. 

I'm all for wanting something to identify with too, but we're in such a difficult moment as a club right now I'd take a 'survival of all costs' approach. Maybe if we start the season well I'd be open to more of a 'Leicester identity' but we just need to survive to begin with. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2024 at 00:15, funkyrobot said:

I would say the fact that 32 year old Vestergaard has been given a 3 year contract would suggest the drastic reset isn’t happening anytime soon.

Apparently the offer to Vesty was made when Enzo was still here.

On 22/06/2024 at 14:37, gurru991 said:

Apparently the offer to Vesty was made when Enzo was still here.

Yeh I know but that doesn't justify a 32yr old with a sketchy premier league history being given a 3 year contract. 

5 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Yeh I know but that doesn't justify a 32yr old with a sketchy premier league history being given a 3 year contract. 

I’m assuming that Maresca wanted it done.   Now we are stuck with him

Edited by gurru991

12 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I’m assuming that Maresca wanted it done.   Now we are stuck with him

Yes, the point I was making was the fact that Rudkin agreed to it shows the club have not learned from past mistakes. Give him a new contract by all means but 3 years is steep for a 32 year old. 

7 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Yes, the point I was making was the fact that Rudkin agreed to it shows the club have not learned from past mistakes. Give him a new contract by all means but 3 years is steep for a 32 year old. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets sold in Winter window if Cooper doesn't use him.

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets sold in Winter window if Cooper doesn't use him.

He refused to leave for 2 years whilst we were desperate to move him on, he's here for another 3 years now and it serves us right for being so stupid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He refused to leave for 2 years whilst we were desperate to move him on, he's here for another 3 years now and it serves us right for being so stupid.

Time will tell but one of those refusals was when his wife was 9 months pregnant. It will depend on whether Cooper decides to use him but based on last seasons performance & his age I think the right move might tempt him. 

Buying or extending players based on the managers wishes is always tricky as we've seen when the manager decides to move on. We didn't learn anything from the Rodgers era & I doubt we will learn anything from Maresca or the upcoming Cooper era.

That's what happens when a team doesn't have a proper DOF !!

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
On 21/06/2024 at 10:22, Babylon said:

In some cases maybe, in many cases I don't think that's the reason. Tielemans, doubt it. IMO he thought his stock was going to be high, reality is it dropped off a cliff. If we'd been competitive still I think he'd have just signed on again. Soyuncu, likely to have been tapped up by some European clubs who were never going to pay what we wanted, and just saw it as a good way to get a good move. Maddison, again he was running it down to get the power back as we'd likely have wanted so much it would put off buyers. 

Some of the lower down players like Pratt, they've admitted we blocked moves due to thinking we couldn't replace his versibility. Then you have others whereby us letting them go cheap would mean even more PSR issues. And as I say, why sell a player cheap if you can't afford a better player, see Mendy situation. 

Tieleman’s ‘stock dropped off a cliff’?

Explain.. he’s now pretty much playing each week for a team who have made the Champion’s league. And I expect earning a lot more money?

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Col city fan