Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

Just now, Weller Wing said:

Spurs should have been out of sight

Fulham didn't break into a sweat

Villa didn't play that well and were there was every chance of picking up something,  yesterday. 

Nice enough bloke and you feel they'll give him time with all the new additions,  and that's fair tbh.

But I think he's negative and , as a result,  we won't get anywhere near the points tally required,  even without the points deduction.

Potter wouldn't be interested,  I don't think,  but they should have pushed harder for Corberan or Moyes

A poem that captures our current predicament.

• Like 1

10 games will be the sensible point for fair assessment. At that time we'll have played Everton, Southampton, Ipswich, Forest, and Palace. We need to be on at least 10 points there for me, and Cooper will need to be more attacking, but I think it'll be fair to see where we are then.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Starting to get to the stage where I can’t stand to mention his name. 

Problem I have, is I’m convinced he won’t last the season, so we’re going to prolong the inevitable… whereas there were some steady improvements today, his decisions in my opinions have cost us the chance to get two points on the board.

He has the international break to sort his formation out, lose to Palace and I’m calling for his head.

Blimey, if you can’t stand to mention his name, what did Rodgers do to you?! 

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

10 games will be the sensible point for fair assessment. At that time we'll have played Everton, Southampton, Ipswich, Forest, and Palace. We need to be on at least 10 points there for me, and Cooper will need to be more attacking, but I think it'll be fair to see where we are then.

10 games too many , he needs at least 6 points from the next two games, otherwise I feel the board will make a change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Happy Fox said:

10 games too many , he needs at least 6 points from the next two games, otherwise I feel the board will make a change.

I can see his position is under consideration... but that's only of interest if you have a better option to take....   any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

You think he'd be sacked if he was on 5 points from our first 5 games?

Unless he decides to play some of our attacking talent from the off we are always going to be hanging on in games from the start. We are trying to not get beat rather than trying to win.

He needs to rethink his tactics otherwise it is going to be a write off season. We have enough good attacking players to get after teams if only he will play them. Not a good start from the manager.

Can see a swell of fans getting on his back quickly if the negative tactics continue and his insistence on freezing out our best player in Ricardo. I think everyone on here can see it is a mistake so why can't he?

13 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Just interested to know, if he needs at least 6 points from the next 2 games (I.e minimum achievement) what would be the maximum achievement possible be? 

Just now, LCFCJohn said:

Just interested to know, if he needs at least 6 points from the next 2 games (I.e minimum achievement) what would be the maximum achievement possible be? 

A faultless 6 points playing well , attacking football and scoring goals :D,not too much to ask is it? lol

But I would take 2 scrappy 1-0 wins absolutely :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

Unless he decides to play some of our attacking talent from the off we are always going to be hanging on in games from the start. We are trying to not get beat rather than trying to win.

He needs to rethink his tactics otherwise it is going to be a write off season. We have enough good attacking players to get after teams if only he will play them. Not a good start from the manager.

Can see a swell of fans getting on his back quickly if the negative tactics continue and his insistence on freezing out our best player in Ricardo. I think everyone on here can see it is a mistake so why can't he?

The fans and pundits have seen it now. This is my concern as I can’t decide if he is thick or stubborn. 

36 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I definitely have an irrational dislike of Cooper because of his Forest link. 

Imagine if Manchester United fans thought that of Sir Matt Busby because he'd been a Liverpool player. 😂 Or then again Big Wes for us. That's how stupid it is. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

Cooper won't get dropped. They've stumped up for the contract.

The other thing that slightly bothers me is the board have now had a relegation and bounce back. That may actually make them more arrogant that when we go down again we come straight back up and I really don't think they appreciate last season. 

The next two games are pivotal. We should be playing teams with no points when we kick off. Crystal Palace should be better than they are currently but haven't started well. Everton are leaking goals. We have to win at least one.

Edited by Corky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Imagine if Manchester United fans thought that of Sir Matt Busby because he'd been a Liverpool player. 😂 Or then again Big Wes for us. That's how stupid it is. 

Well, when you work with two forest fans who are utter bellends, it’s quite easy. 

On 31/08/2024 at 09:56, LcFc_Smiv said:

It's funny how before the spurs game those opposing Cooper were talking about how we would get hammered every week. We had a poor 45 minutes and then turned out a very good 45 mins to get a draw against a team that will be in the top 6 come the end of the season. We then went to Fulham, which regardless of how many fans want to belittle other teams, have become a good, hard to beat PL side and we were competitive in spells losing 2-1. Now the goalposts have moved from we're going to get battered every week to the performances have been poor, there's no game plan, he doesn't pick his best players etc, yet we're only two weeks into the season and no one wants to afford him time to be able to work with a squad who was only just finished being put together last night. It's game week 3 of the season, there's a long way to go. 

Im not saying he's going to be a success, but I'll reserve my judgement for a while longer yet. What I have seen is a manager who can adapt to what other teams are trying to do, who has tried to make us hard to beat but recognises we haven't been good enough in spells and a manager who has seemingly been quite honest and open in what he has had to say. The constant negativity around here is boring, can we not just get behind a bloke who is seemingly trying to give us the best chance of survival until he gives us a genuine reason not to? At the moment we have people jumping on every little thing, putting opinion across as fact despite us all knowing close to F all about what it actually takes to work with a PL team.

that was his 9th game in charge

The bond between the players and manager last season was the best we have had for a while, I think that is lacking here and he has ripped most of that team apart already that was successful last season.

We also lost 6 backroom staff who where probably well liked and replaced them with worse.

Not a very wise appointment from the off really, Coberan would have been perfect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Deluded if you take anything from friendlies, or more that your looking for any excuse to get at the bloke.

Just out of curiosity.....

What's your opinion.

Do you think a manager would prefer the first 10 games that included a full preseason and transfer window.

Or 10 games into a season with a squad he has inherited?

If the owners/directors of any company are doing their jobs properly, they will always have replacements in mind for all key roles of the business. Just in case people leave or fail to perform. 

No different at a football club.

I Really hope there is work being done to identify and prepare for Cooper's replacement.

Don't get me wrong, we're heading into a crucial period of our season and if he gets results (ie. points), he will buy himself time and can even secure his medium-term future.

But if anyone at the club thinks that what they've seen so far is enough to convince them that Cooper is the man to keep us up, then we could be in serious trouble. Failing to act like we did with Rodgers should still be fresh in the mind of everyone in that leadership team. 

Just now, HitchinFox said:

If the owners/directors of any company are doing their jobs properly, they will always have replacements in mind for all key roles of the business. Just in case people leave or fail to perform. 

No different at a football club.

I Really hope there is work being done to identify and prepare for Cooper's replacement.

Don't get me wrong, we're heading into a crucial period of our season and if he gets results (ie. points), he will buy himself time and can even secure his medium-term future.

But if anyone at the club thinks that what they've seen so far is enough to convince them that Cooper is the man to keep us up, then we could be in serious trouble. Failing to act like we did with Rodgers should still be fresh in the mind of everyone in that leadership team. 

Unfortunately West Brom have started very well and look a decent bet for automatic promotion, so  the Corberan ship may already have sailed…