Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

52 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

It was still their first choice back 4 and DM and players like Cook and Billing who played plenty of Prem football for them last season

Then they also brought 4 players off the bench who all started 25+ league games for them as well

Other than their goalkeeper and striker, throughout that game they used basically all of their main prem starters

we probably had more premier league expierence in our team than theres 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niyaminski said:

If we get relegated at the end of this season, does Cooper lead the charge back to the PL the season after?

I honestly think it depends on how we get relegated. If it’s Sheffield united level with zero fight then no but if we show some serious metal and just come up short then maybe. 

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What order do fans place Potter, Smith and Cooper in?

Dean Smith's Brentford and Villa career wasn't too dissimilar to Cooper at Swansea and then Forest. Smith got a much better tune out of Villa in his 2nd PL season though as they went quite far in to challenging for a top 7 place until they fell away when Grealish got injured.

His career has fallen now though and wouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Potter but why? Brighton weren't any better under him than Villa were. Potter also didn't do a great deal in the Championship before stepping up to the PL.

Maybe we've done OK getting Cooper in, time will tell.

I think a lot of people forget that potter and coopers record aren’t that dissimilar. Before the one brilliant season at Brighton, potter record wasn’t particularly great. Smith is ok but wouldn’t say anymore than that. Looking at it logically, has cooper really failed as such anywhere he’s been? Maybe forest in the third season but you could argue they’d have stayed up … I think it’s a very decent appointment but time will tell. 

Edited by Nolucklcfc
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I honestly think it depends on how we get relegated. If it’s Sheffield united level with zero fight then no but if we show some serious metal and just come up short then maybe. 

But Sheff Utd sold their best players to comply with FFP. They were onto a loser because of the stupid rules, which is kind of the problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

His tactics got us off to a flying start, and around Feb we were on for a records points total. His inexperience and inflexibility almost undid all the good work he put in place.  Both of those can be true. 

This isn’t aimed at you, but it generally amuses me how many people see everything as completely black or white. When the answer is almost always somewhere in the middle 

A flying start? 

Coventry should have beat us, Rotherham looked comfortable most the game, Cardiff missed a shed load of chances, I could go on. We were so lucky to get that start. We achieved it through sheer quality of the players. 

Maresca won't last 6 months at Chelsea. He got away with one big time last season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I think a lot of people forget that potter and coopers record aren’t that dissimilar. Before the one brilliant season at Brighton, potter record wasn’t particularly great. Smith is ok but wouldn’t say anymore than that. Looking at it logically, has cooper really failed as such anywhere he’s been? Maybe forest in the third season but you could argue they’d have stayed up … I think it’s a very decent appointment but time will tell. 

Totally different trajectory, though. Potter had Brighton fighting for Europe places before he left for Chelsea. Cooper had Forest fighting to stay up and he never got a sniff from the big clubs.

7 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

But Sheff Utd sold their best players to comply with FFP. They were onto a loser because of the stupid rules, which is kind of the problem. 

Sheff Utd did spend a bit as well though, bought some good players who were set to make the step up to the Prem such as Archer and Hamer. Of course they were a weak squad but more so than Luton? I don’t think so. The problem with Sheff Utd was they were beaten every week before taking the pitch. It was their mentality of being losers.

There was a stat around February which I shared with a couple of Blades fans in my

team at work (they were not appreciative) that they were the 4th highest goal scorers at Bramall Lane already in 2024 as teams like Villa, Arsenal and Brighton had already turned up and put 4/5 past them on a weekly basis and of course they conceded around 100 over the season come the end.

Basically even without the most talented squad, as long as the fight and pride is there, you will pick up more points and be in the conversation longer (like Luton over Sheff Utd). This is where I think Cooper is a good shout as I expect him to instil this.

8 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

I like what he's saying. He is saying all the right things and you can tell, he's grateful and privileged to be here.

Of course he says all the right things.

All managers start off saying pretty much the same stuff as he has, when they join a club, I wouldn't expect anything else.

• Like 1

Scouting has to be on point. Glover needs to work with Cooper on what he wants, and Cooper has to take seriously the players glover offers. Hopefully they can work in together to give us a fighting chance and improve the squad, or fill the gaps, as much as possible on a balanced budget. The thing I do like is that Cooper believes in youth, that is something I think will definitely carry over from Enzo. We have proven there is a pathway to the 1st team, so we need to attract and scout talented youngsters. Hopefully this is where Cooper can help and shine. 

2 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Of course he says all the right things.

All managers start off saying pretty much the same stuff as he has, when they join a club, I wouldn't expect anything else.

He does seem more genuine then others when he speaks, which I like. I can see why he's a popular figure wherever he's been 

4 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

He does seem more genuine then others when he speaks, which I like. I can see why he's a popular figure wherever he's been 

He's a polished performer in front of the camera  it's a good thing to be, and being a younger modern manager, its most most likely something he's worked on.

Gaining favour with what for him is a new set of fans, and also the press can be a help, especially when starting a new job.

Also possibly further down the line, when things aren't going so well, he will hope that being seen as a good bloke, and saying the right things to endear himself might give him a little more time to turn things round if need be.

Ultimately though he will be judged on results, and through all the sound bites and blarney that these managers come out with, that is what really matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Potter seems to have Brendan levels of arrogance. He'll probably end up at Celtic after England choose someone else. 

Ignore

Edited by LcFc_Smiv
My bad!

Cooper has a near impossible job but he’s at an incredibly good club (albeit with some morons in the exec dept) and quality players young & old to work with also excellent facilities and a decent owner.

given that he was available for a while it’s a great opportunity to show everyone what he can really do. He will be hungry to prove himself and that’s all we can ask for. Also think he’s not as stubborn and egotistic as Enzo. Like Ranieri did he can just pick up on the good things Enzo did and tune out the not so great stuff

25 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

How have you come to that? From that initial interview I would say their chalk and cheese, and that athletic article only goes further to portray him as a down to earth decent bloke. I also can’t remember him coming across like Rodgers in post-match interviews as the pressure was building on them both, which I remember always annoying me because Forest appeared to have a level headed manager while ours was blaming heatwaves in October and anything but himself.

Thinking he'll get the England job is arrogant 

9 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Granted they were up against it but they put up zero fight. Their fans will tell you that 

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

Totally different trajectory, though. Potter had Brighton fighting for Europe places before he left for Chelsea. Cooper had Forest fighting to stay up and he never got a sniff from the big clubs.

Potter was at Brighton longer and they were more established than forest at premier league level. Not to mention he wasn’t tasked with gelling 500 players 

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Potter seems to have Brendan levels of arrogance. He'll probably end up at Celtic after England choose someone else. 

Potter was my first choice, but I was hoping for a Potter who wanted to be here. The comparison to BR is probably spot on thinking about it. Who knows why the deal fell through, but I’d imagine going from a failed Chelsea stint to Leicester might seem like a step down for his career and there’s a chance he’d be poached quite quickly. He left a thriving Brighton for the big money, so I doubt we’d have been a big draw for him long term.

Cooper was my least favourite option, but now he’s here we just have to accept it. I enjoyed his interview, but felt some of the statements were a tick box exercise. He’s starting to win me over a little, but the big test will come when the team actually kick a ball. Hopefully things will click, he’ll keep us up and we can have a few years of much needed stability.

• Like 1