Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Steve Cooper - New Manager

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think there will be more to it than that.

I once had a fairly demanding boss. However, the same boss was actually very good, shared success with the team and pushed people to become better versions of themselves and earn their own rewards. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but all respected him. Eventually this boss left for greater things and a replacement came in. The new boss was way more easy going and didn't push people. For the first month, the staff loved the new approach as they weren't so stressed. But after 3 months, it was very clear that things were starting to go to pot, and that the easy-going nature was more like winging it and vibes rather than a decisive leadership style.

In such cases it comes down to the indiviudals, but I remember a lot of us weren't happy with the new person because it felt like everyone was going backwards. That was almost inevitably going to happen at LCFC, and I suspect it might have happened regardless of who was brought in. Maresca worked next to Pep, so he knows first hand the way that arguably the best tactical manager in history does things. His level of detail is probably unmatched other than by the other Pep disciples.

This is exactly what I feared when Maresca left. However divided the fans may have been about his style of play, there was no doubt that the players and staff at the club were in awe of him. He has a very clear objective about the way he wanted the team to play, showed incredible attention to detail and held everybody to a high standard. And of course, it worked - we won the division. 

Succeeding him was always going to be a tough gig for any new manager - replacing a successful and highly-respected boss is obviously much more difficult than succeeding an unsuccessful and unpopular one. I do feel a bit for Cooper - he seems like a good guy and he may even turn out be a good manager, but he's clearly operating under a bit of an Enzo hangover at the club. The solution is in his hands, though - if he gets us playing positive football and winning games, any talk of dressing room unrest will evaporate. 

• Like 4

I was quite positive about Cooper. He did really well at Forest under the circumstances and he appeared to be liked by his players and loved by the fans.

We're going to need a different approach at times in order to stay up, but this news has me worried.

Were the players not consulted on the type of manager they wanted to work with? Was due diligence not done on this during Cooper's interview? Did we just think that he was going to impose his working methods without rubbing a few players up the wrong way?

No manager is going to please every player. If it's just a few of them and we can continue to work as a squad and start picking up results then there's no need to panic.

But if he's pissing off most of them and we can clearly play better football than we are doing, and include more of our attacking talent, then this is a reason to worry and we should just go and get Corberan ASAP.

19 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

His set up like Southgate at the euro’s is not to lose rather than looking to win. This is all very well and good against the so called top 6 sides but couldn’t understand the logic of doing that against Fulham. A bit more attacking intent against Fulham and we could of got at least a point. 

Better defending at Fulham and we'd have got a point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

At Notts Forest he had shit players and relied on basically togetherness and hard work solely to get them through. In my opinion our dressing room maybe thinks they're a bit above relying purely on that and want to play with a bit more quality. 

Ultimately comes back to it being a really shit appointment. 

I think it goes even further than that.  We appointed Maresca last season and he got us up as expected.  Despite the boring football on view for a lot of the time he did what was expected.  I doubt they expected him to jump ship at the first opportunity as soon as we were back in the Prem but we should have made sure we employed someone who was buying in to the regeneration of the playing side for the long haul then.  Continuity would have been vital this season.

Coopers appointment always smacked of desperation and as much as I want him and Leicester to succeed, I have major doubts.  3 defensive midfielders at home, trying not to lose games of football should be a sackable offence itself if it happens again.  I have no idea why we have not seen any of Ricardo in the league yet and Mavadidi is being severely underused. I still do not understand the getting Prem experience in to the squad as we already have it in abundance.  I fear if he stays we will be relegated by some distance.

Edited by Basildon Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think there will be more to it than that.

I once had a fairly demanding boss. However, the same boss was actually very good, shared success with the team and pushed people to become better versions of themselves and earn their own rewards. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but all respected him. Eventually this boss left for greater things and a replacement came in. The new boss was way more easy going and didn't push people. For the first month, the staff loved the new approach as they weren't so stressed. But after 3 months, it was very clear that things were starting to go to pot, and that the easy-going nature was more like winging it and vibes rather than a decisive leadership style.

In such cases it comes down to the indiviudals, but I remember a lot of us weren't happy with the new person because it felt like everyone was going backwards. That was almost inevitably going to happen at LCFC, and I suspect it might have happened regardless of who was brought in. Maresca worked next to Pep, so he knows first hand the way that arguably the best tactical manager in history does things. His level of detail is probably unmatched other than by the other Pep disciples.

Peter Taylor after MON?

The players loved it. Played like duffers but had a great time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We also didn't have a single shot 2nd half until the closing minutes. 

Don't get me wrong. I come away from the game very weird. I felt Fulham had to do very little to win the game but also had the game been a draw I don't think anybody would have been surprised.

• Like 1

It does make me wonder if many at the club are regretting the decision after seeing him at work and this has been ‘leaked’ by someone to start to sow the seeds of justifying a very early parting of the ways. I have no doubt that the fact we no longer have the threat of the points deduction looming over us will make us a more attractive proposition, it has always felt that Cooper was a bit of a panic/short term cheap appointment and I do wonder if this is paving the way for us to move forward with a more progressive and ambitious coach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

That's ridiculous and completely not my point but have a good day.

We were poor. Fulham beat us in 2nd gear. We're not going to trouble teams unless we actually attack them.

Fulham got their lead back and just saw the game out with absolute ease.

The score line made it look close but really Fulham won't have an easier game for a long time. Same with Villa. Just a routine win without us ever really dangering it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

We were poor. Fulham beat us in 2nd gear. We're not going to trouble teams unless we actually attack them.

Fulham got their lead back and just saw the game out with absolute ease.

The score line made it look close but really Fulham won't have an easier game for a long time. Same with Villa. Just a routine win without us ever really dangering it.

I said no different. OP "a bit more attacking at Fulham and we'd have a point" well yeah and same can be said about defending hence my post. Defending was awful for both goals but not a surprise to me.

I'm not implying we deserved to win, we didn't. I thought a point would have been a fair result though and, interestingly, walking back from the game a lot of Fulham fans thought the same.

33 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Better defending and better attacking and we win every single game we've ever played.

lolThats like saying if i was taller, better looking, had a personality and money i'd be shagging Michelle Keegan!!!!!

This is her by the way...

image.png.1b25f35a5025c6cf47c4b299068d4363.png

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

“That is because they were used to being told exactly what to do in almost every aspect of the game by his predecessor Enzo Maresca.

Cooper prefers players to think for themselves and make their own decisions, which some Foxes have found difficult.

His habit of asking them for input on tactics — and even about potential signings — has also left a few of them nonplussed”

Almost like that’s why he wants senior pros with experience, seems like he is out of his depth 

look i’m not coopers fan at all but this is simply a management style. 

It’s not that he doesn’t have ideas or thoughts, it’s that he is a communicator who tries to set up players with something they are comfortable with and that they believe in. 

There are many great managers that will work with their best players to find the best solutions to team issues. They are the ones on the pitch, so they get a sense for what isn’t working for them. 

The signing part is a bit barmy, but i don’t believe it. We have a scouting network we weren’t suddenly getting players because kristiansen rates them ffs. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1